Exclusive All things Amen Thompson

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SharpesTriumph, May 19, 2023.

1. MrDraftGuy

MrDraftGuy Active Member

The more I analyze things, the more I come to the conclusion that Amen Thompson is the best fit in Portland, out of the top prospects projected after Wemby. Unfortunately, they all have weaknesses so it's just a matter of which weaknesses can be resolved by Portland's current core.

Amen Thompson's main weakness is corrected by Dame, Simons, and Sharpe who can handle the ball and shoot for him. Meanwhile, his strengths are extremely complimentary to that core. You won't be able to stop that 1-3/3-1 combination between all three players. At any given moment, two of them are going to drive it in against you at breakneck speed (either hammering it down or dishing to the corner/passing to the other player) or two of them are going to shoot over you which opens up the court for someone to drive it in. All the while, at least two of these players will also be able to handle the ball and facilitate. If Sharpe improves defensively, you're going to get two lengthy defenders, as well. Meanwhile, Thompson is a natural born leader with intangible skills which Dame has and Sharpe might have, as well.

With Thompson, you're getting Scottie Pippen to put next to Shaedon Sharpe's MJ. Yes, yes, it's sacrilegious to compare them to these two but I hope you get my point here - it's about chemistry between two well rounded and hyper athletic players and less about the total PPG between players. Because when you get Amen Thompson, you're going to have a player at the 3 who can move around and handle the ball, something Portland hasn't had since Nic Batum. Essentially, you're going to get a team that can move with purpose rather than camp out at the three point line (which, let me ask you, are you bored of seeing this style of basketball?)

Brandon Miller is the next best bet. His strengths are obvious - shooting, scoring, some defense, some playmaking. I know fans are thinking ONLY of the possible ideal fantasy moments with Miller that they ignore the not so ideal moments they'd have with him. In Miller's case, the reality is that he can be a bit of a chucker and suffer from inconsistent/low IQ moments while also being soft around the rim. This isn't something specific to him, either. When you look at players like MPJ, Danny Granger, Michael Beasley, even Jayson Tatum...all of whom he plays like, you'll notice that this particular player archetype suffers from these weaknesses (Tatum obviously less so but Miller isn't Tatum tier as a prospect).

You're not getting a Lebron James or Jimmy Butler type player, here, essentially. And I was super high on Banchero last year and easily had him #1 in the draft. Miller is NOT Banchero, either. There is probably always going to be a question of 'heart' surrounding Miller's offensive game. We can sort of see this when he went up against tougher competition. He still had a few good games but compared to say, Tatum or Banchero during their college years against tough competition (they did extremely well), Miller's offensive impact was severely limited when pitted against ranked teams.

I cannot stress this enough when considering Brandon Miller, who I still think can be a perennial All-Star. He's going to do very well but it's going to be frustrating when he doesn't show up.

Scoot Henderson, I really like as a prospect for a pure rebuild but his main weakness is essentially the same thing as Amen Thompson - his three point shot is non-existent. However, unlike Thompson, he isn't as fast nor explosive, his court vision isn't as good, he isn't as lengthy, he is shorter, and his body control isn't as good.

That makes it sound like Scoot sucks or lacks those skills. Quite the opposite, actually. He possesses all the main strengths of Thompson at a high level....except Thompson is just slightly better at most of them. He's a better ball handler and his shooting stroke looks better (and he should become a better shooter considering his FT%) than Thompson so he has that going for him in a way I think Amen will never have. And that should propel Scoot to be a better overall scorer.

However, because you're drafting Scoot to replace Simons and Dame, his three point shooting means Portland won't be a good shooting team with him. That's the major issue, here. Unless you can trade Simons+23rd for Ausar or Jarace Walker, I don't see a team that can shoot and possess versatility, going forward, which I think is a problem in a league that prioritizes versatility and shooting. That's why I think Amen, who is on the same tier as Scoot, is a better fit since it'd allow Simons/Dame to have a bigger role while ensuring that Portland remains a versatile team that can shoot lights out.

Freshtown likes this.
  2. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

3. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Ausar cancelled his workout with the Pacers (#7) and it is expected he has a guarantee at #6 from Orlando as Detroit seems very interested in Whitmore.

4. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Great analysis. Love to take a chance on him but am firmly in the BPA over fit camp.

5. Graduate32

Graduate32 Well-Known Member

This also likely means that making a swap for Orlando's #6 pick is out for those that considered it a possibility or solid option.

6. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Amen is very intriguing, but he's just not the dude that you draft if you're keeping Dame.

I'd much rather have Miller or Scoot if we're keeping Dame. If Scoot is actually 6'4 in shoes, he could easily play next to Dame at times.

7. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Especially at almost 200 lbs and a 6'9" wing. Strength helps a lot

Natebishop3 likes this.
  8. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

interesting information. And it sounds like Houston will take Amen, unless Scoot falls to 4.

there could be posturing here obliviously, but it may be that the top slots of the draft have solidified except for Charlotte and Portland.

If the Blazers were absolutely intent o trading the pick it would not be a good situation for them dangling behind the Charlotte decision. But I actually think Portland is more inclined to keep the pick than move it. Maybe a lot more inclined to keep; and I think Dame is fine with that route. That might be because he knows the Blazers have a 'lesser' trade worked out that brings in a veteran or two

after the lottery it was Portland taking whichever of Scoot/Miller Charlotte didn't take. But now it may be Portland's decision tree is Scoot/Amen or Miller/Amen. And if Amen is ahead in both choices, Portland knows what they are going to do

it could be that the 5 minutes after Charlotte makes their pick could be one of the most insane 5 minutes in draft history.

TBpup and Natebishop3 like this.
  9. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Unless there is the outline of a trade already in place and Orlando is picking for someone else.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  10. Natebishop3

That video of Scoot working out with Curry yesterday makes Curry look like Scoot's son. He looks tiny next to Scoot.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  11. Graduate32

Graduate32 Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but that would be tough to do if you are locking in a promise as well. I would imagine there are too many moving parts for that given that we are still a week out from the draft.

12. damianlillard

damianlillard Well-Known Member

Why can scoot play next to dame but amen can’t?

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  13. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Teams go into these drafts with the foundation of a potential trade in place depending on who might fall to a certain spot. If say, ORL really wanted Scoot, the architecture of that trade would be in place, waiting for the outcome of the CHA pick assuming CHA wouldn't trade with them. Then they have 5 minutes to confirm what they have already discussed in principle. It's a fascinating process and you have to have all of your ducks in a row and be extremely detail oriented and have your wits about you.

ORL likes Ant. Hometown kid that fits exactly what they are missing. Ausar does not fit nearly as well because of his lack of shooting. Schmitz is a Thompson-ophile for a year or so ago. It's all speculation, but it's fun to put a number of pieces together in a guestimate type of scenario.

What would people want for Ant besides #6? And who do you take back from ORL for cap purposes?

14. Natebishop3

Amen is much more raw than Scoot. Not saying that either one of them would start next to Dame. Just saying I'd feel much more comfortable with Scoot getting significant minutes next season at both guard spots than I would with Amen. Ideally it will be Dame and Shae as the starting guards next season.

15. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

Have you heard anything to this effect?

16. Predator

Predator The Godfather

Amen is a much better fit next to Dame than Scoot, makes no sense lol

17. Natebishop3

Man there are so many different flows running right now.

Is Scoot on the board?

Are we trading the pick?

Are we trading the pick with Ant?

If Scoot isn't on the board, what does that do to our trade value?

Would we rather take Miller or Amen?

If we do trade #3 without Ant, who would be going out?

18. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Nothing other than ORL likes Ant. There has been discussion between the 2 teams, but no details as to what that was. Word of this is coming from people more on Orlando's side. Portland is locked up tight right now.

19. Natebishop3

Almost every single analyst says Scoot is better than Amen. Many have said that he would be the #1 pick in a lot of drafts. I don't want to start Scoot next to Dame, but I feel a lot better giving Scoot significant minutes next season than Amen. You want to put a guy who has been playing against high school kids and has a shot like Aminu next to Dame?

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  20. Predator

Predator The Godfather

Jonathan Isaac ;) Would be welcomed with open arms in PDX, I’m sure

UKRAINEFAN, CJ_is_Gone and TBpup like this.