Exclusive All Things Scoot

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, May 18, 2023.

1. bxb

bxb Active Member

Well I think they actually, for the most part, do more for the FT shooting than the 3pt shooting during the season.. Jay Wright former coach at Villanova would know the answer to this question though his team shot like 82% from the FT stripe a few years ago, which is objectively insane when u think about it for some college players cuz thats near the NBA record for teams as well.

Cuz a lot of the times, i wouldnt think, your gonna have a shooting coach come in and mess with your mechanics during the season at the NBA level unless things are getting Markelle Fultz rookie season types of funky or the infamous Michael Kidd Gilchrist contortionist crazier than a snakes armpit form.. Thats more like something that'll get picked up in the film room, stuff like "your elbow is flying out this way so your missing this way" or "your not getting your eyes set or your feet set" or "your rushing"..

Major Tinkering with the shot is more something these players do a bit more in the offseason with their trainers it seems.. But Im sure the shooting coaches have routines they want the players to do, but like lets say Ray Allen in his prime -- whats a shooting coach gonna tell that guy? Ray Allen could probably tell the shooting coach a few things.. But thats how the NBA is, theres very skilled people everywhere ya turn..

But also hilariously there are players who are just naturally very talented everywhere you turn(young Derek Rose being ripped n fast as lightning while eating a diet of mostly gummy bears, dumb stuff like that), so some coach might be able to tell them something that really clicks, and ya cant really quantify that.. Just a right place at the right time type of thing, n thats why u just try to get the best n the brightest everywhere u turn so hopefully they rub off on each other.. Which is why they are treating Scoot like royalty, cuz it might payoff..

But the fact that the trainers in the offseason get involved adds some funny outlandish claims to the mix ---- For example Domas Sabonis n his trainer were acting like he had the 3pt shot in his bag LAST offseason --- the Warriors sagged off of him n gave him free midrange-J's in the playoffs and he hesitated, didnt want to pull up for the free jumpers, he wanted to run the offense n get assists n the Warriors dared him to shoot n he missed n was awkward -- Looney whooped him in the game 7.. But now again their claiming his 3pt shot is good this offseason -- So we'll see..

Like a REALLY successful story for example is Norman Powell, (another UCLA player I guess were having a UCLA theme here on page 75 of this thread), but when he was in college he had a hitch in his shot, but that summer going into the draft he changed his mechanics n his agent was telling everyone "he changed his mechanics, look at him now!".. He's a career 39% 3pt shooter going into his 7th season, so it sure worked out.. 2nd rd pick whos made lotta money, and contributed to a championship with the raptors.. But thats more of an offseason story than like something a shooting coach would have a big affect on during the season..

(n I'm just spitballing here btw.. I'm always amazed reading about the NBA teams facilities n coaching staffs n all that stuff, so i could be living in the past n they might know a million times better)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2023
  2. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Scoot should PRAY he has a career HALF as accomplished as the future HOFer.

3. THE HCP

No disrespect, but you type “n” a lot and I’m lost? What does that mean?

4. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

And

5. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

upload_2023-10-19_0-56-52.png

6. THE HCP

Thanks

BIG Q likes this.
  7. THE HCP

We’re going to lose a TON of games n not make the playoffs. Ahhhh I got it!

8. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Scoots attitude seems very different from Brody's but we would be incredibly lucky if we got a guy who can do all of the things that Russ does.

Bingo Bango and kjironman1 like this.
  9. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Just let Scoot show the same confidence Russ does but allow someone else to take the last shot? Half the battle.

SharpeScooterShooter likes this.
  10. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    This right here. Russ was phenomenal. Until he thought he should shoot in crunch time.

Idog1976, Bingo Bango and kjironman1 like this.
  11. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Was awesome watching him shoot his team out of games vs the Blazers though.

12. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Sure was. To be fair, he does not seem like a bad dude most of the time, just gets over-heated during games and does not know when the line is crossed. An amazing player to watch at times, both good and bad.

13. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

14. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

this kind of bloviating does no favors to Scoot.

to start with, Westbrook was one of the most amazing athletes to come into the NBA. I've watched Scoot and while I think he's a really good athlete, he's not in the same tier Westbrook was. But Scoot can maximize his potential in other ways. For instance, it wouldn't take a lot for his BBIQ to surpass Westbrook. The obvious area for superiority is shot selection. Westbrook's was often terrible. Besides that, I think Scoot is more like Derrick Rose than Westbrook

but another way these comps don't help Scoot is because casual fans aren't going to gauge rookie Scoot against rookie Westbrook. They won't dive that deep. They'll just remember Westbrook when he was dominating on a playoff team and wonder why Scoot isn't dominating on a lottery team

Last edited: Oct 20, 2023
    Pinwheel1 likes this.
  15. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'

I guess Malcolm has been told he's not starting and is being diplomatic. IMO this isn't great, mainly because Scoot and Anfernee are an odd coupling, whereas Brogdon and Ant are about as complementary as could be. Of course, maybe Ant is coming off the bench too (yeah right).

16. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    solid statement regardless. Impressed.

17. SharpeScooterShooter

Freeloader
    I think Shae has a bit more Rose in him than Scoot.

18. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
  19. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

For those that don't want to click on the link.

Matisse Thybulle on Scoot Henderson's defensive potential: "You ever see kids who grow to be way bigger and stronger than everyone else early on, and they're accidentally hurting people? That's Scoot at this point. He's so strong and athletic, and he's got to learn how to use those things to his advantage, as opposed to having them used against him.

Because he's so strong, he can blow up a lot of plays and get over screens, but with these savvy vets, if you use too much force, it's going to end up being a foul. For him, it's finding that balance. It's always going to be hard for rookies.

The refs aren't giving you the benefit of the doubt. I think he's going to learn. It's trial by error, and it's frustrating. But he's lucky he has the intangibles. He has the strength, he has the athleticism. Now it's just a matter of coupling that with the experience."

20. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

Matisse is one thoughtful dude.

Eastoff and Wizard Mentor like this.