Allen Crabbe signs offer sheet with Nets

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Cippy91, Jul 7, 2016.

?

Should we match Brooklyn's offer sheet for Allen Crabbe?

1. Yes

40.8%
  2. No

59.2%
  1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
  2. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Too many big men. Not enough good bigmen.

3. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

As BofWA this is a pretty big distinction. Agreed upon means we can still S&T him to the Nets. Signed means, all we can do is either match that deal or let him go.

Eastoff and GoBlazersGo like this.
  4. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    This discussion jogged my memory and I remembered a post I wrote last winter; it was after Crabbe had a very good first half of the season and then he was in a bad slump. What I noticed in that first half of the season is that despite the fact that Crabbe was shooting at a much more efficient pace than Lillard or McCollum, that they were not getting the ball to him consistently. They were missing him when he was open on back door cuts and they were missing him when he was open on the three point line and when he would get in a hot streak and make two or three shots, he would not see the ball again for a long time.
    I think that is when we lost Crabbe, and it's ironic because haven't we always said we needed a third scorer? I think Stotts and staff have done a great job in so many areas but one thing I don't like is the star ball of Aldridge and Lillard; I would have liked to see more sharing. I understand there has to be a balance and that some guys are just better than others; but I get the feeling that Stotts has been reluctant to say let's get Crabbe more involved and to run plays for him. And maybe it came back to bite us a little.
    I don't even know where I stand; could match and tell him we will get him more involved. But if we could get something decent back, and I still don't understand if that is possible...... The thing is; he is what we need now the most to round out this team; a three and D guy and how else do we get one?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    Eastoff, HailBlazers and BBert like this.
  5. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Decaf? Trades happen. Unless players walk for nothing. The Blazers could, for example, match Crabbe and trade other players. Or they could let him leave. Or they could let him leave and trade other players. I have faith in whatever Olshey's plan is for the players. He seems to be pretty good at strategy.

Red Rooster and Denny Crane like this.
  6. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    Did someone say that? (Not named Kingspeed... ;) )

7. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    And by all the other teams wanting to sign him, apparently.

8. Harry's Raincoat

Harry's Raincoat Member

I said earlier this year that our RFA's were going to get offers between $12M-$15M each. Many laughed or mocked me!
    This is the new alternative space-time-continuum. Crabbe got $20M.

9. RipCityDSCPL

RipCityDSCPL Could be worse, at least it's not Lonzo.

What is so hard to understand about this? In order for me to win the bet Crabbe would have to accomplish the goal of making the All-Star Team, meaning he would have put in the work and time to get better and improve his game, putting in the effort to actually make the team. What does Crabbe have to do to not make the team? Absolutely nothing. He could literally decide to sit on his ass and if that happens KOR would win the bet.

That is why I get 2:1 odds on the bet.

10. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    It's coming from Quick, and you don't buy it for some reason. Hmm...I wonder...coming from Quick...don't buy it...can't think of a reason.... ;)

:cheers:

11. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

That is not why you were laughed at and mocked

dviss1, Eastoff and Harry's Raincoat like this.
  12. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

There is trade kicker.

13. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

But they have a history of letting guys walk. They tend to make the roll players surrounding their core look better than they are, so teams over-value and over pay their guys.

14. illmatic99

Crabbe right now is pretty equivalent to Demarre Caroll before his big contract (4/60), or Wesley Matthews in UTA (similar massive jump at the time). How much do ATL and UTA regret letting these guys go? If AC can produce 12-15 ppg for us on good efficiency and above average defense in about 30 mpg, then this contract is fine. Kent Bazemore just got the same kind of contract. Matthews with his ACL got a 4yr/ 70 mil deal last season from Dallas. This is the new reality.

The trade kicker and player option sucks, but $ wise, it's not too bad. The biggest concern here is opportunity cost. Luxury tax implications, especially if we're in it in consecutive years, is going to suck, but it should not be too hard to shed contracts. Saving Paul Allen money should not bother any of us in the least bit.

For a team like ours that is just now building, and accumulating assets, we can't be giving up legit home grown talent right when we're on the cusp of breaking out. It's a bad practice for moving from a middling playoff team to a contender.

dviss1, Red Rooster, Darkwebs and 3 others like this.
  15. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

That trade kicker is a big part of why I'm not a fan. Unless he suddenly turns into an All-Star, or All-NBA caliber defender that is going to be a bitch to move.

Yes it sucks to let an asset walk away for nothing, but what sucks even more is when you end up in luxury tax territory and are completely cap constrained and lose some of the flexibility you get for staying out of the tax.

There are perfectly reasonable times to overpay for guys, that's usually to keep a championship caliber team together, but grossly overpaying your roleplayers isn't how you usually get there.

If there's any lesson I'd say it's this: This is why you should be wary of trading away your draft picks; those are the guys you turn to for cheap bench production when guys move on.

16. illmatic99

You don't necessarily have to move HIM if you want to shed $. If you think Crabbe's # is moveable without the trade kicker, then Hark, Aminu, Evan, etc will all be similarly moveable.

17. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

There's a no trade clause and we have to give it to him? Don't match then. Not a chance.

18. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    The fact that we are likely to have 3 first round picks in the next 2 years is great. Like you say, those guys really help keep the budget in line. Indentured servitude is great. ;)

Nikolokolus likes this.
  19. Harry's Raincoat

Harry's Raincoat Member

We have Connaughton and Montero on our roster that CAN play backup SG minutes. We don't have to match.

But, Crabbe blossomed last year with steady playing time and is now a somewhat proven NBA scorer.
    I don't see the contract being that out of line, as we just signed a similar player in Turner for 4yr/$70M.

20. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The no-trade clause is only for the first year, and it's granted by virtue of him being a matched RFA. It would exist no matter what deal he signed.