AI G'd up from the feet up

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by AIFan, Nov 1, 2005.

1. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting RuN WiT iT:</div><div class="quote_post">Oh my bad then, from what I read I thought he was specifying that AI brought hiphop to basketball and wasn't talking about any other athletes.

but from that quote I thought he was talking about the NBA which in turn means he's talking about basketball...</div>
    [​IMG]

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting aifan:</div><div class="quote_post">AI is the face that will pop up in the heads of most.</div>
    Of most what? Basketball fans? You keep making this statement, but it's not true. There are more people over the age of 20 who watch the game than under the age of 20 worldwide. AI will be the first to admit this. Did you watch him on Quite Frankly last night? AI said it best himself, "I wasn't the first, I obviously copied someone else, but AI made it alright." And there it is from the horse's mouth himself. He's not the first, he's not the symbol of hip hop generation in basketball. He acknowledges that, why can't you?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting aifan:</div><div class="quote_post">You're right, but not having lights, shoes, or a roof over your head may.</div>

Doesn't matter, any tattoo artist trying to market their name would ink a person in the limelight for free. Just to say, "You know that tattoo on Iverson, I created that for him." A lot of tattoo artists do tats for free just for practice.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting aifan:</div><div class="quote_post">You act as if hip hop can't evolve to include more than just the 4 elements, like it's just gotta stay that way forever</div>
    Damn straight.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">How does buying expensive jewelry and getting tattoos help Iverson "keep it real," when Iverson has always been the same person before he changed his appearance?</div>

It was a question for you.

3. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Of most what? Basketball fans? You keep making this statement, but it's not true. There are more people over the age of 20 who watch the game than under the age of 20 worldwide. AI will be the first to admit this. Did you watch him on Quite Frankly last night? AI said it best himself, "I wasn't the first, I obviously copied someone else, but AI made it alright." And there it is from the horse's mouth himself. He's not the first, he's not the symbol of hip hop generation in basketball. He acknowledges that, why can't you?</div>
    Your stuck in denial Shape..........Iverson is the face of the "new" hiphop culture in the NBA. When the dress code was implemented, the first person people thought of was Iverson. It's not a bad thing. I just think people stereotype Hiphop culture in the wrong way sometimes. Even though his shot selection is horrible, I think AI is a stand up guy.

4. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rock4life:</div><div class="quote_post">Your stuck in denial Shape..........Iverson is the face of the "new" hiphop culture in the NBA. When the dress code was implemented, the first person people thought of was Iverson. It's not a bad thing. I just think people stereotype Hiphop culture in the wrong way sometimes. Even though his shot selection is horrible, I think AI is a stand up guy.</div>
    I'm not in denial, I just don't agree the majority of NBA fans consider Iverson the face of the NBA in regards to hip hop culture. Maybe the "new" part you highlighted do, but they are the in the minority when it comes to the overall fan base of the NBA.

5. AIFan

AIFan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Of most what? Basketball fans? You keep making this statement, but it's not true. There are more people over the age of 20 who watch the game than under the age of 20 worldwide. AI will be the first to admit this. Did you watch him on Quite Frankly last night? AI said it best himself, "I wasn't the first, I obviously copied someone else, but AI made it alright." And there it is from the horse's mouth himself. He's not the first, he's not the symbol of hip hop generation in basketball. He acknowledges that, why can't you?</div>I don't care the age of the average fan and all that bs, it's not relevant. The fact of the matter is that when anybody refers to the "HIP HOP GENERATION" of basketball players, Allen Iverson is the face that basketball fans see. You can deny that all you want, but it's just that, denial. I am going to provide a few quotes right now that support my claim:

As taken from Encyclopedia Britannica
    "in full Allen Ezail Iverson American basketball player known for both explosive play on the court and controversy away from the game. He became the first great athlete to be strongly identified with the hip-hop movement."

As taken from ESPN the Magazine: Walk this way
    "So when he rebelled against league standards -- sporting cornrows, shunning suits and ties and rockin' a skullie at the Rookie of the Year presentation -- a cultural icon of sorts was born."

And last but not least, the words as they came out of David Sterns mouth 6 years ago:
    "The poster boy now is Allen Iverson instead of [the Detroit Pistons'] Grant Hill," Stern said."

Nah, I didn't catch Quite Frankly last night, I caught it 3 months ago when it first aired and I have that episode on my computer as well. You are taking what he said out of context. Yes, he did say he did not start cornrows. But the part you left out what how he was talking about how he see's white kids, police officers, etc, in Philly with cornrows now, he acknowledged that he didn't start that hairstyle but he "made it alright to wear cornrows." Hell, I remember my mom putting cornrows in my hair when I was in the 3rd grade, cornrows have been dated all the way back to 3500 BC in ancient Afrika, we all know AI did not start cornrows. But he did start cornrows in the NBA. Rookie Game 1997, he wore a Reebok headband cause his hair wasn't quite long enough to look good braided so the headband helped hide the all the loose hairs. From then on, players started wearing cornrows because AI made it ok, he bucked the status quo when he arrived in the league by not only not conforming, but blazing a new trail on the fashion front of the NBA. But since you like hearing it come from the horses mouth, AI said "It's an honor for me to be considered the guy who made hip-hop style okay in the NBA." He did not acknowledge that he is not the symbol of the hip hop generation, that's your opinion.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Doesn't matter, any tattoo artist trying to market their name would ink a person in the limelight for free. Just to say, "You know that tattoo on Iverson, I created that for him." A lot of tattoo artists do tats for free just for practice.</div>We weren't talking about whether or not that happens, we were talking about AI's ability to finance the tattoo's he now has, prior to entering the league. While what you're saying does hold some truth, it's not like you can just walk into any tattoo parlor and get inked up for free, regardless of who you are.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Damn straight.</div>This shows your unequivocal mental incapacity. Hip Hop, like all other cultures, are very much capable and likely to evolve as time goes on.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">It was a question for you.</div>I never said him buying expensive jewelry and getting tattooes helped him "keep it real" so I am dumbfounded as to why you are asking me that question.

6. AIFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm not in denial, I just don't agree the majority of NBA fans consider Iverson the face of the NBA in regards to hip hop culture. Maybe the "new" part you highlighted do, but they are the in the minority when it comes to the overall fan base of the NBA.</div>The problem is that you keep talking about the hip hop CULTURE, when we're talking about him being the face of the hip hop GENERATION. How many different ways must this be pointed out to you for you to understand? Not only do I ascertain that AI is the posterboy of the NBA's hip hop generation, but David Stern said almost exactly the same thing when he said "The poster boy now is Allen Iverson instead of [the Detroit Pistons'] Grant Hill"

Just come to terms with reality and stop being so thick headed.

7. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AIFan:</div><div class="quote_post">From the looks of the picture I posted, he did comply. You point is moot. He is voicing his right as a citizen of this country to voice his opinion, some agree, some don't, get over it. Can't be all things to all people.</div>

But do his clothes have to hang off that much? It looks like garbage, he's a professional, and he should dress like one. That simple. Look at Jermaine O'neal, Kwame Brown, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, and Shaq...why can't he dress like that? That 'thug' image that A.I. carries with him is old and childish, he needs to let it go and grow up a little bit. Wear some damn clothes that fit.

8. AIFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting K8B:</div><div class="quote_post">But do his clothes have to hang off that much? It looks like garbage, he's a professional, and he should dress like one. That simple. Look at Jermaine O'neal, Kwame Brown, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, and Shaq...why can't he dress like that? That 'thug' image that A.I. carries with him is old and childish, he needs to let it go and grow up a little bit. Wear some damn clothes that fit.</div>Go take your blood pressure medication and relax. Why are you so judgemental? Why can't you accept him for what he is and stop judging him for what he's not?

9. Martin

Martin Back from retirement

Like AI said "I am what I am" Even Oak whined on him (read my sig to see what he said)

10. AIFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Martin:</div><div class="quote_post">Like AI said "I am what I am" Even Oak whined on him (read my sig to see what he said)</div>Yep, we're all different, some like baggy clothes, others like tailor made, some like double breasted suits, others jeans, tshirts and tennis shoes. I don't care what the guys wear so long as they give 110% on the court, and act responsibly off it.

11. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AIFan:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't care the age of the average fan and all that bs, it's not relevant.</div>

It's completely relevant, it's the core of this debate, I'm having with Rock4Life. I'm not the one using the word "culture," Rock4Life is. I'm quoting his words and responding to them.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AIFan:</div><div class="quote_post">This shows your unequivocal mental incapacity. Hip Hop, like all other cultures, are very much capable and likely to evolve as time goes on. </div>

Do you have to start every response with an insult?

Hip Hop culture can evolve, but it's going to evolve within those 4 elements. Outside of those 4 elements, Hip Hop can have an influence on other things in life, such as fashion, art, music, entertainment, sports, etc.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AIFan:</div><div class="quote_post">I never said him buying expensive jewelry and getting tattooes helped him "keep it real" so I am dumbfounded as to why you are asking me that question.</div>

The question was in response to your earlier post. You mentioned AI has always been the person you see now, he just didn't have the finances to get the tattoos and jewelry.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">But the part you left out what how he was talking about how he see's white kids, police officers, etc, in Philly with cornrows now, he acknowledged that he didn't start that hairstyle but he "made it alright to wear cornrows."</div>

Go back and read my post, you even quoted it. "....but AI made it alright." I mentioned it, and I agree with him. AI made his look popular and it was accepted by a lot of different fans of the NBA.

Here's my stance, the hip hop culture was in the NBA long before Iverson. The mainstream media's coverage of linking hip hop to the NBA in a positive way caught years later. Iverson was the catalyst for mainstream media to identify him as the symbol of the hip hop generation and the NBA. However, before AI made it alright, the media didn't view hip hop penetrating the basketball in favorable light. The Fab 5 were the first to push the issue with NBA fashion on the court and be associated with Hip Hop. Unfortunately, their style and their look was something new, and something new didn't go over very well with the mainstream media. However, their look caught fire with the NBA players and the fans of that generation. The fans of that generation are now the majority of fans who watch the NBA now. There are a lot more people wearing baggy shorts and black socks in the NBA, playing with a cocky demeanor, and showing up their opponents, then there are players sporting cornrows and being inked all over their body.

For the younger generation following the game now, AI is the player they identify with for breaking the rules and doing it his way. That generation didn't grow up in the Fab 5 era, they can read about, but they were never there to see the cause and effect those players had on the NBA.

Here's a quote describing their influence from the USA Today ... "Chris Webber, Juwan Howard, Jalen Rose, Ray Jackson, Jimmy King & Co. won 56 games and reached the NCAA final in each of their two seasons together. Their talent was breathtaking; their trash-talking, baggy-shorts style endearing; their influence profound, even to this day. They drew record television audiences, set fashion trends and touched off a licensing and merchandising boom that perhaps nudged all of college athletics along its current marketing-crazed course."

12. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AIFan:</div><div class="quote_post">Go take your blood pressure medication and relax. Why are you so judgemental? Why can't you accept him for what he is and stop judging him for what he's not?</div>

He's a proffessional. He needs to dress like one, that simple. I don't see NFL players having problems with dress code, why does Allen? To be honest, Allen is one of the reasons why the NBA isn't on the level of the NFL in terms of success and popularity, because he carries this thug image that turns off mature, proffesional America.

13. AIFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">It's completely relevant, it's the core of this debate, I'm having with Rock4Life. I'm not the one using the word "culture," Rock4Life is. I'm quoting his words and responding to them.</div>the first thing you need to realize is that you are not understanding what we mean when we say hip hop generation. Being that hip hop started in the 70's, one could surmise that any player coming into the league anytime after than is of the hip hop generation. That's not the case. By Hip hop generation, we mean the players who have embraced the hip hop culture, players who are from the struggle that embodies rap music, players who grew up in that life. Chris Webber and Juwan Howard are not from the same struggle as AI, not even on their best day. Yes, they helped usher in a style, nobody can deny that, but they do not embrace the hip hop culture like AI has. He is a cultural icon in the NBA, I quoted AI himself, the commisioner of the league, as well as ESPN the magazine and Encyclopedia Britannica, all of whom back up my claim. Why can't you accept that? Hearing it from the horses mouth isn't good enough for you? What, besides your opinion, can you show me that backs up your claim that AI is not the face of the hip hop GENERATION of the nba?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Do you have to start every response with an insult?</div>Have I started every response with an insult?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Hip Hop culture can evolve, but it's going to evolve within those 4 elements. Outside of those 4 elements, Hip Hop can have an influence on other things in life, such as fashion, art, music, entertainment, sports, etc.</div>Who died and left you to be president of hip hop evolution?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">The question was in response to your earlier post. You mentioned AI has always been the person you see now, he just didn't have the finances to get the tattoos and jewelry.</div>We all know tatt's and bling bling are forms of self expression, as is the way you dress, the way you act, what you believe in, and your general outlook on life. You are of the impression that AI "turned into" the person he is today after coming into the league, which is not true. AI has always been the person he is today, you just could not tell that visually because he didn't have the ink and ice back then, he couldn't afford them. That's all that's changed about AI, the person underneath all the ice and ink is the same. Your contention can only be based on his outer appearance, I am simply clarifying why his outer appearance was not what it is now, back then.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Go back and read my post, you even quoted it. "....but AI made it alright." I mentioned it, and I agree with him. AI made his look popular and it was accepted by a lot of different fans of the NBA.</div>the quote is "....I made it alright, I made it alright." You're contradicting yourself. The issue of braids came up when I said he was the first one in the NBA to wear them, you responded with the Quite Frankly quote(which you took out of context), and now you're saying you agree???

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Here's my stance, the hip hop culture was in the NBA long before Iverson.</div>I admitted as much on my first post on page 2, so why are you still talking about it now on page 3?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Iverson was the catalyst for mainstream media to identify him as the symbol of the hip hop generation in the NBA. However, before AI made it alright, the media didn't view hip hop penetrating the basketball in favorable light.</div>Agreed, and it's this reason that AI is the posterboy/icon of this new generation of player in the league.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">The Fab 5 were the first to push the issue with NBA fashion on the court</div>Negative. Remember back in the day when rappers used to wear those huge gold rope necklaces? Well, Michael's wasn't as big, but I do remember MJ rocking a gold rope his rookie year. That went over like a fart in church. Hip hoppers love the long shorts, right? When MJ came into the league, nuthuggers were all the rage. MJ changed that. Hip Hop influence was around long before the Fab 5 and AI, but it wasn't nearly as accepted or embraced as they would ultimately make it.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Unfortunately, their style and their look was something new, and something new didn't go over very well</div>They weren't the first, AI or the Fab 5. The league didn't particularly like the afro's of the 70's, or the long shorts and signature shoes MJ ushered in back in the mid to late 80's.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">There are a lot more people wearing baggy shorts and black socks in the NBA, playing with a cocky demeanor, and showing up their opponents, then there are players sporting cornrows and being inked all over their body.</div>Like I said a long time ago, "I have already agreed that AI did not bring the Hip Hop culture to the NBA, nor do I wish to engage in a debate about who has contributed more to bringing it to the NBA because it's all subjective"

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Here's a quote describing their influence from the USA Today ..."Chris Webber, Juwan Howard, Jalen Rose, Ray Jackson, Jimmy King & Co. won 56 games and reached the NCAA final in each of their two seasons together. Their talent was breathtaking; their trash-talking, baggy-shorts style endearing; their influence profound, even to this day. They drew record television audiences, set fashion trends and touched off a licensing and merchandising boom that perhaps nudged all of college athletics along its current marketing-crazed course." </div>
    Have I once denied the influence of the Fab 5? Which makes me wonder why you'd spend so much time and energy on pointing out something that I agreed on long ago. I know all about the Fab 5, I watched them in high school, but to let you tell it, those guys were around long before AI. LOL, C-Webb is only 2yrs older than AI and is of the same generation, although his upbringing doesn't even compare to what AI went through so they are not from the same struggle.

14. AIFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting K8B:</div><div class="quote_post">He's a proffessional. He needs to dress like one, that simple. I don't see NFL players having problems with dress code, why does Allen? To be honest, Allen is one of the reasons why the NBA isn't on the level of the NFL in terms of success and popularity, because he carries this thug image that turns off mature, proffesional America.</div>I'm not gonna argue your opinion, you're entitled to one just as I am. I'm tired of repeating myself, so I'll just quote Mark Cuban who summed it up pretty well.....

If you look at NBA players. White, black, brown, yellow, whatever color or nationality, regardless of how they dress, and think thug. You are an idiot.

and..........
    On an individual level. If you think NBA players, or any professional athlete that you never have had any interaction with is a thug. Then the problem is yours. You are an idiot.

15. phunDamentalz

phunDamentalz JBB JustBBall Member

Iverson reps the street image of hip-hop IN the NBA no doubt. Shaq was never street so he doesn't count. Even Cube said that AI most represented the essence of the streets.

And Toni Kukoc is nothing but a lowlife THUG. You know he's involved in all types of illicit dealing and racketeering. If I saw him in a dark alley, I would turn and run.

16. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">That's all that's changed about AI, the person underneath all the ice and ink is the same.</div>

Exactly, so obeying the dress code should make no difference. Because underneath it all he's still the same person.

How am I taking his quote from Quite Frankly out of context, and contradicting myself?

AI made it acceptable in the mainstream media to wear cornrows. And because of the acceptance you see a lot of other people wearing cornrows.

The Fab 5 had more influence than Iverson. I'm glad you brought up Jordan too, and the afro all those came before both the Fab 5 and AI. Which is exactly my point. It just wasn't embraced the same, with the mainstream. Since when has "hip hop" ever cared about what the mainstream thought about it? But the ABA, Jordan, Fab 5 were the pioneers. AI just made it "alright" among the mainstream. AI has influenced the fans for only the last 9 years. Those 9 years of younger fans is far less than the 30 years worth of fans from the 1970's and the ABA, with Dr J's afro and Converse. Those 9 years are far less than the generation who group with Michael Jordan and his signature Nike's.

Maybe Iverson is the subject of conversation now, but you can't go back and discredit everything that came before him. You really think the majority of basketball fans in their mid 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's give credit to Iverson being the embodiment of hip hop culture in the NBA?

This argument started back on post #12 & #18 with Rock4Life saying this...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I know my hiphop, but thank you. I didn't mean symbol of the whole Hiphop culture, I meant hiphop culture in the NBA. He's the one who brought it to the media's attention. He's the poster boy for Hiphop culture in the NBA. That's a given.</div>

We both agree AI was not the first to bring in Hip Hop culture.

Then you brought up generation ... <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Agreed...AI did not bring the hip hop culture to the NBA, but he represents the hip hop generation like nobody ever did before him. </div>

I completely disagree with that statement. Jordan is a better representation then and now worldwide.

17. AIFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting phunDamentalz:</div><div class="quote_post">Iverson reps the street image of hip-hop IN the NBA no doubt. Shaq was never street so he doesn't count. Even Cube said that AI most represented the essence of the streets.

And Toni Kukoc is nothing but a lowlife THUG. You know he's involved in all types of illicit dealing and racketeering. If I saw him in a dark alley, I would turn and run.</div>
    AI=the posterboy for the NBA's hip hop generation, as said by David Stern and Pat Croce.

18. AIFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Exactly, so obeying the dress code should make no difference. Because underneath it all he's still the same person.</div>Which is exactly why the dress code is not going to accomplish "cleaning up the image of the league" as it was intended, because the players are what they are regardless of what they wear!! Thanks for finally coming around.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">How am I taking his quote from Quite Frankly out of context, and contradicting myself?</div>I said he was the first in the nba to wear cornrows, you used his quote as proof that he wasn't, then you agree with me.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">AI made it acceptable in the mainstream media to wear cornrows.</div>No, he made it ok IN THE NBA to wear cornrows

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">The Fab 5 had more influence than Iverson.</div>You must have missed it the first 2 times I posted it, they say 3 times a charm, so here goes..............

<font size=""6"">"I have already agreed that AI did not bring the Hip Hop culture to the NBA, nor do I wish to engage in a debate about who has contributed more to bringing it to the NBA because it's all subjective"</font>

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm glad you brought up Jordan too, and the afro all those came before both the Fab 5 and AI. Which is exactly my point.</div>My point is that you're beating a dead horse. You have gotten no resistance from me on the influence of hip hop in the NBA, long before AI and the Fab 5 put thier stamp on it.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">AI has influenced the fans for only the last 9 years. Those 9 years of younger fans is far less than the 30 years worth of fans from the 1970's and the ABA, with Dr J's afro and Converse. Those 9 years are far less than the generation who group with Michael Jordan and his signature Nike's.</div>You are talking, again, about the infiltration of the hip hop culture into the league, not of the hip hop generation of basketball players in the league.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Maybe Iverson is the subject of conversation now, but you can't go back and discredit everything that came before him. You really think the majority of basketball fans in their mid 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's give credit to Iverson being the embodiment of hip hop culture in the NBA?</div>What is so hard for you to understand? You keep arguing about the hip hop culture, i'm talking about the hip hop generation. How many different ways must I explain to you the difference between the two and what my stance is on the infusion of hip hop culture into the league?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">This argument started back on post #12 & #18 with Rock4Life saying this...</div>and when I got into the new topic of discussion, which by the way has absolutely nothing to do with the original topic of this thread, I agreed with you in post 25 that AI did not bring the hip hop culture into the league, so why are you still arguing that point 30 posts later?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">We both agree AI was not the first to bring in Hip Hop culture.</div>It took 30 posts from the time I agreed with that, for you to realize that I agreed?[​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Then you brought up generation ...</div>Which is exactly what rock4life was trying to say, and I agree with.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">I completely disagree with that statement. Jordan is a better representation then and now worldwide.</div>Like I said previously, "He is a cultural icon in the NBA, I quoted AI himself, the commisioner of the league, as well as ESPN the magazine and Encyclopedia Britannica, all of whom back up my claim. Why can't you accept that? Hearing it from the horses mouth isn't good enough for you? What, besides your opinion, can you show me that backs up your claim that AI is not the face of the hip hop GENERATION of the nba?"

Please, stop arguing about thing which I agree with you on, and instead of just offering your opinion, show proof that is more compelling than David Stern saying "The poster boy now is Allen Iverson instead of [the Detroit Pistons'] Grant Hill," that supports your baseless claim that AI is not the posterboy of the hip hop generation of NBA players. If you can't do that, don't even bother posting.

19. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Which is exactly why the dress code is not going to accomplish "cleaning up the image of the league" as it was intended, because the players are what they are regardless of what they wear!! Thanks for finally coming around. </div>

Apparently the image makes a difference to the league though. The league is bigger than Iverson, and Iverson following the dress code shouldn't be an issue for him or anyone else.

ESPN the magazine, David Stern, and Encyclopedia Britannica are all late to jump onboard the Hip Hop wagon. Their opinions are opinions of people who don't know much about Hip Hop.

20. AIFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Apparently the image makes a difference to the league though. The league is bigger than Iverson, and Iverson following the dress code shouldn't be an issue for him or anyone else.

ESPN the magazine, David Stern, and Encyclopedia Britannica are all late to jump onboard the Hip Hop wagon. Their opinions are opinions of people who don't know much about Hip Hop.</div>Oh no doubt image makes a difference, especially when it comes to marketing. I agree with that 100% because we live in a world where most large corporations that are able to sponsor the NBA and it's players are owned by old white guys who don't understand the hip hop generation of today, and ignorance breeds fear. These corporations want squeaky clean guys like MJ to pitch thier products, for the most part. It's a good look for their business due to the image associated with their pitchman. Iverson is following the dress code, but check this out. You know as well as I know that if AI had disregarded the dress code in any way, shape or form, it would be all over magazines, newspapers, news and radio....there have been guys who have done just that yet it's not blown up, interesting huh?

Anyways, I was wondering how long it was gonna take for you to attempt to discredit the sources that validate my assertion. I bet if God sided with me you'd still disagree. But speaking even louder than that is the fact that, although I have asked numerous times, you failed to offer anything other than your opinion as justification for your claim. That says more than anything you think of saying[​IMG]