Allen thinks Sonics need to make a deal

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Sir Desmond, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The GMs are talking about potential, and the promises made this weekend will unveil themselves in the coming days.

And what of the home team?

Allen is one of many Sonics observers who believe his front office should make a deal. Before departing to Los Angeles for the All-Star Game, the Sonics' co-captain spoke candidly of his team.

He bought into the directive from above, believing, as GM Rick Sund has preached, that this season is a time to answer questions about a roster that has nine players 27 years old or younger.

Namely, is Rashard Lewis a legitimate second scoring option, or is he the third piece on a playoff-contending team?

Is Vladimir Radmanovic suited to play the power forward position or is he a better fit at small forward, which he prefers?

Can Jerome James provide a steady presence at center?

The answers would seem to be clear with Seattle's 25-27 record.

"It's not working," Allen says. </div>

<font size="1">Full Story courtesy of the Seattle Times.</font>

Keeping in mind that Ray's contract expires after 2004/05 and Seattle will want to extend him before then, this trading deadline could be one of the most important in recent Sonic history.

2. Shard

Shard Hi2u

I hope that is not implying that the Sonics trade Rashard Lewis... that would be a tough pill to swallow after losing GP and DMase.

3. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

I myself was hoping even if Barry is not traded that Antonio Daniels gets more playing time. I think you should let Radmanovic, play what position he wants more from now on and from time to time. He provides well for your team with what time he gets. As for everything else, Rashard is just inconsistent, he is great however and if improved will be such an invaluable asset like he already is.

Look at Randolph, he's been having some off games, but he's a great player. The same can be said for Rashard Lewis. Like Shard said, losing Desmond Mason and Gary Payton was already a great loss for the team overall. If you're gonna let someone go, let it be Barry, he wants to leave and can get you someone you really need. A big man capable of great things on both ends of the floor.

4. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Magic Johnson:</div><div class="quote_post">I myself was hoping even if Barry is not traded that Antonio Daniels gets more playing time. I think you should let Radmanovic, play what position he wants more from now on and from time to time. He provides well for your team with what time he gets. As for everything else, Rashard is just inconsistent, he is great however and if improved will be such an invaluable asset like he already is.</div>

You are contradicting yourself here a bit. The big problem with Radmanovic is he is a natural small forward, and having Rashard on the roster prevents him from being able to play where he is best suited and wants to. It is either one or the other here, otherwise Radmanovic represents valuable trade bait.

5. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    This Sonics team needs to trade one of Lewis and Radmanovic. I say trade Vlad, as Rashard has the potential to be an all-star. Barry needs to go as well, and Flip will be a nice trade bait, since he just can't find a spot in the Sonics roster.

If the Sonics want to do a big trade, I suggest Barry, Jerome James and Radmanovic to Chicago for Jerome Williams, Corie Blount and a second-rounder. This would give the Sonics some inside strength and rebounding. Daniels would start at point guard and Flip will back up both guard spots and be the 6th man off the bench. I'm not sure if the salaries would work, but both teams get equal value in my opinion.

The Sonics lineup would look like this:

PG-Daniels/Murray/Ridnour/Frahm
    SG-Allen/Daniels/Murray/Frahm
    SF-Shard/Jerome Williams/Sesay
    PF-Jerome Williams/Corie Blount/Booth
    C-Calvin Booth/Corie Blount/Potapenko

6. Crossover

Crossover JBB JustBBall Member

MJ... with Barry injured, Daniels has been getting more minutes, and making great use of them.

7. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting franchise3:</div><div class="quote_post">This Sonics team needs to trade one of Lewis and Radmanovic. I say trade Vlad, as Rashard has the potential to be an all-star. Barry needs to go as well, and Flip will be a nice trade bait, since he just can't find a spot in the Sonics roster.

If the Sonics want to do a big trade, I suggest Barry, Jerome James and Radmanovic to Chicago for Jerome Williams, Corie Blount and a second-rounder. This would give the Sonics some inside strength and rebounding. Daniels would start at point guard and Flip will back up both guard spots and be the 6th man off the bench. I'm not sure if the salaries would work, but both teams get equal value in my opinion.

The Sonics lineup would look like this:

PG-Daniels/Murray/Ridnour/Frahm
    SG-Allen/Daniels/Murray/Frahm
    SF-Shard/Jerome Williams/Sesay
    PF-Jerome Williams/Corie Blount/Booth
    C-Calvin Booth/Corie Blount/Potapenko</div>

There is no way I would consider that trade from a Seattle perspective. Barry AND Radman should net back more than Jerome Williams and Corie Blount. Williams is IMO a small forward in the West, while he may be a hard worker and very energetic and intense, Seattle gives up WAY too much talent in this trade.