Allen vs McMillan

Discussion in 'Oklahoma City Thunder' started by Sir Desmond, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">No Sonic is more beloved in Seattle than Nate McMillian. Been that way for almost 20 years, the last four as head coach. Which largely explains management's logic for trying to extend his contract. That many previous and present players don't consider McMillian to be plausibly competent apparently is irrelevant to the decision makers. It's safe to assume if McMillian remains a Seattle fixture, Ray Allen won't re-sign, submits a Sonic subject.</div>

<font size="1">From HoopsHype Rumours courtesy of Peter Vecsey and the New York Times.</font>

Just a little snippet I came across in the NY Times, which brings up too very interesting issues. Is the situation between star player anc coach really that bad, and does Nate really have that little respect around the league?

2. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

I think that initially Nate was too much of a player's coach, and I dont mean that as a compliment. There is no reason why a team with Ray Allen, Brent Barry, Rashard Lewis, and Flip Murray should finish as poorly as they did. Especially when they have made the playoffs in the past with GP as the only difference.

I love the irony that Ray played all those years for an overpaid moron like Karl and didn't complain......but is now (rumored to be) complaining about Nate. If you think about all the coaches that have been fired (namely Byron Scott), it's a wonder than Mcmillian still has his job. However in an era where coaches have been fired for much less that losing games, I think Nate's job security shows that he is respected, at least by the Sonics management.

3. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Nate coaches one way, the players play another.

Something would inevitably have to give, and it usually is the coach, sadly. Would love to see Nate coaching a squad who were prepared to play defense and do the dirty work that he was renowned for.

4. Mr. Sonic

Mr. Sonic JBB JustBBall Member

To me, part of the blame is needs to be put on management, they haven't made the commitment to bring in players that fit the style that Nate wants to play. I think Nate is good coach but needs his type players to succeed(as does any coach) and right now he doesn't have that. Nate wants to play one way and the players want to play another. I've always been of the belief that the coach is the boss and you should do what he says, but in todays NBA the players are bigger than the Boss, which is way these player, coach confrontations have become increasingly common.

It should be interesting to see how this unfolds in the coming months.