Exclusive All Things Scoot

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, May 18, 2023.

1. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

2. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

“Watched him when he was in the G League,” Devin Booker said of Henderson, per Kellan Olson of Empire of the Suns and Arizona Sports. “I think he's going to be really good. Obviously we all have some things to learn, but it looks like he loves the game, has a high IQ for it, a body built for [it] and his athleticism is off the charts.”

3. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

4. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Wait?
    I read somewhere Scoot is a Bust?

5. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Everything Beagle likes this.
  6. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    I do have some concerns about Scoot's explosiveness or lack of same, but that could just be a reflection of not having the confidence against this level of competition yet. Everything else I've seen from him is very promising.

7. Samuel

Samuel James “Hollywood” Robinson

sometimes it seems like scoot is trying to get to the basket so quickly that he almost plants his foot a little early which gives him slightly less pop on his finish. anyone else notice this?

if you watch high school tape of him he's a lot less concerned about this race to the cup so his finishing is insane.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  8. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

My thought is he has just not seen the need to showcase it. We have seen highlights of his explosiveness from the last two years, so we know he has it in him. So either he is an old man at 19 and has lost a step, or he just hasn't seen the need to explode to the basket. To be honest I am not sure I want to see those impressive dunks too often. High flyers seem to get injured more. So I am hoping he just picks his spots when he does.

PCmor7 likes this.
  9. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    I mean more his first step on the drive. Apologies for not being more clear on that. Just haven't noticed much of that quick-twitch change of gear out of a casual-stance dribble into a blow-by, even in the highlights I saw of him in the G-League.

Again, that simply might be a lack of confidence and experience. Dame didn't become adept at that until several years into his career. Scoot's playing bigger, faster, quicker athletes now with whom he's not familiar, and that just might be making him hesitate before recognizing he has a sliver of daylight and a quick first step could get him to the basket.

Pinwheel1 and Everything Beagle like this.
  10. Quatro44

Quatro44 Well-Known Member

Preseason highlights

SharpeScooterShooter and bxb like this.
  11. bxb

bxb Active Member

I like how Scoot almost palms the ball like he thinks hes Dr. J or something... Kid has a monstrous set of hands on him like Cory Joseph but he really uses it to secure the ball n beat defenders in the way that Stephon Marbury was once spectacular at in his prime. Marbury didnt have hands like that he'd have to cuff the ball on his forearm, then re-adjust mid air, Scoot has such a monstrous pair of mitts he's got hands like Evander Holyfield or something, so he can just palm the ball no problem n do all that marbury stuff in one felt swoop instead of a chain of quick adjustments.

N so I know some people are waiting to see this sort of Ja Morant high flying act but Scoot is a little bit more steak and potatoes type of game, that HOPEFULLY can draw lots of FTS.. and really Scoot is built to ABSORB contact.. he can snatch that ball with 1 hand, absorb contact n get and-1s, so hopefully he's got a game built to last in the NBA while more of the high flyers need to adjust their games as they age or its time to retire. But usually as a rookie the refs dont like to give PG's like scoot lots of FT's, by year 3 they start to come around, we'll see though.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2023
  12. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

That kid has a change of speed in movement which is absurd. Dame has an astounding first step where he also goes low and that's usually how he manages to break defenses - but Scoot can apparently change speed from fast to "where did he go" in a blink mid-stride. That's a rare trait even for NBA players.

13. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Word on the street: "That motherfucker's fast"

bxb and BIG Q like this.
  14. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Uh oh! That’s not a good thing right?

15. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

That’s horrible news.

blazerkor and SlyPokerDog like this.
  16. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

:NOTMARIS:

THE HCP likes this.
  17. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    Well it could be spun that Brooks never taught Westbrick to shoot, so why expect improvements from Scoot… so theres that.

18. bxb

bxb Active Member

My thing with the Westbrook comparison is...

Westbrook was a 3-star guard who the scouting services (and UCLA) listed at Shooting Guard, along the way he began to transition more to a combo guard type of player because it was apparent he could absolutely lock down PG's defensively..

Scoota's story isnt really much like that at all, it was apparent he was a PG many years ago.. Westbrooks story seems like its almost from the olden times (it is but im old n turning gray n in denial myself).. but also Westbrook was young for a sophomore --- and Scoot is one of those players who just so happens to be born very early in the year (early February) n he was sort of held back by the NBA age limits cuz really Scoot was good enough to be selected in the lottery in the 2022 draft far as I'm concerned, but since he was born a few weeks too late wasn't eligible.. n so Scoot will turn 20 in his rookie season n westbrook turned 21 the year of his rookie season..

N ya know I wonder if Scoot doesnt have a little bit of another UCLA guard type of game to him as well -- Baron Davis..

19. Quatro44

Quatro44 Well-Known Member

20. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

I wonder how much a shooting coach actually does for a team. If there was a team that should bank on a shooting coach, it’s us.

Teaching Scoot and Rupert how to shoot relatively early would greatly accelerate this rebuild.