All-Era Playoffs

Discussion in 'All-Era Draft' started by DynastYWarrioR6, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Do you agree Wilt would likely be a 35/20 player today? And maybe even 10 APG?

2. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

Yo, all of you guys are taking this to fucking seriously. Listen, HK and I are tight from JBB days and a lot of guys like him. So, they see his match-up and help him out. I think he has a very good team, and I'm going to vote for him. And if you tell me "Oh, you only vote for him because you like him" than so what. What do you win at the end of this? Nothing. CF, as a fellow Cowboy fan, please stop. So HK get a lot of votes, so what. I was only interested in HK's match-up, personally. I didn't even know we had this thing going on. An All-Era draft or whatever it's called. So, I could care less in all honesty. But I see HK needing some votes, so I go vote. Suck it up.

3. agoo

agoo Member

It just seems a bit ridiculous that HK is about to win an all-era draft when he has just one current hall of fame player because it turned into a popularity contest.

4. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

Agreed, it takes the fun out of this stuff IMO

5. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    You're the man, thanks for putting things into perspective. And the other people in here need to stop getting upset over an Interwebz poll, Jesus Christ.

6. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

I'm cool with just drafting the teams and discussing them. I read and learned a lot and hopefully those who took the time to think about what they were doing did as well.

The opinions of people like you who have no interest in an exercise like this mean absolutely nothing.

7. ghoti

Those numbers may be a bit inflated. He would be playing with other big egos who will want their share of the numbers. He would be mercilessly fouled by scrubs.

To put in perspective how valuable Wilt would be now, look at the hype for Greg Oden. Just the prospect of a physically dominating big man who has both athletic and basketball skills makes people go crazy. The chances one of these guys will become Wilt is basically zero. If Dwight Howard realizes all of his potential, he still won't be near Wilt's level.

8. huevonkiller

Student.
    Well for what it is worth, durvasa is probably the most amazing analyst of statistical data here at S2. He never had Wilt at 35 and 20, much less the 10 APG which comes out of nowhere. Wilt was amazing to me like Shaq, but not clearly better. I don't see what is so offensive about that statement.

9. ghoti

That Shaq is as good as Wilt? I don't know.

I do think Shaq's career stands up to anyone's.

10. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

IF Shake was voting for just JBB guys, how come I'm still losing?

you BASTARDS!

11. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

Just butting in here

I've looked over this whole draft thing here and there, and honestly, it's just an internet poll where you select great players who may not have even played in the same time period, let alone in the same game. No need to get butt hurt over it. A poll was created and you guys allowed members to vote. Well, whoever ends up with the most votes, has the best team right? Maybe, maybe not, but again, you cannot verify it. For an example, I voted for huevon because I thought he had a solid team. I thought his team, head to head, was better. So is my opinion wrong? Is it right? Can you prove it? I doubt it...

Just saying though, you guys seem very heated over something I believe should've just been a fun draft and competition. And also, I didn't vote in every thread, I just voted for the ones I thought was more interesting...

12. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Saying Rodman got his rebounds next to Luc Longley does him injustice. He also got his rebounds next to David Robinson and Bill Laimbeer. Hell, even an old Rodman could grab 11 rebounds a game next to shaq.

13. DynastYWarrioR6

Championship round updated!

14. agoo

agoo Member

Good luck beating Huevon's friends.

15. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    DRob did grab 10 RPG next to Rodman, but no other Spurs player grabbed more than 5. When he grabbed 16 RPG for the Bulls, the 2nd leading rebounder for them was Pippen at 6.5; Jordan grabbed 5.9 and Longley 5.6.

Regarding assists... Wilt averaged 4.4 for his career in an era when assists weren't easily awarded. He had back to back seasons of 7.8 and 8.6 APG- not sure if any center ever has come close to those kinds of figures let alone leading the league in assists. Given that he would be double teamed by bigger players today, he'd most certainly be passing out of those more. Combine that with relaxed awarding of assists, he'd have a good shot at 10 APG, IMO.

16. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    As far as the voting being a popularity contest, my view is that it cheapens the whole process and does S2 a disservice. Why? Well, why bother to have the draft at all when we can just vote for the most popular posters in a poll. Why does it do S2 a disservice? It sure makes the appearance of the overall actual basketball knowledge (when it comes to all-time players) look weak.

17. huevonkiller

Student.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/trb_pct_career.html

Wilt also never passed at that level without subjugating himself on offense. And when he averaged over 8 assists a game his team took 8400 shots that season.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  18. ghoti

[​IMG]

+

Click.

=

Duck.

19. DynastYWarrioR6

Huevon's team has won the All-Era draft, congratulations to him and his team!

20. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

Man I missed out on a good thread, oh well.

It appears to me that a lot of these posts are made because a lot of people are butthurt and have their head up their ass over their opinion of older players. It's not too surprising, you usually get this in a lot of "___drafts," especially one where there's such a large spectra of comparisons to be made, especially the modern vs old school dynamic. At least that's my perception.