Allen Iverson's FG % to go up...

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by MVPlaya, Dec 12, 2003.

1. MVPlaya

MVPlaya JBB Banned Member

Well I'm tryin to prove that his height IS a factore. Yes he should have the quick release down but it is also shooting over peoeple. Have you ever seen those high arching shots? The ones where you see the ball go off the screen from start and don't see it untill it finishes?

Thats what i'm talkin about. Yes his shot SHOULD be better but his height is a factor. Shapecity made a really good post... his teammates, conditioning, etc.

Why do I think Iverson's shot is better than his %? Because I seen him play, and he takes a lot of low % shots since he doesn't believe in his teammates(some of them are scared to take shots, and some of them just straight out suck at shooting *cought***eric snow***). He makes most of his open shots... and he plays great in the All-Star game.

If you disagree, its fine, I'm not here to tell you somethin thats not a fact and make sure you believe it.

I bring Earl Boykings in because hes just one of the shorter people in the league that can score. 5'5 and 6 is a big diff, it was just an example to get the point that height and FG is a factor.

I'm not tryin to make an excuse for his low % shot, I'm just tryin to say it will go up... which is what this thread was named but things go mixed up lol

In the end nothin personal... all the attacks are out...

So if you have somethin to say, make sure its not somethin that will start up an argument again...

Shapecity's bottem line pretty much cleared things up.

2. starman85

starman85 JBB JustBBall Member

Watch AI on the court, and watch who guards him everytime - someone at least a half foot taller than him. And it had better be, because when teams put equal sized guys on AI, he shoots in thier faces.

TB76 and MVPlaya have semi-valid points - much of AI's fg % is because of his height. But that's not the only reason.

This is a fact - no other player Iverson's height or shorter have ever put up as many fga per game as him. That is why other teams key their defense to stopping him. So that, combined with his height, is what lowers his shooting percentage. It's not that he's really a bad shooter, or he would never have made it to the NBA.

As for Big Dog returning, it means that their is another legit scorer on the floor. But it doesn't mean that defense will let AI go it one on one. Most likely, you'll see Snow or McKey left open, so their fg percent.s will go up. Iverson's may go up some, but not much.

<font color="red">And yall, lets just stop the personal attacks in here. They're getting old, and taking away from a valid debate.</font>

3. MVPlaya

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting starman85:</div><div class="quote_post">Watch AI on the court, and watch who guards him everytime - someone at least a half foot taller than him. And it had better be, because when teams put equal sized guys on AI, he shoots in thier faces.

TB76 and MVPlaya have semi-valid points - much of AI's fg % is because of his height. But that's not the only reason.

This is a fact - no other player Iverson's height or shorter have ever put up as many fga per game as him. That is why other teams key their defense to stopping him. So that, combined with his height, is what lowers his shooting percentage. It's not that he's really a bad shooter, or he would never have made it to the NBA.

As for Big Dog returning, it means that their is another legit scorer on the floor. But it doesn't mean that defense will let AI go it one on one. Most likely, you'll see Snow or McKey left open, so their fg percent.s will go up. Iverson's may go up some, but not much.

<font color="red">And yall, lets just stop the personal attacks in here. They're getting old, and taking away from a valid debate.</font></div>
    Yes what you said it true...and everyone has their opinions. We won't know untill a while since AI might not be playin till next year but hopefully he does. I expect him to, he has the heart and he always plays through injuries...if he doesn't this one is pretty bad.

I think that once they realize Big Dogg can score, Iverson can get better FG % shots, so his FG % will increase. Thats just what I think, anythin can happen. McKie should take more shots and Eric Snow needs to work on his jump shot because it is ugly and it never goes in.

4. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MVPlaya:</div><div class="quote_post">and he plays great in the All-Star game.</div>

You just gotta love that line right there.

After it's all said and done, MVPlaya let shapecity take over his own debate. Iverson's bad % shows more of bad percentage shots, and AI knowing that he has no scoring threats besides him, which makes him take those kind of shots, more than his shot being off.

5. MVPlaya

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Purple N Gold:</div><div class="quote_post">You just gotta love that line right there.

After it's all said and done, MVPlaya let shapecity take over his own debate. Iverson's bad % shows more of bad percentage shots, and AI knowing that he has no scoring threats besides him, which makes him take those kind of shots, more than his shot being off.</div>
    Height is still a reason, I didn't let shapecity "take over". Its just that he is admin and I know everyone will be scared to argue with him.

As you can see he pointed out great points... thats all I'm still talkin, its not like I just stopped.

6. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MVPlaya:</div><div class="quote_post">Height is still a reason, I didn't let shapecity "take over". Its just that he is admin and I know everyone will be scared to argue with him.
    As you can see he pointed out great points... thats all I'm still talkin, its not like I just stopped.</div>

Why do you say that? This board is meant for arguing and debating. If it's an intelligent, clean argument, I have no problem whatsoever. :mrgreen:

7. MVPlaya

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting shapecity:</div><div class="quote_post">Why do you say that? This board is meant for arguing and debating. If it's an intelligent, clean argument, I have no problem whatsoever. :mrgreen:</div>
    Its not that... lol...its just that your have so much power lol

8. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MVPlaya:</div><div class="quote_post">I didn't let shapecity "take over". Its just that he is admin and I know everyone will be scared to argue with him.</div>

You really havn't been here long enough have you? quite a few have argued with Shape here at JBB.You shouldn't really look at the title of a poster and decide not to make your points which could change theirs.

9. MVPlaya

I have been here long enough and yes I have seen some thrown out. Its just human nature, its like seein a cop or police when your driving... everyone starts to do things perfectly and makes sure everythin is perfect so they won't get caught. Thats if they know the police car is right there...

Again man, why must you throw this off topic?

10. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MVPlaya:</div><div class="quote_post">I have been here long enough and yes I have seen some thrown out. Its just human nature, its like seein a cop or police when your driving... everyone starts to do things perfectly and makes sure everythin is perfect so they won't get caught. Thats if they know the police car is right there...

Again man, why must you throw this off topic?</div>

There is nothing in our guidelines against arguing with shape, lol. Those who were "thrown out" violated the guidelines in some other way.

And your cop analogy didn't make sense.

11. MVPlaya

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">There is nothing in our guidelines against arguing with shape, lol. Those who were "thrown out" violated the guidelines in some other way.

And your cop analogy didn't make sense.</div>
    No but people just get scared, did you read the last line? lol

Look, if you see a cop are you still gonna do 100 pass the stop light? Isn't your awareness for driving gonna be a little higher?

The fact that he has higher authority that all others, he has the right to get you in trouble, warn you, etc, if he gets mad. He might not be that kind of man, but its just human nature.

Did you read the last line? Stop takin this off topic...

12. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MVPlaya:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Again man, why must you throw this off topic?</div>

Was replying to your post about "getting scared to reply because he is an admin" not going off-topic.Wasn't me who mentioned it.Afterall it is only a message board so who you reply to doesn't matter.Anyways I noticed Sixers won again with no AI again.I still feel Sixers play much better team basketball without him.Iverson will always get his shots.However it just seems they play better when he is not there.Proving a point to him might be the reason.If only they play as a team more when he is there.Sixers could be very dangerous.

13. MVPlaya

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting allnet:</div><div class="quote_post">Was replying to your post about "getting scared to reply because he is an admin" not going off-topic.Wasn't me who mentioned it.Afterall it is only a message board so who you reply to doesn't matter.Anyways I noticed Sixers won again with no AI again.I still feel Sixers play much better team basketball without him.Iverson will always get his shots.However it just seems they play better when he is not there.Proving a point to him might be the reason.If only they play as a team more when he is there.Sixers could be very dangerous.</div>

I know but there isn't really a reason to continue that subject, it has nothin to do with the Sixers.

You can think what you want, but Iverson is the reason why Sixers are where they are. What about thos enight where he gets 40, 50, 35, etc. No one will put up those numbers, every team needs a star.

If you really think they play better than think that, I still hope Sixers win without him. Who do Sixers really have as a threat when someone has an off night? Who will score 40 points on nights? 30 points on some nights? No body. Iverson brings electricity to the Sixers, the spark.

There are a lot of people who think the Sixers play better, but the bottem line is every team needs a star... no team will get far without one. Unless you are the Jazz, they have a great coach and great chemistry. Nothin against the players too, they have AK-47, Harpring, Ostertag... etc.

So you are sayin if Sixers never had IVerson this season they would be better than where they are?

Also try to space after your periods...

14. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MVPlaya:</div><div class="quote_post">I know but there isn't really a reason to continue that subject, it has nothin to do with the Sixers.

You can think what you want, but Iverson is the reason why Sixers are where they are. What about thos enight where he gets 40, 50, 35, etc. No one will put up those numbers, every team needs a star.

If you really think they play better than think that, I still hope Sixers win without him. Who do Sixers really have as a threat when someone has an off night? Who will score 40 points on nights? 30 points on some nights? No body. Iverson brings electricity to the Sixers, the spark.

There are a lot of people who think the Sixers play better, but the bottem line is every team needs a star... no team will get far without one. Unless you are the Jazz, they have a great coach and great chemistry. Nothin against the players too, they have AK-47, Harpring, Ostertag... etc.

So you are sayin if Sixers never had IVerson this season they would be better than where they are?

Also try to space after your periods...</div>

Didn't say they were better but they play better team basketball more shots, better shots...and overall they all know they must lift their game up that much more.

Someone mentioned this on another board

"Well at the end of 2002 he missed the final 12 games and the Sixers went 8-4 which was better than thier percentage with Iverson in the lineup.

So he is injured again and yet they are winning. When he was playing they actually sucked, now with him out they look good.

Iverson has lead the league in shots taken (despite being a horrible shooter) 4 times now and it's lead his team basically nowhere. I think the proof is int he pudding, he needs to stop shooting so much or the Sixers fate will be as it usually is: out early in the playoffs."

Take what you want with that post.I can't say I agree...but It goes along with the words.Team basketball.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Also try to space after your periods</div>

My post wasn't long.So why should I space it? Surely It doesn't hurt your brain too much to read it?

15. MVPlaya

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting allnet:</div><div class="quote_post">Didn't say they were better but they play better team basketball more shots, better shots...and overall they all know they must lift their game up that much more.

Someone mentioned this on another board

"Well at the end of 2002 he missed the final 12 games and the Sixers went 8-4 which was better than thier percentage with Iverson in the lineup.

So he is injured again and yet they are winning. When he was playing they actually sucked, now with him out they look good.

Iverson has lead the league in shots taken (despite being a horrible shooter) 4 times now and it's lead his team basically nowhere. I think the proof is int he pudding, he needs to stop shooting so much or the Sixers fate will be as it usually is: out early in the playoffs."

Take what you want with that post.I can't say I agree...but It goes along with the words.Team basketball.

My post wasn't long.So why should I space it? Surely It doesn't hurt your brain too much to read it?</div>

Despite being a horrible shooter? Have you read one post in this thread? He has lead his team to the play-offs, is that anything to you? Winning MVP, gettin to the Finals, is that anythin to yoU?

Know what your talkin about, you tell me you didn't say the team is better but in the end you said the team is better...

Spacin after periods is just normal, do you type essays at all?

And 8-4 at the end of the 2002 season? What are you talkin about?

http://www.nba.com/sixers/schedule/results_2001.html
    http://www.nba.com/sixers/schedule/results_2002.html

Don't see 8-4 in either?

16. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MVPlaya:</div><div class="quote_post">Despite being a horrible shooter? Have you read one post in this thread? He has lead his team to the play-offs, is that anything to you? Winning MVP, gettin to the Finals, is that anythin to yoU?

Know what your talkin about, you tell me you didn't say the team is better but in the end you said the team is better...

Spacin after periods is just normal, do you type essays at all?

And 8-4 at the end of the 2002 season? What are you talkin about?

http://www.nba.com/sixers/schedule/results_2001.html
    http://www.nba.com/sixers/schedule/results_2002.html

Don't see 8-4 in either?</div>

PLEASE READ what I said "Someone mentioned this on another board"

I said right after that I don't agree with his statements.But playing better team basketball is what Sixers do without Iverson.Or it at least seems that way to me.Not that they are a better team without him as thats not true.Just they share the ball around better.

The Sixers did go 5-3 from what I remember without Iverson heading into their series with Boston.I don't remember the 8-4 part.So I don't know

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Spacin after periods is just normal, do you type essays at all?</div>

Plenty and there is a time for spaces in posts and then again there isn't.I find it funny how you are telling me a well respected poster how to post.Very funny indeed.

17. MVPlaya

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting allnet:</div><div class="quote_post">PLEASE READ what I said "Someone mentioned this on another board"

I said right after that I don't agree with his statements.But playing better team basketball is what Sixers do without Iverson.Or it at least seems that way to me.Not that they are a better team without him as thats not true.Just they share the ball around better.

The Sixers did go 5-3 from what I remember without Iverson heading into their series with Boston.I don't remember the 8-4 part.So I don't know

Plenty and there is a time for spaces in posts and then again there isn't.I find it funny how you are telling me a well respected poster how to post.Very funny indeed.</div>

The share the ball better but that doesn't always lead to the best. And 5-3 is decent...

You can call yourself respected, but you don't got respect from me. I'm just sayin its annoying how you don't space after a period... its just annoying to read. You gotta take everythin personally... it don't matter to me, but a true respected person doesn't go out and call themselves respected like they are king.

18. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting MVPlaya:</div><div class="quote_post">The share the ball better but that doesn't always lead to the best. And 5-3 is decent...

You can call yourself respected, but you don't got respect from me. I'm just sayin its annoying how you don't space after a period... its just annoying to read. You gotta take everythin personally... it don't matter to me, but a true respected person doesn't go out and call themselves respected like they are king.</div>

Clearly I'm not going to get my point across here.You as an Iverson groupie that will say anything to try and think the Sixers don't play better team basketball without him.Don't blame you.

Like I care that I don't have your respect.The point of my post was don't ever tell me how to post.I have been here a long time where no one complains what I do.I bring alot to this board so don't ever tell me what to do here.Funny how you mention "you got to take everything personal" when it is you who takes everything people say to heart.This thread is a prefect example of that.You got upset in the all-star game thread from what Sandman said.You are doing it again here.

19. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I have been assured by both of you, that you will keep this thread on topic. No more personal attacks will be allowed. This thread has a tight leash. Thread re-opened.

20. MVPlaya

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting dexter:</div><div class="quote_post">I have been assured by both of you, that you will keep this thread on topic. No more personal attacks will be allowed. This thread has a tight leash. Thread re-opened.</div>
    Thank you dexter