Allen Iverson: The Discussion

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by AllBoutDaPacers, May 13, 2004.

1. AllBoutDaPacers

AllBoutDaPacers JBB JustBBall Member

Why does everyone think AI is so great?

Other than steals and assists, I do not see what everyone thinks is so great about Allen Iverson. This year, he shot 38.7 % from the field on over 23 shots per game. If any non ?star? shot that poorly and took that many shots, they would be on the bench. I can understand that someone needs to take it upon themselves to put their team over the top, but you need to be a better shooter. He needs to pass the ball. Yes he averages over 6 assists per game, but think if he passed instead of taking stupid shots. You can run into crowds of tall people and try to make lay-ups that go in by sheer luck but how does that help your team? The NBA isn?t about making SportsCenter. Even though he gets 9.5 free throw attempts per game, if you only shoot 74.5% from the line it doesn?t matter. The only way you could make a case to attempt that stupidity is if you shoot better than 90% at the line. But still, that just means you would be hurt all of the time like Iverson.

Allen Iverson also showed that he cares more about himself than his team when he refused to come off of the bench because he felt it was below him. The last time I checked, basketball was a team sport, would it really hurt to come off of the bench when the coach asks? Even Jordan came off the bench during his career, and I doubt he cried like a baby when it happened.

The thing that is going to be disturbing to me is how somebody is going to disprove the facts I have presented and say Iverson is a good shooter, or he is a team player. But please, let me have a good laugh.

2. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

Mike asked Doug Collins on the Wizards to make him a starter instead of coming off the bench.

3. og15

og15 JBB *********

Yea but that was permanently, not for one game lol

4. B.e.

Yeh bbut AI has been the starter for 7 years.then 1 year he gets benched?

5. AllBoutDaPacers

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting B-22:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeh bbut AI has been the starter for 7 years.then 1 year he gets benched?</div>

It was actually just for one game. Do you honestly think that the 6ers would bring AI off the bench for a whole year? [​IMG] You claim that the 6ers are your team and that AI is your favorite player, I would expect you to have heard about this incident [​IMG] .

Regardless of what MJ did, I think that he is more allowed to complain than AI. Especially since the only reason that Collins was there is because MJ asked him to coach that year.

Someone respond to my first post about AI please.

6. Avery

Avery JBB IDIOT!! GOSH!!!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Other than steals and assists, I do not see what everyone thinks is so great about Allen Iverson.</div>

Uh, you forgot about his speed, scoring and heart. Major factors, that makes him the player he is today.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">This year, he shot 38.7 % from the field on over 23 shots per game. If any non “star” shot that poorly and took that many shots, they would be on the bench.</div>

Keyword= <font color="Red">This Year</font>

Everyone has a bad year. He's been injured prone all season. As for his FG%, did you even expect it to be any good? For his career his FG% isn’t good period. And like I said what did you expect? He play's a couple games, miss some, plays some, miss some and so on. You can’t stay on top of your game if your constantly missing one game after another. He hasn’t even played 11 consecutive games without getting injured and missing at least 1 game.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I can understand that someone needs to take it upon themselves to put their team over the top, but you need to be a better shooter.</div>

He does indeed need to become a better shooter. But it's hard if you constantly have 2 defenders on you, and after you take a couple of steps or two you have another guy right near you. So people have to understand that his jump shot is not as bad as everyone say's it is. I’m not saying he's a great shooter, but come on it isn’t an easy task if the defense is always harassing you.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">You can run into crowds of tall people and try to make lay-ups that go in by sheer luck but how does that help your team? The NBA isn’t about making SportsCenter. Even though he gets 9.5 free throw attempts per game, if you only shoot 74.5% from the line it doesn’t matter</div>

Do you think he's trying to make Sports Center? I doubt he'll even make the Top 9 play in Sport Center with a lay-up. I’m sure he wouldn’t sacrifice his body just to make a Top 10 highlight reel. Well let me tell you why, he always taking it up to the big men, because he has heart. That something some players lack these days. Not everyone will take it on Shaq, Duncan etc…

As for FT's not counting…I don’t what to say...But regardless if his FT% isn’t so great. He gets players in foul trouble. How do you think they won Game 1 against LA in the 2001 finals? Just incase if you don't know, he drew one foul after another, after another, and eventually Shaq got fouled out. And that’s how they won. So saying FT's doesn’t matter is completely out of proportion, and lets be real 74% is not the worst FT%. It's not like he mimicking Ben Wallace at the line.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Allen Iverson also showed that he cares more about himself than his team when he refused to come off of the bench because he felt it was below him. The last time I checked, basketball was a team sport, would it really hurt to come off of the bench when the coach asks? Even Jordan came off the bench during his career, and I doubt he cried like a baby when it happened.</div>

I'll admit that was a stupid and idiotic move upon Allen Iverson. But why are you mentioning Jordan name in this. He's not Jordan. When he first came to the NBA and was criticized by his clothing style, and how he should dress in a proper attire like other great players like Jordan for example. And he clearly said "I'm not Jordan, Bird, Magic...And I don’t want to be like them. I want to be like me. Me Allen Iverson".

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The thing that is going to be disturbing to me is how somebody is going to disprove the facts I have presented and say Iverson is a good shooter, or he is a team player. But please, let me have a good laugh.</div>

I don't if you came here to bash on Allen Iverson, but questioning if Allen Iverson is great or not gave me a good laugh. [​IMG]

<u>Allen Iverson</u>

Rookie of The Year
    MVP ( Shortest Player to ever get the Award )
    2nd All-Time in PPG ( Playoffs )
    4th All-Time in PPG
    1st All-Time PPG ( All-Star Game )
    3rd All-Time SPG
    Fifty 40+ Games
    Nine 50+ Games
    2nd Youngest player to score 50 Points
    Led Philadelhpia 76ers to NBA Finals
    3 Scoring Titles ( Shortest player to get the Scoring Title )
    Led the League in Steals 3 consesutive years
    All-Star ( Starter every year selected )
    Olympian
    10th fastest player to reach 14,000 points
    All-Star Game MVP
    Rookie VS Sophmore Game MVP
    Carrer High 58 Points
    Hit the most 3 Pointers ever in the Olympics qualifying round. He hit 7 treys.
    Three times selected All-NBA Second Team (2000, 2002, 2003)
    Two time first team All-NBA Team (1999, 2001)
    Set the Sixers all-time rookie record with 1,787 points
    Had give 40+ Point games in a row as a ROOKIE. He broke Wilt Chamberlain record that stood for over 30+ years.

All of this at barely 6 Feet tall. If you don't think that's great... Then you need to look up what "great" means in the dictionary.

7. B.e.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllBoutDaPacers:</div><div class="quote_post">It was actually just for one game. Do you honestly think that the 6ers would bring AI off the bench for a whole year? [​IMG] You claim that the 6ers are your team and that AI is your favorite player, I would expect you to have heard about this incident [​IMG] .

Regardless of what MJ did, I think that he is more allowed to complain than AI. Especially since the only reason that Collins was there is because MJ asked him to coach that year.

Someone respond to my first post about AI please.</div>
    I did hear about the incedent it happened when the Sixers were playing the Pistons ;why dont you just go hate on Lebron James or something.No Sixers fans make topics in the Pacers forum making topics like "Jermain ONeal isnt good."If you saw a topic like that you would wanna defend to your teams franchised player.

8. Eclipse

Eclipse JBB JustBBall Member

AI is never going to be considered as the greatest of all time, but he is undoubtedly a hall of famer, which does put him in the upper echelon of players ever to play the game

you don't average 27 points a game for your career by accident. He might not have the size of a great fg% but he more than makes up for it with his heart and desire to win, two things you can't question about him

9. hagrid

hagrid JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">No Sixers fans make topics in the Pacers forum making topics like "Jermain ONeal isnt good."If you saw a topic like that you would wanna defend to your teams franchised player.</div>

<u>2 points:</u>

1. You've gotta get over the whole "this is our forum" mantra. Just because the poster isn't a regular in here, doesn't mean he came in to bash. The question is very legitimate and he backed up his point. He didn't just come in here and post "AI stinks". He provided a legit topic that's talked about every season.

2. Defending him based solely on the premise that he's your franchise player is lacking. This is about discussing a fault, which AI has. The man isn't perfect and you have to look beyond your devotion to the franchise and player and see this for what it is: Not personal, but just something to talk about involving the Sixers.

10. Hot Sauce

Hot Sauce JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Avery:</div><div class="quote_post">Uh, you forgot about his speed, scoring and heart. Major factors, that makes him the player he is today.

Keyword= <font color="Red">This Year</font>

Everyone has a bad year. He's been injured prone all season. As for his FG%, did you even expect it to be any good? For his career his FG% isn?t good period. And like I said what did you expect? He play's a couple games, miss some, plays some, miss some and so on. You can?t stay on top of your game if your constantly missing one game after another. He hasn?t even played 11 consecutive games without getting injured and missing at least 1 game.

He does indeed need to become a better shooter. But it's hard if you constantly have 2 defenders on you, and after you take a couple of steps or two you have another guy right near you. So people have to understand that his jump shot is not as bad as everyone say's it is. I?m not saying he's a great shooter, but come on it isn?t an easy task if the defense is always harassing you.

Do you think he's trying to make Sports Center? I doubt he'll even make the Top 9 play in Sport Center with a lay-up. I?m sure he wouldn?t sacrifice his body just to make a Top 10 highlight reel. Well let me tell you why, he always taking it up to the big men, because he has heart. That something some players lack these days. Not everyone will take it on Shaq, Duncan etc?

As for FT's not counting?I don?t what to say...But regardless if his FT% isn?t so great. He gets players in foul trouble. How do you think they won Game 1 against LA in the 2001 finals? Just incase if you don't know, he drew one foul after another, after another, and eventually Shaq got fouled out. And that?s how they won. So saying FT's doesn?t matter is completely out of proportion, and lets be real 74% is not the worst FT%. It's not like he mimicking Ben Wallace at the line.

I'll admit that was a stupid and idiotic move upon Allen Iverson. But why are you mentioning Jordan name in this. He's not Jordan. When he first came to the NBA and was criticized by his clothing style, and how he should dress in a proper attire like other great players like Jordan for example. And he clearly said "I'm not Jordan, Bird, Magic...And I don?t want to be like them. I want to be like me. Me Allen Iverson".

I don't if you came here to bash on Allen Iverson, but questioning if Allen Iverson is great or not gave me a good laugh. [​IMG]

<u>Allen Iverson</u>

Rookie of The Year
    4th All-Time in PPG
    3rd All-Time SPG
    Fifty 40+ Games
    Nine 50+ Games
    Olympian
    All-Star Game MVP
    Carrer High 58 Points
    Had give 40+ Point games in a row as a ROOKIE. He broke Wilt Chamberlain record that stood for over 30+ years.

All of this at barely 6 Feet tall. If you don't think that's great... Then you need to look up what "great" means in the dictionary.</div>

I couldnt say it better man, nice job.

11. Eclipse

Eclipse JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Avery:</div><div class="quote_post">

<u>Allen Iverson</u>

Rookie of The Year
    4th All-Time in PPG
    3rd All-Time SPG
    Fifty 40+ Games
    Nine 50+ Games
    Olympian
    All-Star Game MVP
    Carrer High 58 Points

All of this at barely 6 Feet tall. If you don't think that's great... Then you need to look up what "great" means in the dictionary.</div>

i'm not questioning his other accomplishments but just because he's the shortest player to win the MVP or the shortest player to win the scoring title doesn't mean much...the accomplishments themselves - winning the MVP, scoring title is what matters

being a great player really has nothing to size or stature, just like being the fattest player to ever win the scoring title is pretty much meaningless

12. og15

og15 JBB *********

Yea the shortest player means nothing, who cares about that garbage, but this isn't something new, Iverson has never been a high percentage scorer, never been some amazing clutch shooter, for a guy that bases a lot of his game on the line he's never been a really good free throw shooter, and his ego does get in the way of his progress as a player a lot.
    He's good at picking passing lanes but just an average on ball defender, and he can pass but is not the greatest decision maker.
    His heart and desire is what puts him above a lot of players, but if he wants to drive so much he should have been smarter and worked out with trainers to be stronger, his ego has been a big downfall for him.
    He's still a very good player but his scoring is overatted in the sense that if any other star player took his amount of shots they'd also score just as much, but that's the player he is, a shot taker, and Philly was built after he came, so their would be no other shot needers on the team so AI could thrive.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Had give 40+ Point games in a row as a ROOKIE. He broke Wilt Chamberlain record that stood for over 30+ years.</div>
    What's give lol, I'm just wondering what the number is?

13. cArMeLo15

cArMeLo15 JBB JustBBall Member

I think me means five lol.

14. og15

og15 JBB *********

Oh lol yea I should have figured that out with g and f so close to each other, it seriously stumped me for a while looking at it.

15. AIFan

AIFan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllBoutDaPacers:</div><div class="quote_post">Other than steals and assists, I do not see what everyone thinks is so great about Allen Iverson. This year, he shot 38.7 % from the field on over 23 shots per game. If any non ?star? shot that poorly and took that many shots, they would be on the bench. I can understand that someone needs to take it upon themselves to put their team over the top, but you need to be a better shooter. He needs to pass the ball. Yes he averages over 6 assists per game, but think if he passed instead of taking stupid shots. You can run into crowds of tall people and try to make lay-ups that go in by sheer luck but how does that help your team? The NBA isn?t about making SportsCenter. Even though he gets 9.5 free throw attempts per game, if you only shoot 74.5% from the line it doesn?t matter. The only way you could make a case to attempt that stupidity is if you shoot better than 90% at the line. But still, that just means you would be hurt all of the time like Iverson.

Allen Iverson also showed that he cares more about himself than his team when he refused to come off of the bench because he felt it was below him. The last time I checked, basketball was a team sport, would it really hurt to come off of the bench when the coach asks? Even Jordan came off the bench during his career, and I doubt he cried like a baby when it happened.

The thing that is going to be disturbing to me is how somebody is going to disprove the facts I have presented and say Iverson is a good shooter, or he is a team player. But please, let me have a good laugh.</div>If everyone got ostracised after an off season, there wouldn't be any great players to speak of. So he had a bad season, BFD, that doesn't take away all of the accomplishments in his career. MJ, for example, after averaging above 30pts for his career, his last season w/Washington he averaged a career low 20ppg.

16. AllBoutDaPacers

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AIFan:</div><div class="quote_post">If everyone got ostracised after an off season, there wouldn't be any great players to speak of. So he had a bad season, BFD, that doesn't take away all of the accomplishments in his career. MJ, for example, after averaging above 30pts for his career, his last season w/Washington he averaged a career low 20ppg.</div>

Michael Jordan also was an old man who couldn't jump in Washington. Iverson isn't even thirty. Call it a bad season, but take his career numbers. They don't seem that great to me.

I was taught that in basketball if you were double-teamed you have a teammate open and you should pass them the ball. Obviously that isn't the case because Iverson tries to do everything by himself. Think about how good he would be if he passed to those open teammates. Stockton was an excellent player because he had control over his emotions in games and didn't try to do everything himself. He passed for an average of 10.5 apg over his career and shot over 50%. Iverson could acheive that level of greatness, but he needs to give the ball up and trust his teammates. Contrary to popular belief, ppg is not everything, and field goal percentage is more valuable.

Running into a crowd of shotblockers on a regular basis does not show that you have heart, it shows that you are stupid.

17. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

I think it's due to the fact, he does so much whilst being undersized and underpowered. No one can match his heart or effort, his injuries and what he does show this. Even if he wouldn't pull it off, he'd still be willing to try where others wouldn't dare go. This being him driving up and fighting against the best, the baddest and the biggest of them.

18. Melo-#15

Melo-#15 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllBoutDaPacers:</div><div class="quote_post">

Running into a crowd of shotblockers on a regular basis does not show that you have heart, it shows that you are stupid.</div>

LMFAO..MAO.LMFAO..HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....I NEARLY PISSE DMYSELF WHEN I SAW THIS...LMAO..LOL!

19. B.e.

When he penetrates ,it shows hes not scared he draws fouls when he gets in the paint to so actually its not stupid, but he is putting his body in a risk to get pounded.

Also your saying AI doesnt pass out of a double team how many Sixers games have you watched?I think he may get a little selfish but he also averaged almost 7 assist a game.He also averaged 6.8apg thats the same as Jay Willams more than Steve Francis more than Chauncey Billups amd more than Andre Miller;he doesnt evemn play point guard so you cant question his passing in my opinion.

Another thing is Stockton played pg AI doesnt,so that is an off compaison.

20. AllBoutDaPacers

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting B-22:</div><div class="quote_post">When he penetrates ,it shows hes not scared he draws fouls when he gets in the paint to so actually its not stupid, but he is putting his body in a risk to get pounded.

Also your saying AI doesnt pass out of a double team how many Sixers games have you watched?I think he may get a little selfish but he also averaged almost 7 assist a game.He also averaged 6.8apg thats the same as Jay Willams more than Steve Francis more than Chauncey Billups amd more than Andre Miller;he doesnt evemn play point guard so you cant question his passing in my opinion.

Another thing is Stockton played pg AI doesnt,so that is an off compaison.</div>

Any time you average over 23 shots per game, you don't pass enough, expecially if you shoot under 40%. I have acknowledged that he can dish out assists, but if he passed even more he would be a good player.
    When people compare players, it does not matter what position they play. People compare Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzsky because they were the greatest players in their sport. Stockton was a small player who was a better shooter because he wisely chose his shots. He also had more assists and because of this, he was a winner. If Iverson patterned his game after Stockton he would be a winner too. His teammates have the ability to score, he is just too greedy to let them do just that. 6.8 assists means nothing if you take 23 shots. If he took 15 shots per game and passed the rest of the time, he could average 11 or 12 assists per game and shoot a decent percentage. Is that too much to ask for?