Allen To Be Traded In The Off-Season?

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Vyper, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Vyper

Vyper -Vintage '73-

jaded corporate lackey
    Allen to be traded in the offseason?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Sonics might be looking at trading Allen, according to a report.
    The Dallas Morning News said the Sonics are considering trading Allen in the offseason because they don't think they can sign him to an extension and want to be sure they receive something in return.</div>

Link

2. Quyen

Quyen JBB JustBBall Member

what? are you kidding me....he's like their franchise...why'd they do that [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ?

3. Shard

Shard Hi2u

Theres no way they dont sign him, when you're dealing with a player of Allen's caliber you have to go all out. Trading wise there are no players at Ray's level of skill and fan friendliness that the Sonics could get.

4. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Shard has hit the nail right on the head there, there is simply not a player up for trade that Seattle could get back that would match the value Ray has been to this franchise. Unless the team wants to completely start again and trade for a bad contract and a young stud, it is very hard to see the team making these sorts of whispers this early. No one k nows what will happen in the offseason yet, I can't see the point to making these sorts of rumours with 25-30 games to go in the season.

5. Vyper

Vyper -Vintage '73-

jaded corporate lackey
    I don't see how they would consider not trading him ESPECIALLY since they traded Glove for him. i think this would be a baaaaaaaaaad baaaaaaad move by Sonics management that could potentially set them back 5 seasons or more...

6. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I don't buy the article at all. The Sonics management would only be making it worse if they made a statement like that. They are only hurting themselves if they admit they have doubt they can sign Ray Allen. The Sonics have nice young talent to build around, and they will soon be in a salary cap friendly environment to make up for the mistake signing of Jerome James, with addition to Potapenko coming off the books.

7. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Shape, Jerome James will likely opt out of his final year in the offseason, giving management a HUGE escape hatch. I agree that Seattle management wouldn't let something like this out if it were true, I don't buy a word of it.

8. RiverspoonJones

RiverspoonJones JBB Sonic Death Monkey

I wouldn't want to see us a pull a Phoenix-esque trade until we've seen the Ridnour-Allen-Shard-Collison-whoever line-up... Would have to be a offer we can't refuse.

9. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Reports that Sonics guard Ray Allen could be traded at season's end was news to the four-time All-Star.

"That would be crazy," Allen said. "That's nothing I'd be worried about."

The Dallas Morning News reported that the NBA's general managers thought the Sonics would trade Allen because, according to the report, the Sonics don't think they can sign him to an extension, and the organization wants something in return.

Allen, 28, was acquired in a trade involving Gary Payton last February. Allen, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard, leads the Sonics in scoring (22.5), is second in assists (5.3) and third in rebounds (5.2).

Allen is signed through the 2004-05 season, making $13.5 million this season and $14.6 million next season. He said he hasn't had any discussions with Sonics general manager Rick Sund about extending his contract since the summer and won't until the end of this season.

"My concern was Brent (Barry) and getting his contract done," Allen said.

Allen said a five-year contract would be ideal. His current contract is a six-year deal. </div>

<font size="1">Full Story courtesy of the Seattle Times.</font>

10. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Allen said he has actually had some doubts about whether he wants to sign an extension or test free agency, given the difficult season the Sonics have had.

"There have been question marks," he said. "With them not signing Brent (Barry), that is disappointing right now. If the team doesn't get better, if we are not trying to win a championship, then it will make it tougher for me to say I want to sign a contract. That's why I can wait till the summer to see how everything formulates and is decided. It will be on the organization, what they move toward and how they sign players."

Still, he said, he will have discussions about an extension, with the intention of signing. If he does not have an extension by training camp in October, it will be a sign, he said, that he is unhappy with some facet of the talks.

"It might be money," Allen said. "It might be small little contract nuances that might take place. It might be the team, the direction. I don't think it will be one thing, but when the time comes, I might say I want to test free agency. It might be one straw that breaks the camel's back, but it will have to be a collection of things that will make me not want to be here the next five or six years."

In the end, Allen said, he prefers to re-sign with the Sonics, primarily because he is content in Seattle, the second city he has played in.

"I've put together a home that I am comfortable in," Allen said. "I am starting to really establish myself. I definitely don't want to have to pick up.</div>

<font size="1">Full Story courtesy of the Tacoma Tribune.</font>

11. Erin

Erin JBB JustBBall Member

Who could you get in return?

12. TMac_OwNz

TMac_OwNz JBB JustBBall Member

Tracy Mcgrady , that's if you add Lewis and another guy in the trade. That will be a trade next season (if things go wrong for the Magic during the off-season.)

13. RiverspoonJones

RiverspoonJones JBB Sonic Death Monkey

Ray Allen is Tracy McGrady minus the issues... not Ray Allen + Rashard Lewis + another guy. Sund would laugh in the face of Gabriel if that trade was offered.

14. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting RiverspoonJones:</div><div class="quote_post">Ray Allen is Tracy McGrady minus the issues... not Ray Allen + Rashard Lewis + another guy. Sund would laugh in the face of Gabriel if that trade was offered.</div>

Huh??? I don't think so bub. Lets start with the fact that Tracy Mcgrady is 4 inches taller then Allen. Then lets add the fact that he plays better defence than Allen. Then lets say that Tracy Mcgrady is more athletic than Allen. Tracy can handle the ball better than Allen. Allen can shoot better than Tracy though, and he is more of a team player.

Ray Allen and Tracy Mcgrady are like apples and oranges.

BTW....that trade is the most awful thing I have ever seen in my life. Allen and Lewis for Mcgrady? I think some Orlando fans are getting waaaay ahead of themselves

15. TMac_OwNz

lol I was just trying to think of a trade , I was in a rush and I came up with that but Ray Allen = T-Mac? lol your kidding right?

16. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

I don't believe what I'm hearing

To get Mcgrady, Sonics would need to offer Allen AND Lewis? :lol terrible deal for Seattle.

Sonics problem lies in the frontcourt, not in the backcourt. Trading Lewis might be a good idea for a power forward who plays downlow but you don't add in Allen.

17. TMac_OwNz

Yeah well this trade is about Allen being dealt. If I was you guys I'll get Juwan Howard for Lewis and a PG or draft pick or cash or something.

18. ANiMuS

ANiMuS JBB JustBBall Member

Screw Juwan. You guys can keep him [​IMG]

19. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TMac_OwNz:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah well this trade is about Allen being dealt. If I was you guys I'll get Juwan Howard for Lewis and a PG or draft pick or cash or something.</div>

Why would Seattle trade talent for has-been trash?

20. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

That sounds like something Scott Layden would propose