AK47, Blocking Machine!

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by NTC, Nov 6, 2004.

1. spark22

spark22 JBB JustBBall MVP

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">He's relying to much on his shot blocking and even allowing players to get past him so he can come a swipe them from behind. AK is a mean guy, but he's having a great blocking output.</div>
    I agree with you there, AK does rely too much on his shot blocking and alot of times allows them to get a lead to get the big block.

But the thing I like about the way AK blocks shots is that he blocks them in play and most of the time, he knocks them to his teammates to start the break. That is the difference in a good shot blocker and a great shot blocker.

2. og15

og15 JBB *********

Yea, him and Theo Ratliff do that, Ben sends too many blocks out of bounds, which looks nice, but doesn't give your team possession. I love Theo's blocsk though because he does the two handed blocking which is just sick.

3. adiii

adiii JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Zhone:</div><div class="quote_post">P.S. Forgot to add - it's amazing, but he still wouldn't come near the All-Time per season blocks leader, former Utah defensive great Mark Eaton, who blocked 5.56 shots a game in 1984-1985, with 459 total blocks. I don't remember anyone ever getting close, with Olajuwon at 4.5 during the 89-90 season and Mutumbo at 4.5 in the mid-90s.</div>

That is amazing. what was eaton's career average blocks per game? hakeem and dikembe were great shot blockers. you never know ak47 could keep this up, i doubt it, but strange things happens. theo ratliff though will lead the nba with blocks per game at the end...

4. drunkenelmo87

drunkenelmo87 JBB JustBBall Member

I remember the game with the Lakers, Odom posted up on him and faked AK to the side but AK still blocked the shiznat out of him. Hes just a great defensive presence.

5. th3Tru4h

th3Tru4h JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting spark22:</div><div class="quote_post">But the thing I like about the way AK blocks shots is that he blocks them in play and most of the time, he knocks them to his teammates to start the break. That is the difference in a good shot blocker and a great shot blocker.</div>

Not only that, but AK has great defensive awareness. He's good at reading the offense, plays the passing lanes well, and blocks shots coming from the weak side. Not only the difference between a good shot blocker and a great shot blocker, but the difference between a good defensive player and a great defensive player.

6. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting holyace2k2:</div><div class="quote_post">That is amazing. what was eaton's career average blocks per game? hakeem and dikembe were great shot blockers. you never know ak47 could keep this up, i doubt it, but strange things happens. theo ratliff though will lead the nba with blocks per game at the end...</div>

Eaton's blocks per game is the highest of all-time at 3.5 blocks per game. He's 3rd in total blocks behind Olajuwon and Abdul-Jabbar. Dikembe is also catching up (or maybe he has caught up?), and probably will get 3rd this season.

Ratliff has a very nice career 2.9 blocks per game, but only half of the career total blocks as Eaton.

7. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

This guy is becoming arguably the most active, aggressive pursuer of the ball on defense...I love watching him play on the defensive end...