Allen Iverson Tribute

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by Really Lost One, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Butter

Butter JBB Blood Sugar Baby

<div class="quote_poster">Pakman Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Not true there, Butter. Iverson has been so big to the 76ers franchise that you dont even have to live in or near Philly to respect the guy. If you watch NBA, you know automatically.</div>

Well it seems like people around Philadelphia realize it much more. I am glad that you see the real Iverson, so you must be a real NBA fan, not someone who listens to the media's bad perception of him.

2. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

Iverson Comments on Fans

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Allen Iverson saved his last crossover in Philadelphia for a small group of anxious reporters and cameramen.

They never stood a chance.

While Iverson was ensconced last night inside the swanky Hilton Hotel on City Avenue near Stout Road, about a dozen media members shivered outside in the cold near his jet-black Rolls-Royce, hoping for an impromptu farewell news conference.

Rumors abounded - was A.I. planning an all-night farewell party, or was he going to dash out of a secret exit?

Without warning, Iverson finally emerged from the Hilton shortly after 8. Decked out in a camouflage jacket and a white Yankees cap, he quietly descended the hotel's carpeted steps and marched toward a charcoal-colored Dodge Charger.

The reporters and cameramen shuffled and stumbled, desperate to get a few more precious sound bites from the tight-lipped superstar. They did - sort of.

Asked whether he had any final words for his local fans, Iverson said only: "I love them."

With that, his driver hit the gas pedal, and Iverson was gone, leaving a bunch of crestfallen folks with notepads and microphones in his wake.

It appeared the onus was on Iverson to get on an airplane as soon as possible. The National Weather Service was predicting that a massive snowstorm would hit Denver in the early-morning hours today, blanketing the Mile High City with 10 to 20 inches of snow.

"If it's logistically possible, it's going to happen," Mark Warkentien, the Nuggets' vice president of basketball operations, said yesterday of the possibility that Iverson would play for his new team tonight.

But Iverson still has to pass a physical before he can take the court at the Pepsi Center, and he is not expected to play tonight when the Nuggets begin a four-game homestand against the Phoenix Suns. Their next game is Friday against Sacramento.

</div>

Link

[​IMG]

3. Answer_AI03

Answer_AI03 JBB JustBBall Member

Iverson is not only the face of the 76ers and the city of philadelphia, but basketball in general. he represents an era in basketball that will be remembered forever. 20 years ago there was jordon, bird, magic, and others. now theres kobe bryant, shaq, tim duncan, kevin garnett, and Allen Iverson. very soon the up and coming stars like lebron, carmello, and wade will take the torch from these players and become part of a new era in basketball. along with a couple other players, iverson defined basketball in the late 90's and ealry 00's. he has been the most entertaining player in the sport since he has been here. these there will never be a player that plays with the fearlessness and heart that iverson did. i've loved the game of basketball since the first time i saw him play, and some of my best memories so far in my life have been from playing basketball. even if he's in denver now, i'll always remember him as a sixer.

4. AIFan

AIFan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Answer_AI03 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Iverson is not only the face of the 76ers and the city of philadelphia, but basketball in general. he represents an era in basketball that will be remembered forever. 20 years ago there was jordon, bird, magic, and others. now theres kobe bryant, shaq, tim duncan, kevin garnett, and Allen Iverson. very soon the up and coming stars like lebron, carmello, and wade will take the torch from these players and become part of a new era in basketball. along with a couple other players, iverson defined basketball in the late 90's and ealry 00's. he has been the most entertaining player in the sport since he has been here. these there will never be a player that plays with the fearlessness and heart that iverson did. i've loved the game of basketball since the first time i saw him play, and some of my best memories so far in my life have been from playing basketball. even if he's in denver now, i'll always remember him as a sixer.</div>Nice post. I think what you were trying to say is that Iverson is the face of the merger of hip hop and basketball. He represents the hip hop generation like no other has.

5. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

Man Allen Iverson spent about 10 years here. The guy gave it his al every single game. He was a true Sixer. People will definitely miss him. He had a true passion for the game, and too bad he never really had a championship around him. Good luck in Denver and lets hope the man finds his luck there!

6. Mr. Bigshot

Mr. Bigshot JBB JustBBall Member

My favorite bball memory is of AI taking the Sixers to the Finals in 2001. He is a great player, lock to go to the Hall of Fame, and hopefully we can rebuild quickly after losing the face of our franchise over the last decade.

7. hipokrat_x(LV)

hipokrat_x(LV) JBB JustBBall Member

Well it's sad that it came to trading AI. I can only blame 76ers management for this and in no way AI. AI was 76ers heart and sould for all his NBA carrier, and management just exploited him for all these years like Timberwolves management do Kevin Garnet, selling tickets, and never surouded him with much needed talent and help. Guy whants to win, and I hope he will not make us disapoint in him at denver. Maybe best of AI is yet to be seen, but allready in Nugets...
    And about missing pratice and stuff, well if you knew that there is no point to make playoff since you still gona lose in the end. I think that 2001 final crushed him, that he knew that without help from 76ers management he can't win the title alone. Well now he has melo and prety decent team around them, and i can't whait to see what will happen next...

8. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class="quote_poster">hipokrat_x(LV) Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Well it's sad that it came to trading AI. I can only blame 76ers management for this and in no way AI. AI was 76ers heart and sould for all his NBA carrier, and management just exploited him for all these years like Timberwolves management do Kevin Garnet, selling tickets, and never surouded him with much needed talent and help. Guy whants to win, and I hope he will not make us disapoint in him at denver. Maybe best of AI is yet to be seen, but allready in Nugets...
    And about missing pratice and stuff, well if you knew that there is no point to make playoff since you still gona lose in the end. I think that 2001 final crushed him, that he knew that without help from 76ers management he can't win the title alone. Well now he has melo and prety decent team around them, and i can't whait to see what will happen next...</div>

To completely clear AI of any blame would be off beam. There is enough blame to go around. Although, the organization never really committed to putting the talent around Iverson in order to build a contending team. Iverson never committed to coming to practice day in and day out and making the most out of what he had to work with. Not to mention skipping team function, etc. While there is no question, when on the court he gave 100%, you can argue that off the court that was not the case.

9. Flow

Flow ATLiens

Studdying
    Yeah, AI is going to be a HOF. I have never seen a player like him before.
    But he is still alive and I like him a lot more in Denver now.
    But I still don't think that he's going to get that ring there. Where they have to face up against teams like the Mavs, SUNS and the Spurs.
    I believe that even full healthy L.A. can beat them.

But they should get past the 1st round.