Allen Iverson: The Discussion

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by AllBoutDaPacers, May 13, 2004.

1. Sasha

Sasha ...since the beginning.

I don't despise Carter, I don't despise anyone in the league, everyone has his own way of playing. I am just saying that Allen is better than those three guys. Also, we're talking about the status of these players as it stands right now, not whether they will be ready to run in a few years. Right now, Iverson is better than those three.

2. ADubb20

ADubb20 JBB JustBBall Member

If you swap Iverson with any of those players (VC,Peirce or Baron) then the teams would be worse because they are built around those players. Well, who knows what the Celts are built around these days (should not have been in the playoffs). I think those players are better, maybe not Baron, and Peirce is slightly better but he is declining into Iversonlike percentages. I think pound for pound A.I. is the best player in the league (inch for inch I guess basketballwise).

3. og15

og15 JBB *********

I hear you, I'd put him over Marbury could argue that one, but you could definately argue for Pierce, and Baron was very impressive with the team he had this year..

4. ADubb20

ADubb20 JBB JustBBall Member

There's low percentage shots and there's jacking. AI shoots a low percentage but Baron Davis heaved up more 3 balls than Twoine, which in itself deserves some sort or recognition. This is one reason I don't like Baron too much.

I think the Sixers should trade Glenn Robinson and some other guys like McKie and bring a solid offensive rebounder and a 3 point bomber, this would help out Iverson alot, creating extra possesions and such. I don't think their rookie will fit that well but I don't know much about him. All I can say is that you could toss him into a deal and get some quality guys in. Maybe they can work out a deal bringing in Jerome Williams or Fortson, who are excellent offensive rebounders and have some contracts on em, and get a 3 point shooter.

5. LebronJames456

LebronJames456 JBB JustBBall Member

Iverson

Iverson is a great player but everybody keeps picking faults about him. Just because he has a few more tatoos than other players dosent make him a bad player or a bad person. Did Iverson Chicken out of the olympics because of security reasons. Iverson and Duncan are the only two original players left in the team. And I am sick of people saying he is a ball hog. He gets 6 assists a game. In the all star game 2004 he got 11 assists and only 3 points. He had so many open layups and shots. He gave Carter 3 alley oops when he could have got the points for himself. And people still call him a ball hog. Why does everybody keep saying he sucks.

6. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">There's low percentage shots and there's jacking. AI shoots a low percentage but Baron Davis heaved up more 3 balls than Twoine, which in itself deserves some sort or recognition. This is one reason I don't like Baron too much</div>
    Yea I know, but even with that Baron's FG effieciency was 46.3%, that's pretty good, he might have take a lot, but when you make them (three's) it's more points than making a 2..
    That 46.3% FG efficiency is higher than Carter, Francis, Artest, Pierce, Iverson, Kidd, Rose, Billups, Arenas (46.1 also not as bad as presumed) only a few less than Kobe's (47.1%), and Tmac's (47.2%), and the same as Richard Hamilton's, Stephon Marbury's and Joe Johnson's, so just looking at his FG precentage or 3 point percentage straight like that is very decieving.
    Also David Wesley the teams second option was injured, and Baron was really the only playmaker, their was also DA at point, but he impact wasn't big enough.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">In the all star game 2004 he got 11 assists and only 3 points. He had so many open layups and shots. He gave Carter 3 alley oops when he could have got the points for himself. And people still call him a ball hog. Why does everybody keep saying he sucks.</div>
    I don't think people give much merit to an All-Star game in that sense.

7. LebronJames456

Yeah Youre Right Philla Fan 22

8. LebronJames456

Yeah Youre Right Philla Fan 22

9. LebronJames456

Iverson is not a ball hog. Of course you hate Iverson because youre a pacers fan. I can pick out alot of faults about Jermaine O'Neal if i wanted to.

10. TheAnswerIsAi3

TheAnswerIsAi3 BBW Member

Iverson can sometimes be a ball hog but alot of times he dishes out 7-9 assists per game. Dont get me wrong....Iverson is my fav. player!!!

11. Duece~2

Duece~2 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting LebronJames456:</div><div class="quote_post">Iverson is not a ball hog. Of course you hate Iverson because youre a pacers fan. I can pick out alot of faults about Jermaine O'Neal if i wanted to.</div>

Yes he is a ball hog, but a good player, and that you say about J.O.....every bball player makes mistakes.

12. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting LebronJames456:</div><div class="quote_post">Iverson is not a ball hog. Of course you hate Iverson because youre a pacers fan. I can pick out alot of faults about Jermaine O'Neal if i wanted to.</div>
    This doesn't even make sense, I saw like one Pacer fan post in this thread.

13. SportsTicker

SportsTicker News Feed

First-time poster with my two cents.

Most of the arguments people make against AI boil down to his inefficiency, e.g. bad shooting percentages. I think those arguments are valid and if he could improve he would be much more valuable.

I also think the incident about not coming off the bench was embarrassing. His pride got the better of him.

However, I still think AI is a special player and should be recognized/commended for some things:
    1. He is always a threat to take over a game and drop 40 or 50 on someone.
    2. Opponents need to account for him, be prepared to double him, put their best guy on him, etc. (If he dishes properly then teammates should be able to capitalize -- and they did, 6.8 times per game last year)
    3. Despite trade rumors and frequently negative media/fans he has always been loyal to Philly and the Sixers. "It is a business" but there is an argument that he deserves the same.
    4. He puts opponents in foul trouble.
    5. His steals feed the transition game (yes, he gambles for those steals and sometimes gets beat).
    6. He tires people out from chasing him for 48 minutes.
    7. He plays with intensity 100% of the time. This must inspire other players. The Sixers are recognized as a team with high intensity (particularly on defense) and it can't hurt to have one of the league's toughest, hardest-working guys out there to set the tone. AI has been my favorite player since I saw his Sixers debut when he was diving for loose balls and basically running non-stop.
    8. He didn't bail on the olympics like everyone else, and is proud to represent America.
    9. He fills the seats and makes the team fun to watch.
    10. People do NOT look forward to playing against him -- I found this scouting report on a Cavs fan site:
    http://cavaliers.00sports.com/previews/preview15.html

I acknowledge there are better players in the league, but I am glad to have AI in Philly, hopefully for good.

14. LebronJames456

One of iversons biggest mistakes was not coming off the bench. He said he helps his team in anyway possible. But he wont come off the bench for only one game.