All Things Biggie

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Jul 17, 2017.

1. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Yeah, I noticed that too. He's used to playing under the basket and I think he's going to have a tough time covering stretch 4s.

2. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Yes, it does. I also think it's a very underrated skill.

As they are currently constructed, no one is going to out shoot GSW on a consistent enough basis to beat them in a seven game series. You may get hot a couple times, they may get cold a couple times, but at the end of the day with Durant, Curry and Thompson, you're just not going to out shoot them the majority of the time.

So, the way to beat them is to get more possessions. One way is to limit your turnovers. That's GSW's one Achilles's heel - they get careless with the ball and turn it over at a fairly high rate. But ultimately, the best way to carve out more possessions is on the glass. Limit them to one shot and get yourself some extra possessions through offensive rebounds. Swanigan and Nurkic will makes us much better in this regard. Nurk only played 16 minutes in that GSW series, but in those 16 minutes he owned the defensive glass (11 DRB) and we outscored GSW by 8 points in those 16 minutes. As we saw in summer league, Swanigan is relentless on the offensive glass.

And it's not just GSW, if you can dominate the glass you give yourself a chance to win every night, even on nights when you don't shoot well - especially on nights when you don't shoot well. OKC was the worst 3-point shooting team in the league last season - dead last, 30th of 30 in 3FG%. In today's NBA, that should be disastrous, but they were also the best rebounding team overall, and the best offensive rebounding team in the league. Their rebounding helped overcome their poor shooting and allowed them to win 47 games and be the 6th seed in the very competitive Western Conference.

Now picture PORs shooting (6th in the league in 3FG%) with a full season of Nurk and Swanigan dominating the glass at both ends of the floor...

BNM

Dougnsalem and HailBlazers like this.
  3. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I can't see Swanigan playing PF against the Warriors and being matched up with Durant. I could definitely see him backing up Nurkic, especially when the Warriors go small and use Green at the 5 spot. I think that the Blazers would have to use Chief or Vonleh at the PF to try to hold Durant in check (as much as is humanly possible).

4. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

That's fair, but the last three years, GSW has started a conventional big line up with Bogut/Zaza at center and Green at PF.

It was Bogut's injury, more than anything, that let CLE comeback and beat them in the 2016 finals. If you can't beat them at their own game (which no one can) pound them inside and on the glass.

BNM

5. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I don't disagree with that at all, but it's going to depend on the matchups as to whether it can be Nurkic and Swanigan doing it on the court together or if they have to tag team.

6. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

The only thing that concerns me about Biggie is his ability to guard todays forwards. You have to love his skill set....ESPECIALLY at 26.

7. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

Swanigan will be able to guard 4 in this league. If there stretch 4 than one thing do is shoot the 3 point shot. There not a lot 4 quick 4 in this league. Now what he will have trouble with if he get switch out on a guard.

8. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

FWIW:

Vonleh: 6'8" w/o shoes; 247 lbs; 7'3"-7'4.3"* wing; 9'0" reach
    Biggie: 6'7.5" w/o shoes; 246 lbs; 7'3"-7'4.7"* wing; 9'0" reach

*differed each year measured

Biggie has skills, but obviously Vonleh is quicker and jumps better. I was just a bit surprised to see how similar their build was.

Eastoff and Dougnsalem like this.
  9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Biggie's motor seems to have a significantly higher horsepower rating.

Eastoff and BBert like this.
  10. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I had a Corvette with about 430 hp and 400 ft-lbs of torque. I also have a diesel truck with 360 hp and 800 ft-lbs of torque. They both have power, but use it very differently.

If Vonleh had Biggie's brain and drive, then he would be the far better player. As it is, I think they each have their strengths.

e_blazer likes this.
  11. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I think that's true. The difference is that there are times when Vonleh is on the court where he just kind of disappears in the action. I haven't seen that happen yet with Biggie.

rotary111 likes this.
  12. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

If Swanigan does beat out Vonleh it will be for that reason--and his passing. I still see Swanigan as the best backup for Nurkic. I think you could plug him in most of the same sets and the only difference would be reduced shot blocking on defense.

13. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Jeezus Christ. They couldn't write that article without mentioning Lonzo Fucking Ball? Really? It's an article about the importance of contesting shots in last night's championship game. HE DIDN'T EVEN PLAY IN THE FUCKING GAME! They didn't even insinuate he was good at contesting shots. Just had to throw his name in there. Is there some kind of league mandate that all articles about basketball HAVE to mention Lonzo Ball? WTF??

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Dougnsalem and theprunetang like this.
  14. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Part of that is because Biggie was a focal point of theSL offense and the Blazers haven't run a play for Vonleh in 2 years. Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison.

15. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    It's definitely why we lost the game. They were wide open all night, especially late in the game. Either because we didn't fully contest the shot, or we didn't cover the open man, or their guards put pressure on the defense creating wide open shots. Our guard/wing play was our Achilles heel, and we got exposed, plus our bigs were too slow to contest away from the basket.

16. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    That's fair as far as called plays go, but I think that Swanigan works harder doing the grunt work of rebounding and hustle. But I'm looking forward to seeing how this matchup plays out in training camp. Assuming, of course, that Vonleh doesn't end up being include in a trade deal.

17. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Swanigan is going to take Vonlehs job, and soul.

PtldPlatypus and e_blazer like this.
  18. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Who is there at PF that poses so much of a problem?

19. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

With five double-doubles in seven games, Trail Blazers rookie forward Caleb Swanigan had more double-doubles than any other player in the Las Vegas Summer League, capping it off with 25 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists in Monday's championship loss to the Los Angeles Lakers. By averaging a double-double of 16.1 points and 10.1 rebounds in Vegas, Swanigan became just the fourth rookie to do so at Summer League, joining the likes of Kevin Love, Blake Griffin and Marreese Speights.

When told of the feat, and asked if it held any value, Swanigan simply responded:

"No. Keep working."

dviss1, Dougnsalem and BBert like this.
  20. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

So because I said I wasn't going to bother defending the comp, it makes me sensitive.
    Insert jennifer lawrence meme here.

It's funny how this forum is so consistent with projecting emotions onto other posters.