According to hoopshype, we're in the mix for Eddy Curry

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by upsidedownside7, Sep 22, 2005.

1. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

That Eddy has been mediocre on D and poor rebounding has me thinking I don't want to give a lot for Curry. Why not play Zarko at C? Zarko also can score and probably would be about even with Eddy rebounding and defending. Ike would be better than Eddy on D,on the boards,and may score as much.

If Pietrus+Foyle was what we gave-goodbye defense. Sure I'd take EC at The right price (Taft + Fish+ a future rd 2?)...but the Bulls may find one team willing to give too much. [​IMG]

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Biedrins and Curry would be one crowded paint area, but definitely athletic and big. It could certainly work since Andris Biedrins is in between a center and a power forward, (but definitely more athletic like a power forward) so he could play some power forward. Andy actually played small forward in summer league last year which was pretty cool because he could keep in front of his assignment. Despite his weird shooting hitch and inconsistency shooting that way, he's got some potential to grow his perimeter skills. He could nail some shots outside the paint [espn insider reported it before the draft last year: link ).

Anyway, back on track: The problem is Curry would have to be one consistent inside scorer at center and Andy himself has got no consistent or reliable offensive skills to be a starting power forward as he doesn't even have a midrange game (All he has is the lefty hook and a drop step move and a weird shooting form). Diogu's too unproven and it's a mystery whether a 6'8 guy will be successful since a lot of guys that size struggle to produce offensively as well as defensively. The floor would be really crowded on offense with a guy like Biedrins and I don't know if Curry knows how to dish out of double teams or score well enough to make it so Biedrins doesn't have to. If Curry is the center piece inside then we should build supporting offense/defense primarily around him.

Now going back to Andy: If Andy's upside is like a Marcus Camby without the 18 footer, Kmart without the midrange shot or what Tyson Chandler is now, primarily defensive guys that score on putbacks and feeds off the point guards, it'd be nice for one of the bigs to step out and hit something from 15 or 18 feet away. Andy wouldn't be that guy since Curry would theoretically be the dude that you'd want inside all the time to get the 50 fg% and the touch foul. Andy has potential to work on that shooting form to increase his shot range, but I don't think it's his game. It's probably why he wants to be a center instead of a power forward as he likes to bang inside the paint, himself.

How do we measure how effective Curry's post play would be? If Curry was a better outlet passer or interior passer like Shaq or Yao I think he would definitely be an okay fit with a raw Biedrins, but I see Eddy as a ballstopper that's not going to make anyone better. There's dominant post play like ballhoggin' Zach Randolph/Jermaine O'neil and then there's dominant post play that gets everyone involved out on the wing. But I guess we have to settle for what's out there if the price is right and the opportunity comes along to grab a type of player that we don't have yet. Curry is a scoring center at 6'10-6'11 at 285 lbs, low rebounding, poor defense, poor effort and although few teams have anything like that to match up with, it could be a problem. Heck, I wish we had Jermaine O'neil/Zach Randolph (Zebo )type inside play and those guys are super ballhogs, but they are consistent players and they make the team better in other ways. I think about the other things JO does like play defense, rebound and get fouled, and the fact Zebo is one solid rebounder, gets to the line and has some shooting touch to play further out so that another inside player could play in.

I'm just saying Curry's got to be one consistent dude and I don't know if he's going to work hard at that. Guys like Biedrins/Diogu/Murphy/Foyle certainly will work hard and the younger guys have some potential to be decent to great scorers and provide inside presence in addition to doing the things they are known for like rebounding, shotblocking, passing, boxing out and hustling.

3. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">That Eddy has been mediocre on D and poor rebounding has me thinking I don't want to give a lot for Curry. Why not play Zarko at C? Zarko also can score and probably would be about even with Eddy rebounding and defending. Ike would be better than Eddy on D,on the boards,and may score as much.

If Pietrus+Foyle was what we gave-goodbye defense. Sure I'd take EC at The right price (Taft + Fish+ a future rd 2?)...but the Bulls may find one team willing to give too much. [​IMG]</div> I think Zarko at center would be the same result as playing Cliff Robinson at center. You got a good passer and a guy that can score like a forward in addition to handling it some, but we'd get creamed inside more than Murph at center because at least Murph will fight for position to grab the defensive board.

Considering most of the league's starting fives are built to do a couple things like rebound, block shots, and control the paint, I just think Zarko's going to get nailed on the rebound and wind up getting hurt again if 260 lb guys are leaning on him and banging into him hard. The guy weighs about 10 lbs heavier than Chris Bosh, but he ain't nearly as strong as Bosh to slide up one position. Even though we did it last year playing Zarko at center, it looked pretty bad on the other end if we weren't controlling the tempo of the game. It could work on matchups where the other center just plain sucks.

I remember Zarko had some moments where he looked like Dirk Nowitzki off the bench. He was scoring, passing, driving, rebounding, altering shots. He looked good. Oh and he does box out, set picks, set screens, and do all the little things, he just isn't very strong for his size.

4. Custodianrules2

Hey, I noticed earlier in this topic we mentioned using our trade exception to get such a restricted player as Curry. That's not doable because the TE cannot be used in a sign and trade situation can it?

Also, how hard it is it to trade a BYC1 player such as Murphy? We basically have to take some salary back, correct? I thought using a BYC1 player in a trade would be doable just so long as the terms/numbers of the sign and trade player we're trading for, add up.

5. bayareafan85

bayareafan85 JBB JustBBall Member

In looking at W's history, we used to have an exciting team during the Run TMC days. Then one day we traded for a player named Billy Owens. He was a decent player with lots of talent but questionable heart. I still think that was the beginning of the end of that time period.
    If Curry's internal drive is already in question and he wants lots of money based on his potential then let it pass. I would rather have a player that might be less talented and driven (Murphy) than another Owens or Dampier.
    Unless we can get Curry for almost nothing (like B. Davis) and can sign him to a two year deal, let him go. Curry sounds like he could disrupt the good vibes the W's have right now.

6. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Hey, I noticed earlier in this topic we mentioned using our trade exception to get such a restricted player as Curry. That's not doable because the TE cannot be used in a sign and trade situation can it?

Also, how hard it is it to trade a BYC1 player such as Murphy? We basically have to take some salary back, correct? I thought using a BYC1 player in a trade would be doable just so long as the terms/numbers of the sign and trade player we're trading for, add up.</div>

Well, I think trade exception can't be traded if it's packaged with sign and trade deal. I believe it can be used in sign and trade deal as long as we do not package it. The main problem is that trade exception works if we receive BYC players, not trade BYC players like Murphy.

If Murphy is first year BYC player, his salary only count 50%. Since, it's first year of Murphy's 6 year contract, his contract probably will be about 8 mils this year. That means when we trade him, Murphy's value count as only 4 mils. But, since his real value is 8 mils, the receiving team must have the room to absorb extra 4 mils, which is basically impossible if you don't have TE or caproom. We can make a huge package to fit everything in 15% difference, but that would be very big package, and I don't think we will find a suitor.

So, if Chicago have TE, Murphy for Curry swap wouldn't be a stretch. But, since I don't believe they have that, trading Murphy is very unlikly...

7. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Very well put Kwan...

8. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kwan1031:</div><div class="quote_post">Well, I think trade exception can't be traded if it's packaged with sign and trade deal. I believe it can be used in sign and trade deal as long as we do not package it. The main problem is that trade exception works if we receive BYC players, not trade BYC players like Murphy.

If Murphy is first year BYC player, his salary only count 50%. Since, it's first year of Murphy's 6 year contract, his contract probably will be about 8 mils this year. That means when we trade him, Murphy's value count as only 4 mils. But, since his real value is 8 mils, the receiving team must have the room to absorb extra 4 mils, which is basically impossible if you don't have TE or caproom. We can make a huge package to fit everything in 15% difference, but that would be very big package, and I don't think we will find a suitor.

So, if Chicago have TE, Murphy for Curry swap wouldn't be a stretch. But, since I don't believe they have that, trading Murphy is very unlikly...</div>

Kwan,
    The % hit becomes smaller after a certain date, correct? But in this case, Curry would be doing a S&T and can't be traded after a certain date as well. How exactly does that work?

9. bayareafan85

bayareafan85 JBB JustBBall Member

Kwan,
    The W's need to hire you as thier cap guru now before Mully signs Dunn to a huge contract. You speak the truth

10. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, first year is 50% and second year is 75%. Actually, I am not exactly sure when they become first year and second year BYC (whether the day they sign or some certain set date), and that's why I am not too sure whether Murphy is first year BYC or poison pill status (worse than BYC).

If you sign and trade, BYC statue (I believe) or waiting period doesn't affect the trade, so there is no problem for Curry side. But if you sign and don't go through sign and trade route at that moment, you have to wait 90 days till next trade. So, guys like Chandler, who just signed an extention can't go through sign and trade or can't be traded for 90 days...

11. Mister Jennings

Mister Jennings JBB JustBBall Member

Mickael does make sense for them teamed up with Hinrich gives them a very good defensive backcourt, and when Gordon comes in he can guard the bigger guy. I just don't want to lose him, but I would rather him go to an eastern conference team, than let's say the Nuggets. He hit 5 of 7 from downtown in the Euro consolation game, is he a better 3 point shooter than Dunleavy?

Custodian - Thanks, it's good to be back.

12. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting bayareafan85:</div><div class="quote_post">Kwan,
    The W's need to hire you as thier cap guru now before Mully signs Dunn to a huge contract. You speak the truth</div>
    Word. And while they are at it sign REREM as a scout.

13. upsidedownside7

upsidedownside7 JBB JustBBall Member

The "inside source" for online warrior fans is saying Curry will be a no go for the warriors. Apparently Atlanta is working something out for him.

The more Curry refuses to take the test, the more it seems like he took the test privately and may have failed it. A Bulls fan made a good post:

<u>"I firmly believe he privately has and since the results came back bad for him, he is refusing to take the Bulls test.

It would be staggeringly stupid not to do a private test. IF he would have passed it, he would have shown the results to Pax and the contract would have already been done and he would have been millions of dollars richer. He probably took it and failed it and decided to keep it private. That's why he is so adverse to taking it.

I spent a few years as a criminal defense attorney. If the prosecutor was was the type that was amenable to dropping charges on a passing lie detector test, we would always pre-test the client. If he passed the private and confidential test (it was usually a 'he'), we would approach the pros., if he failed, we never raised the issue.

BTW, I seriously doubt anybody on this board have seen the information that the insurance company used to deny Curry coverage. Each side can point to their "experts" but most experts will err on the side of a diagnosis that favors their client. "hey doc, here's several thousand bucks. We want you to test this person. We would *prefer* that he be cleared to play. It is his livelihood. We know the risks and will not hold you liable for any misdiagnosis." OR, even easier, "Eddy, you have appointments with 5 doctors. We'll show the Bulls the ones that say what we want and ignore the ones that don't. We do have doctor/patient confidentiality."

GO Bulls. After the crap Alonzo Mourning pulled, I would be careful too."
    </u>

Too bad. At least we have a miniature version of Curry in Taft. Taft is a better defender but not as refined or skilled as Curry. He is a better rebounder as well.

14. Custodianrules2

Oh well no loss for us if we can't get Curry. The heart thing is too risky and it would suck if he died right on the court.

BTW, thanks for being the first to answer my questions, Kwan. What would Warriorland be without you? [​IMG]

15. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting bayareafan85:</div><div class="quote_post">In looking at W's history, we used to have an exciting team during the Run TMC days. Then one day we traded for a player named Billy Owens. He was a decent player with lots of talent but questionable heart. I still think that was the beginning of the end of that time period.
    If Curry's internal drive is already in question and he wants lots of money based on his potential then let it pass. I would rather have a player that might be less talented and driven (Murphy) than another Owens or Dampier.
    Unless we can get Curry for almost nothing (like B. Davis) and can sign him to a two year deal, let him go. Curry sounds like he could disrupt the good vibes the W's have right now.</div>
    What about Foyle for Curry? Man I'd do that in a heartb----. errrr... I mean I'd do that in a jiffy.

16. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">What about Foyle for Curry? Man I'd do that in a heartb----. errrr... I mean I'd do that in a jiffy.</div>

Hey quit stealing my stuff... [​IMG]

17. Mister Jennings

Mister Jennings JBB JustBBall Member

So Curry seems out which is fine, it is a much safer move to not bring him aboard and disrupt what we are building.