Rumor All Things Jaylen Brown

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, May 29, 2023.

1. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

It was a pretty bad game for Brown.

In his defense, when Tatum twisted his ankle during the first play it likely totally changed the Boston offensive game plan. Maybe Brown was trying to force too much as a primary creator. Brown has been a very effective efficient player over many years of the playoffs. The Celtics got blown off the floor in game 7, so it wasn't just Brown.

I'm still likely pulling the trigger on a Brown for Ant #3 trade if its available and Blazers ownership is ok with paying some luxury tax. Although I do have a lot of mixed feelings, and think its very possible this trade could be a big mistake years from now or potentially even months from now.

2. SharpesTriumph

I'm pretty split on Bridges vs Brown. Bridges contract is superior, but Brown has been the more productive player. I'd be fine with either and I don't really prefer getting one over the other.

I'd hold firm at Ant & #3 for either player though. If the Nets or Celtics demand additional picks then walk away. Blazers ultimately might be more successful just keeping Ant and #3 as it is. If the Blazers start giving up additional future picks its even more likely the trade becomes a flop. The Blazers having control of all their future lottery picks is an important strength regardless if the team try's to make another later trade for the final piece to contend, or has to pivot and rebuild around Sharpe. I wouldn't give that flexibility up.

3. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

Bridges is arguably more productive than Brown.

TS%: 0.587 vs 0.581
    TRB%: 6.8 vs 10.4
    USG%: 22.6 vs 31.4
    WS/48: 0.121 vs 0.100
    BPM: 1.7 vs 1.3
    VORP: 2.8 vs 2.0
    RAPTOR: +1.5 vs +0.2
    WAR: 6.7 vs 4.8

He's a lower usage player, and doesn't rebound as well - but otherwise Bridge is equal or better than Brown according to most of the advanced analytics.

Idog1976 likes this.
  4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I'm a Duck fan....meaning about 3/4 of the college basketball games I watch are Pac-12 games. I saw Brown at Cal 4 times. I'm really surprised about the fact he was drafted 3rd and has become such a good player. That's because from what I saw at Cal he had bad BBIQ, was a major bricklayer, and was a turnover waiting to happen

Quatro44, blazerfan11 and Natebishop3 like this.
  5. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think people are overthinking Brown's last game. Do I want him as my PG running the offense? No, I don't even want him as my SG. But if he was our starting SF then I think we have 4 good starters. Yes, he might be an inch too short but he is still a good defender IMO. He is a strong dude and I think can guard bigger SFs. A 7' wing span is not horrible.

His salary requirements are my only concern. But his overall skill level as an SF is much better than we usually have.

Idog1976 likes this.
  6. SharpesTriumph

Usage, scoring, All NBA, all star teams, the eye test, local and national recognition, all have Brown prior performances as much higher. Its crystal clear that Brown has been superior IMO.

Yes some efficiency stats may show Bridges higher - they also show that Drew Eubanks is one of the best Blazers of the last decade.

Does that mean Brown will be better going forward? No, I'm high on both players and wouldn't be surprised if either was much better in the years ahead or on the Blazers.

7. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    Under no circumstances do we trade Sharpe. If that happens I will lead the torches and pitchforks. I also might end my Blazers fandom. I am literally in the trade Dame before Sharpe camp. What I want is Dame AND Sharpe plus Bridges or Brown.

BBert likes this.
  8. wizenheimer

other than the paranoia amongst the local chicken-little's, when have the Blazers ever given a single indication they might trade Sharpe?

Last edited: May 31, 2023
    Idog1976, illmatic99 and RR7 like this.
  9. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I saw the same with BRoy when he was a dirtyDawg. I watched Aaron Brooks outplay him a few times.

10. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Never, but it doesn't stop comments like these every 2 to 3 days.

11. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Anfernee is the exact type of player they've been missing. Their defense would still be pretty good too. They could trade Anfernee or one of their other 3 guards for a need at a different position.

All this talk about Jaylen getting more money from Boston, but what if Boston doesn't want to pay him that? Going younger gives them more cost control.

Tatum just turned 25. They still have a long window with him and can probably still go the younger route to set themselves up for the next decade.

Plus they get the 3rd pick? Tatum and Brown were both 3rd picks. Hit on another one with Ant and you really got something!

12. Samuel

Samuel James “Hollywood” Robinson

Boston fans will literally make extended cut Jaylen Brown mistake videos instead of going to therapy.

13. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Hmm... I'm not sure I buy it. But if they want Ant that bad they can have him and the 23rd pick.

14. wizenheimer

seems fair if Ant is the "exact kind of player they've been missing"...make it a no-brainer for them and give them Little too

Phatguysrule likes this.
  15. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

16. SharpesTriumph

Yes I posted this yesterday, put max bet allowed $25 on PDX.

17. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Trae Young for Jaylen Brown / Justin Champagnie . Would that be a straight across, or does , Atlanta get a pick too.

18. HoopsFanAZ

HoopsFanAZ Well-Known Member

Ant + Nas + Keon + 3 = Brown + Pritchard? Yes.
    +23? Yes.
    Plus a future 1st instead of 23? Yes.

Simons > CJ. Some people might say not yet. Not me.
    Sharpe isn’t there, yet. Not best as a starter, yet, but soon enough. Will Sharpe > Simons > CJ within 2 years? Yes. That’s my guess. Less than that? They’re good players, so I mean no disrespect.

Brown as a SF is just better as a 2-way player and with Grant and Thybulle playing D, and Dame’s gravity to the logo, I’d love the trade — even an overpay.

Idog1976 likes this.
  19. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

I'm good with Brown, but not all in on Pritchard. As a shooter ,Yes, as a facilitator , no. I'll take Mays as a backup PG. Ant / Keon + 3 is enough. The Blazers will have to shell out a haul of cash to extend him. I'd rather keep Nas as a backup with potential.

20. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    That is too much for Brown.