AI G'd up from the feet up

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by AIFan, Nov 1, 2005.

1. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">What? AI did not bring Hip Hop culture into the NBA. The culture was in the game long before Iverson came around. The ABA brought Hip Hop culture into the NBA... Dr J, The Iceman etc. Even Shaq-Fu was more instrumental than AI, so were the Fab 5 from Michigan with the baggy shorts and black socks.</div>
    I didn't say Iverson invented the Hiphop culture, nor did I say he brought it in the NBA. Hiphop has been around long before Iverson, I realize this. There are different forms of Hiphop, old school and new school. As far as the one that brought the "new" form of Hiphop culture to the NBA media, it's Iverson by far. Before Iverson, Micheal Jordan, Dr.J, all had a business look. Iverson came in the league opposite of that. From the way he dressed, his speech, and his physical appearance.

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rock4life:</div><div class="quote_post">I didn't say Iverson invented the Hiphop culture, nor did I say he brought it in the NBA. Hiphop has been around long before Iverson, I realize this. There are different forms of Hiphop, old school and new school. As far as the one that brought the "new" form of Hiphop culture to the NBA media, it's Iverson by far. Before Iverson, Micheal Jordan, Dr.J, all had a business look. Iverson came in the league opposite of that. From the way he dressed, his speech, and his physical appearance.</div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rock4life:</div><div class="quote_post">I meant hiphop culture in the NBA. He's the one who brought it to the media's attention.</div>

Actually you did make the statement AI brought it into the NBA and the media's attention, which is completely false. Allen Iverson came into the league without the tattoos or cornrows. Again, making a false claim about Iverson. He went through a dramatic image change, but so did Dennis Rodman. Here's a picture of his rookie card and when he was a Hoya.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Actually you did make the statement AI brought it into the NBA and the media's attention, which is completely false. Allen Iverson came into the league without the tattoos or cornrows. Again, making a false claim about Iverson. He went through a dramatic image change, but so did Dennis Rodman. Here's a picture of his rookie card and when he was a Hoya.
    </div>
    It's not false, it's 100% fact. He was the first person to realize that he didn't have to act or dress like MJ, he dressed and talked like he wanted too. His style, and swagger made it easier for the NBA to relate to Hiphop culture, and vice versa. Never once did I see a player where his durag to a press conference before Iverson. He's the reason why you see players with cornrolls, and tattoos on they're neck. It was new to corporate america, but to us, it was a mirror image to some of us in black america. You can't deny that. Others may have had contributions, but Iverson changed the whole style of the NBA.

4. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rock4life:</div><div class="quote_post">It's not false, it's 100% fact. He was the first person to realize that he didn't have to act or dress like MJ, he dressed and talked like he wanted too. His style, and swagger made it easier for the NBA to relate to Hiphop culture, and vice versa. Never once did I see a player where his durag to a press conference before Iverson. He's the reason why you see players with cornrolls, and tattoos on they're neck. It was new to corporate america, but to us, it was a mirror image to some of us in black america. You can't deny that. Others may have had contributions, but Iverson changed the whole style of the NBA.</div>

No he wasn't the first person, maybe for a lot of young people who were new to basketball. Maybe for you he was, but not for the majority of people currently watching the NBA. Deion Sanders was probably the first athlete to make Doo Rags popular. Rodman was the first to cover his body in tattoos. I'm sure other players had cornrows before Iverson as well.

What made Iverson popular was not his imagery. What made him popular was the "underdog" stigma attached to him. Every sports fan loves a good underdog story and Iverson was the main character for that role. He was the first player to leave Georgetown early under John Thompson. His fan base was there long before he came into the league. The reason why he was recognized and embraced by the media early on was the fact he played great and won game for the 76ers. All those factors precluded his current image. Everyone wanted to follow this undersized shooting guard who was taking the lead by storm as a rookie and putting moves on the legend himself Michael Jordan. Iverson was popular in the NBA before the tattoos, cornrows, doo rags, throwback jerseys, and jewelry. So stop trying to paint a picture that he was a pioneer for the sport and hip hop culture, because for most he's not.

5. AIFan

AIFan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Allen Iverson came into the league without the tattoos or cornrows. He went through a dramatic image change
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]</div>
    Yes, he was a clean slate when he came into the league, but that means nothing because he's always been the person he is today. AI couldn't afford to get all the ink and ice any other time, hell, him mom could barely keep the lights on and the rent paid. He didn't "turn into" the person he is today, he's always been that person and now has the financial freedom to do the things he couldn't do before to express himself in the way he chooses. And as for the braids, he only started wearing them after getting tired of getting jacked up haircuts while he was out on the road.

6. AIFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Avery:</div><div class="quote_post">He has money, he could have least get his cloths fitted.</div>I figured it was a matter of time before somebody chimed in knockin' his style. Comedy.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting 44Thrilla:</div><div class="quote_post">Wow, I didn't realize that Avery was a typical example of "corporate America" that would need for the players to paint themselves white before he respected them.</div>Rock4life made a very valid observation, Avery did too. Avery is right, in the sense that AI's true character shows through no matter what he wears. He's gonna put a hip hop twist on whatever he wears, that's just how it's goin' down. He ain't gonna turn into a square just cause of this dress code. He is what he is, take it or leave it. And I agree with Rock4Life that people are gonna find something to complain about regardless of how their dressed, especially AI cause he's already misunderstood and so many people have formed an opinion of him based on all the overyhyped bs they hear/see in the media. Stern can sugar coat it all he wants, but at the end of the day, clothes aren't gonna change the man.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Hardly, AI does not symbolize the Hip Hop generation at all. Hip Hop is based on four core elements, Dancing, Graffiti, DJing, and the MC. Some where in time Hip Hop became a media label encompassing more than those elements, but true hip hop heads know the roots of the culture, and Allen Iverson the basketball player has nothing to do with it.</div>You're trying way too hard to sound like you know something. First of all, in the NBA, AI is the posterboy of the hip hop GENERATION. What you "educated" us about is the hip hop CULTURE. You're trying to act like he said AI is the godfather of hip hop or something, easy guy.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">What? AI did not bring Hip Hop culture into the NBA. The culture was in the game long before Iverson came around. The ABA brought Hip Hop culture into the NBA... Dr J, The Iceman etc. Even Shaq-Fu was more instrumental than AI, so were the Fab 5 from Michigan with the baggy shorts and black socks.</div>Agreed...AI did not bring the hip hop culture to the NBA, but he represents the hip hop generation like nobody ever did before him. Before you go on a stroke inducing rampage, let's be clear that by Hip Hop generation we are referring to the generation of basketball players who grew up during the crack invasion of the 80's when rap music blew up and made everybody realize that it was more than a fad, it was a way of life. They grew up listening to Run DMC, Doug E Fresh, Slick Rick, KRS ONE, and embraced the culture of hip hop, where "keeping it real" is the motto. Nobody has kept it more real than AI. Guys have made it to the NBA from the slums of the ghetto, get some money and become a different person, forget where they came from, AI stayed the same person he's always been and that's why he's so popular. He could have easily cashed in on his sucess and sold out but that's not who he is. Yes, like everybody, he wants to give his family the life he never had, but he didn't want to sell his soul in the process. I don't think anybody can argue that he's done a bad job and not only providing for his family but also at staying true to himself and not giving in to the almightly dollar.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Allen Iverson came into the league without the tattoos or cornrows. He went through a dramatic image change
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]</div>
    Yes, he was a clean slate when he came into the league, but that means nothing because he's always been the person he is today. AI couldn't afford to get all the ink and ice any other time, hell, him mom could barely keep the lights on and the rent paid. He didn't "turn into" the person he is today, he's always been that person and now has the financial freedom to do the things he couldn't do before to express himself in the way he chooses. And as for the braids, he only started wearing them after getting tired of getting jacked up haircuts while he was out on the road.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rock4life:</div><div class="quote_post">It's not false, it's 100% fact. He was the first person to realize that he didn't have to act or dress like MJ, he dressed and talked like he wanted too. Others may have had contributions, but Iverson changed the whole style of the NBA.</div>Exactly!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Deion Sanders was probably the first athlete to make Doo Rags popular. I'm sure other players had cornrows before Iverson as well.

So stop trying to paint a picture that he was a pioneer for the sport and hip hop culture, because for most he's not.</div>Deion Sanders play basketball? Alright then. We're talking about AI's impact in the NBA, not what athlete did what first and where. AI was the first player in the NBA to wear cornrows when he busted out with em at the 96-97 Rookie game, them braids were bad too, LOL.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it's a well known fact that when the hip hop generation of NBA players is mentioned, Allen Iverson is the face that pops up first.

7. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Why is AI carrying a purse to the game?</div>

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Very funny Shape..

I don't get why it's so hard to comply? Look at basketball compared to football, it's nothing. It's not that hard to comply with a dress code. A.I. is being stubborn, and that's why he has a negative image to many people, he wants to do things his way...it's not hard to get dressed up Allen, c'mon...

8. AIFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting K8B:</div><div class="quote_post">
    I don't get why it's so hard to comply? A.I. is being stubborn, and that's why he has a negative image to many people, he wants to do things his way</div>From the looks of the picture I posted, he did comply. You point is moot. He is voicing his right as a citizen of this country to voice his opinion, some agree, some don't, get over it. Can't be all things to all people.

9. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">No he wasn't the first person, maybe for a lot of young people who were new to basketball. Maybe for you he was, but not for the majority of people currently watching the NBA. Deion Sanders was probably the first athlete to make Doo Rags popular. Rodman was the first to cover his body in tattoos. I'm sure other players had cornrows before Iverson as well..</div>
    Your not getting my point. I'm speaking just NBA terms here, so Deon is irrelevant. You can can't compare Rodman and Iverson because Rodman was seen as a freak show, Iverson was seen as a hero to urban youth.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">What made Iverson popular was not his imagery. What made him popular was the "underdog" stigma attached to him. Every sports fan loves a good underdog story and Iverson was the main character for that role. He was the first player to leave Georgetown early under John Thompson. His fan base was there long before he came into the league. The reason why he was recognized and embraced by the media early on was the fact he played great and won game for the 76ers. All those factors precluded his current image. Everyone wanted to follow this undersized shooting guard who was taking the lead by storm as a rookie and putting moves on the legend himself Michael Jordan. Iverson was popular in the NBA before the tattoos, cornrows, doo rags, throwback jerseys, and jewelry. So stop trying to paint a picture that he was a pioneer for the sport and hip hop culture, because for most he's not.</div>
    I agree with that partly, but more than a underdog, he was also seen as a rebel. He came in the league as a underdog, but after his first couple seasons it was part "underdog", part "badboy". People love badboys too. He's the one who told the greatest player in the world "I don't want be like Mike". He had a new style of play, a new style of appearance, and new swagger that changed the NBA. That's undeniable.

10. Brasco

Brasco JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AIFan:</div><div class="quote_post">.

Yes, he was a clean slate when he came into the league, but that means nothing because he's always been the person he is today. AI couldn't afford to get all the ink </div>

yeah because poor people can't afford tatooes...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Deion Sanders play basketball? Alright then. </div>

he played football and basketball

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    You're entitled to your opinion, but it's a well known fact that when the hip hop generation of NBA players is mentioned, Allen Iverson is the face that pops up first.</div>

AI represented street culture in the NBA not hip hop, jalen rose chris webber those guys from the early 90's were the first to actually bring hip hop style into the league. AI brought street style which everyone confuses for hip hop.

BTW A.I can't rap for ****

11. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AIFan:</div><div class="quote_post">
    You're trying way too hard to sound like you know something. First of all, in the NBA, AI is the posterboy of the hip hop GENERATION. What you "educated" us about is the hip hop CULTURE. You're trying to act like he said AI is the godfather of hip hop or something, easy guy.</div>

No need to chastise me. I don't need to justify my knowledge of hip hop. I was pointing it out to Rock4Life on the subject, because basketball is not hip hop related, never was and never will be.

AI is not the posterboy for the hip hop generation in the NBA or anywhere else. Basketball and hip hop don't have anything to do with each other. Plus the fact AI doesn't represent the majority of fans watching the game today. He might represent the younger generation, but he certainly doesn't represent anyone 20 or older.

Agreed...AI did not bring the hip hop culture to the NBA, but he represents the hip hop generation like nobody ever did before him. Before you go on a stroke inducing rampage, let's be clear that by Hip Hop generation we are referring to the generation of basketball players who grew up during the crack invasion of the 80's when rap music blew up and made everybody realize that it was more than a fad, it was a way of life. They grew up listening to Run DMC, Doug E Fresh, Slick Rick, KRS ONE, and embraced the culture of hip hop, where "keeping it real" is the motto. Nobody has kept it more real than AI. Guys have made it to the NBA from the slums of the ghetto, get some money and become a different person, forget where they came from, AI stayed the same person he's always been and that's why he's so popular. He could have easily cashed in on his sucess and sold out but that's not who he is. Yes, like everybody, he wants to give his family the life he never had, but he didn't want to sell his soul in the process. I don't think anybody can argue that he's done a bad job and not only providing for his family but also at staying true to himself and not giving in to the almightly dollar.</div>

What does "keeping it real" really mean for Allen Iverson? It's one of the worst expressions ever. Not forgetting where you come from is admirable and I respect it. But just because a person changes their image one way or another doesn't mean they've forgotten where they came from. A lot of these kids know exactly where they came from and want to do everything they can to get out of that situation and not be associated with it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that and you shouldn't feel those people are sellouts or not "keeping it real." Those people wanted to make a change in their lifestyle, change is healthy.

Exactly!
    </div>

Not having money does not prevent a person from getting tattoos. How does buying expensive jewelry and getting tattoos help Iverson "keep it real," when Iverson has always been the same person before he changed his appearance?

Deion Sanders play basketball? Alright then. </div>
    Is Deion an athlete? Alright then.

We're talking about AI's impact in the NBA, not what athlete did what first and where. AI was the first player in the NBA to wear cornrows when he busted out with em at the 96-97 Rookie game, them braids were bad too, LOL.</div>

Again it has nothing to do with hip hop. You're falling into the ignorance set by the mainstream media and labeling things "hip-hop" when hip hop has nothing to do with those things.

You're entitled to your opinion, but it's a well known fact that when the hip hop generation of NBA players is mentioned, Allen Iverson is the face that pops up first.</div>

Maybe he pops up first for the younger generation. But again, they don't represent the majority of fans in the NBA.

12. RuN WiT iT

RuN WiT iT JBB JustBBall Member

Shape, when you brought up Sanders it had no relevance to what they were initially talking about which was BASKETBALL and HIPHOP and not about football and hiphop. You were talking about athletes whereas they were talking about basketball only.

13. RuN WiT iT

By the way, Brasco I happen to enjoy a couple of songs Allen has made (40 bars and one other song from his album). To say he sucks at rapping is your opinion, but when there is proof out there that says that he is somewhat DECENT at rapping then I suggest you keep your mouth shut. We weren't talking about Allen's album anywhere in this discussion and to state your opinion on it is weak way of trying to say that Allen isn't who brought HipHop into the NBA. By the way, Vibe Magazine gave Allen's album 3 stars.. so in my opinion and alot of other peoples opinions, Allen's a DECENT rapper, even for someone who does it on his away from the court time.

furthur proof that AI is a good rapper ... heres what the source had to say about AI and his rapping

http://www.koolpages.com/aiplatinum/music.html

14. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">What? AI did not bring Hip Hop culture into the NBA. The culture was in the game long before Iverson came around. The ABA brought Hip Hop culture into the NBA... Dr J, The Iceman etc. Even Shaq-Fu was more instrumental than AI, so were the Fab 5 from Michigan with the baggy shorts and black socks.</div>
    The fab-5, in my opinion were probably more instramental in bringing hip-hop culture into basketball than anyone else. Scoop Jackson wrote an article about the 5 a little while ago and their effect on basketball found here.

15. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting RuN WiT iT:</div><div class="quote_post">Shape, when you brought up Sanders it had no relevance to what they were initially talking about which was BASKETBALL and HIPHOP and not about football and hiphop. You were talking about athletes whereas they were talking about basketball only.</div>
    No he was talking about the first player, Deion Sanders was a player, he didn't specify any sport. So it does have relevance.

16. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AIFan:</div><div class="quote_post">You're trying way too hard to sound like you know something. First of all, in the NBA, AI is the posterboy of the hip hop GENERATION. What you "educated" us about is the hip hop CULTURE. You're trying to act like he said AI is the godfather of hip hop or something, easy guy.</div>
    First off don't patronize Shape. He know more about basketball than you, I, or anyone else on the site.

Secondly you said that AI is the "posterboy of the hip hop generation". He may a representative of the hip hop generation in the NBA but rock4life was trying to argue that "He's [Iverson] the one who brought it to the media's attention". It was brought to the media's attention by the Fab 5 and there is no disputing that. Rock4life further stated that, "From the way he [Iverson] dressed, his speech, and his physical appearance." Those three things, dress, speech and physical appearance, that represented the hip-hop culture were made brought to the medias attention while AI was still playing HS basketball, by the fab five. Dress - their black socks and baggy shorts...... both helped spawn a revolution in basketball. Speech - the fab five's cockiness and willingness to confront different social issues put them in the media's spotlight for the two years they played together. Physical appearance - no, they didn't sport cornrows or wear doo rags but their shiny, shaven black heads and their swagger which showed their confidence.... The fab five indeed brought hip-hop to the medias attention which is evident in the rating for their two NCAA finals appearances which at the time were the two highest rated finals of all-time.

17. Shapecity

Well, I wouldn't say I know more than anyone else, I've watched my fair share of hoops, but I would never claim I know more than anyone on the site in anything.

The point is, AIFan there's no need to be condescending at this site. Everyone here can debate respectfully without the b.s.

18. RuN WiT iT

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rock4life:</div><div class="quote_post">I know my hiphop, but thank you. I didn't mean symbol of the whole Hiphop culture, I meant hiphop culture in the NBA. He's the one who brought it to the media's attention. He's the poster boy for Hiphop culture in the NBA. That's a given.</div>

Oh my bad then, from what I read I thought he was specifying that AI brought hiphop to basketball and wasn't talking about any other athletes.

but from that quote I thought he was talking about the NBA which in turn means he's talking about basketball...

19. AIFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Johnnybrasco:</div><div class="quote_post">yeah because poor people can't afford tatooes...</div>Show me a poor person who's family is struggling to keep the lights on and the rent paid, yet can go out and get inked up as much as AI and I'll show you a stupid you know what. I said AI was poor, not stupid.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Johnnybrasco:</div><div class="quote_post">he played football and basketball</div>[​IMG] Is that right? Remove the k and the t from basketball and you'd be right[​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Johnnybrasco:</div><div class="quote_post">AI represents street culture in the NBA not hip hop, jalen rose chris webber those guys from the early 90's were the first to actually bring hip hop style into the league.</div>Why do you keep beating a dead horse? I have already agreed that AI did not bring the Hip Hop culture to the NBA, nor do I wish to engage in a debate about who has contributed more to bringing it to the NBA because it's all subjective

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">No need to chastise me. I don't need to justify my knowledge of hip hop. I was pointing it out to Rock4Life on the subject, because basketball is not hip hop related, never was and never will be.</div>Nobody's asking you to justify your "knowledge" of hip hop, you've already done that......why, I haven't quite figured out yet. I don't see anywhere in any of his posts where he said or even insenuated that Basketball IS hip hop so why are you even arguing that? This all started when rock4life said that AI is the symbol of the hip hop GENERATION. Which is 100% true. When someone mentions "the hip hop generation" in reference to basketball players, AI is the face that will pop up in the heads of most.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">AI is not the posterboy for the hip hop generation in the NBA or anywhere else. Basketball and hip hop don't have anything to do with each other.</div>Ok almighty one, you have spoken, we all know now that you said AI is not the posterboy for the hip hop generation in the nba so it must be true. Basketball is not a part of the foundation that spawned Hip Hop, but to say hip hop and basketball don't have anything to do with one another is like saying milk does't go with sugar. Hip hop is the soundtrack to the majority of basketball players' lives, players of the hip hop generation that is. You act as if hip hop can't evolve to include more than just the 4 elements, like it's just gotta stay that way forever[​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">What does "keeping it real" really mean for Allen Iverson? Not forgetting where you come from is admirable and I respect it. But just because a person changes their image one way or another doesn't mean they've forgotten where they came from. A lot of these kids know exactly where they came from and want to do everything they can to get out of that situation and not be associated with it.</div>Next time he's over for dinner I'll ask him......You aren't gonna find very many kids today who grew up as AI did and are ashamed of it, they realize that without the trials and tribulations of thier upbringing they would not be the people they are today. While there may be some who feel like you said, they are the exception, not the rule.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Not having money does not prevent a person from getting tattoos.</div>You're right, but not having lights, shoes, or a roof over your head may.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">How does buying expensive jewelry and getting tattoos help Iverson "keep it real," when Iverson has always been the same person before he changed his appearance?</div>When did I say that?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Is Deion an athlete? Alright then.</div>We're talking about AI and his influence on the league, so to bring up what Deion did in football or baseball is null and void.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Again it has nothing to do with hip hop. You're falling into the ignorance set by the mainstream media and labeling things "hip-hop" when hip hop has nothing to do with those things.</div>Your ignorance takes center stage as I did not say or imply that AI's braids were hip hop, my comment was in reference to Shapecity saying Deion was the first to wear doo rags and that someone else surely wore braids before AI. However, since you want to fight that fight, braids are very much associated with hip hop when you realize that 99% of the people who wear them are of the hip hop generation.

20. AIFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">No he was talking about the first player, Deion Sanders was a player, he didn't specify any sport. So it does have relevance.</div>It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what sport he was talking about when he said

"His style, and swagger made it easier for the NBA to relate to Hiphop culture, and vice versa. Never once did I see a player where his durag to a press conference before Iverson."

Again, the Deion statement was of no relevance to the topic of discussion

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting JWohl:</div><div class="quote_post">First off don't patronize Shape. He know more about basketball than you, I, or anyone else on the site.</div>[​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting JWohl:</div><div class="quote_post">Secondly you said that AI is the "posterboy of the hip hop generation". He may a representative of the hip hop generation in the NBA but rock4life was trying to argue that "He's [Iverson] the one who brought it to the media's attention".</div>So who's point are you arguing, his or mine? And why are you trying to discredit what I said by telling me what he said?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">
    The point is, AIFan there's no need to be condescending at this site. Everyone here can debate respectfully without the b.s.</div>Practice what you preach. If you wanna debate, let's debate, I can debate with the best of em, but don't come in here making comments to me like "You're falling into the ignorance set by the mainstream media and labeling things "hip-hop", especially when you were completely off base for making such a benighted statement considering that I wasn't labeling anything hip hop, I was stating that AI was the first one to wear braids in the NBA in response to shapecity saying he wasn't, and just expect that i'm not gonna go right back at you.