Ajax Turned Down €40M Offer For Huntelaar

Discussion in 'Europe' started by CelticKing, Sep 2, 2008.

1. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    Due to poor management and carelessness. This isn't a secret, there was a huge article on it in the Champions League magazine a few months ago about how the club went from decades of being on top to a decade of loss. They were considered as one of the top clubs in the World in general. Their new management and owners are taking this as the first season to repair the club to former glory.

A list of their accomplishments in below.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  2. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    Actually, that is very true. Arsenal haven't won as much European silverware as Ajax, but you still see Arsenal as a top team.

3. man_u_barmy_army

man_u_barmy_army DYC Legend +Young Prodigy

But Ajax hardly ever challenge the teams and I am not impressed with the team despite the fact it has good players.

4. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    That's just over the time you've been watching them. I'm sure they are serious in returning the club to power.

5. man_u_barmy_army

I am sure they are. Just it will take more than 'hunter' to bring the club back to the glory days.

6. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    Never did I state once that he would be all it takes to bring them back up.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  7. man_u_barmy_army

I didn't say you did. It is just that you speak as though they need little help to bring them back to top standing. When we all know they fell behind a long way from the leading Pack.

8. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    AFC Ajax have not fallen off the radar. The fourth most-successful club in European football. 29 Eredivisie titles compared to PSV's 21 and reached the Champions League final 6 times, winning 4. In 06/07 they were tied for first at the last match, but lost the title by a single goal difference. That was strongly considered the best Eredivisie season of all-time. In 07/08 they lost the title by three points on the final day. European success has been their only problem since their decline due to poor management. They haven't really done much at a continental level since they became a club more known for selling off all their best players for the most cash they could get in return. That's something their new management wants to avoid.

Back in 1995 was the last time they were at their highest point. They defeated AC Milan with a goal by Patrick Kluivert, who used to be one of the best players out there. They also had Dirk Blind, Edgar Davids, Frank de Boer, Jari Litmanen, Michael Reiziger, Frank Rijkaard, Clarence Seedorf and Edwin van der Sar just to name a few.

Current management includes former Ajax greats Marco van Basten (manager), Dennis Bergkamp (assistant), Frank de Boer (youth) and Dirk Blind (director). It seems apparent that many of the players that were at the club back in 1995 want to return in a staff position. They all know what is wrong with the club and what will fix it to become one of the major competitors in European football yet again. They're already close to taking back their Eredivisie hardware, next is Europe and I believe that even though I'm not a fan of the club. I just actually know them, respect them and understand what level they should be at and will be at in time with their new direction.

What will fix Ajax? Youth: keeping hold of them. They have great young players right now, which were their main transfer targets during the summer transfer window. They let a lot of mediocre vets and younger players go to other clubs. They basically had a big yard sale this off season. Some great young players in their current roster include Ismaïl Aissati, Vurnon Anita, Daylon Claasen, Urby Emanuelson, Jeffrey Sarpong, Miralem Sulejmani and Jan-Arie van der Heijden.

Based on those players alone it is obvious they are going back to a type of team that has always won for them; Very few foreigners, plenty of Dutch internationals. All of those Dutch players listed are viewed as future stars.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  9. man_u_barmy_army

They have the player to do something about this dry europian spell but they never deliver as much as expected. But if Bergkamp is ass.manager then I have the belief they can turn this around.

10. kobe23

kobe23 JBB JustBBall Member

College Undergrad
    most offers are exaggerated... i seem to notice that what is reported is not what is actually paid LOL

maybe around 28 - 30M Euros for him

Real badly need a player like him

11. Claud

Claud Legendary

Full-time Student
    So you think he is on Berba's level? That's what your team Man U paid for Berbatov.

12. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
  13. Claud

Claud Legendary

Full-time Student

:sherlock: