Exclusive All Things Brandon Miller

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by HailBlazers, May 17, 2023.

1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

my biggest issues with miller so far in my research:

- struggles finishing at the rim.
    - 2pt shooting is very poor.
    - handle is a bit shaky. he doesn't really create any separation in the half court.

because of these things, i think he profiles closer to jabari smith than a guy like tatum at the pro level. still watching videos to see if this projection changes. Also have to reiterate: he is 6 months older than Shaedon and will be 21 by start of the season. he's not a true 'freshman' putting up these numbers.

now the legal stuff, i really hope we do our due diligence on this and don't just dismiss it. using the highest pick we've had since Oden on this kid can't be a decision taken lightly.

2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Personality wise, I like Scoot a lot more.

3. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet, but how nuts would it be watching Scoot and Sharpe play together?
    There at least should be some consideration to that. The right teammate could elevate Sharpe on offense to another level.
    Running the floor and throwing lobs is not really Dame’s thing. Which is fine. He’s scoring at his highest level ever.
    Having another playmaker who can push the pace, attack the hoop, and get the ball to cutters, would be a nightmare for defenses built to stop Dame.

Idog1976, Eastoff, 1 Eye Jack and 2 others like this.
  4. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

pretty much all Hornets fans are locked in on Scoot. I highly doubt they won't draft him. It's gonna be Miller for the Blazers, or maaybe Amen Thompson. Or maybe a trade but hopefully not. We'll see

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  5. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

BM going 2… insert Beavis and Butthead laughs here

RickyJoe and illmatic99 like this.
  6. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

I don't trust any of these one & doners. Wemby was different because he's been a pro since the age of 15. If we can't draft Wemby . There are a lot of nice proven pro's who could make this team close to a contender with Dame still in his prime. There is plenty of time after Dame retires to rebuild around Sharpe, if he excels the way we think he will. And you know what. There stands to be a pretty good chance in 2030 , that a new dude will be on the horizon who's way better than anyone in this draft sans Wemby.

7. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I think you are right. Why would Charlotte feel any different than we do? Aside from the MJ jokes....why would they not take the BPA. If we think it is Scoot then more than likely they will too.

8. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I'm not entirely ready to hitch my hopes on Sharpe just yet, but he definitely is making me not so concerned about the future as I was pre 2022 draft.

As much as Damians contract is HUGE, I'm fine keeping him with the team as Sharpe grows up, and matures. Even maybe Simons (tho If they can switch Simons for someone a little taller..).

The flexibility the team loses be keeping Damian, isn't worse, to me, than the flux that the team would get by either getting a TON of meh contracts for him (rarely are there players of equal value traded in scenarios like him), or future picks that could or could not be good or bad, or busts.

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  9. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    Wizard Mentor likes this.
  10. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

I've been reading through Hornets Reddit, to get a feeling who they Draft, and it's not even close, Scoot is that dude. They gonna draft him, i would be shocked like every Hornets fan if they would not draft Scoot.

11. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

It really doesn’t matter what the fans want. If the Hornets want to roll with Ball and they like Miller, they won’t take Scoot. Maybe they trade the pick.

12. tykendo

No one really knows what happened with the exchange of gun to murderer. Only Brandon does. Maybe his friend said he wanted to do some plinking. But if if he said he wanted it with malace in his intent, Brandon will have to live with that decision.
    If Miller is sending up red flags after interviews, and Amen, quite frankly isn't good at shooting or Free throws, it's bad all around. First off, why would you draft either. Poor Free throw shooting is a no dog. I'm sick of hearing how good these guys, not named Wemby are athletically. That's a red flag for can't shoot. Wemby is smooth shooting the ball. Miller can shoot, but is his mind in the right place. I'm bummed because the potential trade of this pick loses value if Scoot is taken at 2. Sharpe is a freak athlete, but he can shoot from all platforms and is a very good free throw shooter. Understandable why Calipari said Sharpe might go # 1 in this draft.

13. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

There was speculation somewhere that Schmitz that worked with Givoni in the recent past could be the "source" as a misdirection so Miller falls to Portland. This seems unlikely to me if Portland really wants to trade the pick as I suspect Scoot will have more teams interested in a trade than Miller.

I will say that the Givoni feedback seems to contradict what Woj was saying:

Woj on NBA teams' feedback on #Alabama's Brandon Miller: "Not only did they not find anything that they would consider disqualifying to select Brandon Miller, they are finding a young man who they say is mature, focused, whose character and his habits are actually an asset."

14. AldoTrapani

AldoTrapani Well-Known Member

Lol Sharpe would go number 1 over Wemby in this draft? Yea right

15. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

If you don't trust any one & doners you must've hated the Sharpe 0 & done pick.

16. SharpesTriumph

I'm ok with keeping Dame; I just don't want the Blazers to trade away that #3 pick or other future draft picks, unless the trades make us IMMEDIATELY a contender, which just seems very unlikely that those trades will be available.

If Dame asks out then fine trade him. But if he's down with helping a young team grow there could be a lot of value in it.

julius likes this.
  17. SharpesTriumph

They did take Adam Morrison so yeah you never know.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  18. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I agree I don't think we would do it in this situation for the reasons that you stated, but teams do try it every year so players slip.

19. tykendo

Fair. But after watching his workout video i was intrigued. Plus his shot is so smooth. But i also wasn't all in on OG either. I said he pouts too much for my liking. And is inconsistent. Wouldn't go all in to get him last year. He's not Siakam, or Bridges good. I'm not geeked looking at Scoot's game . That's why i said he reminded me of a Donovan Mitchell Lite best case. Because his shot doesn't look smooth at all. Mitchell's is smooth. Scoot does remind me of Billy Ray Bates. I loved watching him.

20. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I don't believe Wemby was "in this draft" when he said that. He was looking at college guys.

SharpesTriumph likes this.