alright boys, draft time....whats your poison this year?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by upsidedownside7, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting YayAreaFanatic:</div><div class="quote_post">Wow, its been way too long since I've been on the board...

I got back from the Giants game last night and saw that the lottery had taken place... man I haven't followed anything Warriors related since the end of March...

But I'm back, and as a Warrior fan, our only exciting time of the year is the draft lottery and the months leading up to the draft.

After reading through these posts it seems that a big man is still on the top of the chart in terms of team needs. My hope is that Mullin can actually pull off a trade and dump this years pick into a package that rids the W's of a hefty contract while also bringing in a proven player. I don't want to make any trade predicitons, we'll save that for another thread, but it doesn't seem that there is a player at 9 that can make an immediate impact. The W's are already young and the losing "tradition" is already permeating the roster.

If anything, on draft day, I'd welcome the loss of a player
    (FOYLE) rather than the drafting of a player. Addition by subtraction. Mullin has enough young talent to mold, and there isn't any player at 9 that will have any impact on the team.</div>
    Yeah... I feel like Foyle has to go, but then Murphy's deficiences will be even more highly exposed because what other big guy can fill in the shotblock threat on the weakside without picking up a dozen fouls? We could go for the rookie Taft, but is he healthy? Actually... wait... I think Foyle is that bad and he doesn't solve our poor D anyway so who cares. Plus, I want to see what a healthy Taft can do. He seems like a hungry Erick Dampier skillset with good hands and great strength/athleticism combo. As bad as I hated stone-hands/tin man we really looked like a better team in 2003 because he came out to play and we had a pure point guard and some solid vets who could close. Plus, Murphy is pretty much gone anyway because of Ike. If we put Ike in as power forward and Murphy as center it's essentially the same as the lineup where we put in Ike as center with Murphy as power forward. Guys just aren't afraid to go at them with the ball once they get passed our matador-like perimeter D. I like Ike as our only decent power forward prospect on paper, but we need one helluva center to enforce the paint like all good defensive teams have. Murphy ain't it.

If we have an all-offensive type team, we better hope we have enough playmakers to get something started. Something like V.C./Jason Kidd or Nash/Joe Johnson or Nash/Diaw and plenty of other scorers like at the small forward position and at least one big position scoring inside the paint.

2. YayAreaFanatic

YayAreaFanatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah... I feel like Foyle has to go, but then Murphy's deficiences will be even more highly exposed because what other big guy can fill in the shotblock threat on the weakside without picking up a dozen fouls? We could go for the rookie Taft, but is he healthy? Actually... wait... I think Foyle is that bad and he doesn't solve our poor D anyway so who cares. Plus, I want to see what a healthy Taft can do. He seems like a hungry Erick Dampier skillset with good hands and great strength/athleticism combo. As bad as I hated stone-hands/tin man we really looked like a better team in 2003 because he came out to play and we had a pure point guard and some solid vets who could close. Plus, Murphy is pretty much gone anyway because of Ike. If we put Ike in as power forward and Murphy as center it's essentially the same as the lineup where we put in Ike as center with Murphy as power forward. Guys just aren't afraid to go at them with the ball once they get passed our matador-like perimeter D. I like Ike as our only decent power forward prospect on paper, but we need one helluva center to enforce the paint like all good defensive teams have. Murphy ain't it.

If we have an all-offensive type team, we better hope we have enough playmakers to get something started. Something like V.C./Jason Kidd or Nash/Joe Johnson or Nash/Diaw and plenty of other scorers like at the small forward position and at least one big position scoring inside the paint.</div>

My problem with Foyle is that he represents all that went wrong with the W's during the mid 90's. Plus, I never believed for once that he could be an effective starting center in the League. He's a bit undersized, and never quite possessed the quickness or explosiveness that smaller centers need to have.

The lack of an inside defensive presence can be disguised if the perimeter players were able to keep their men from key. A swarming perimeter D will definitely allow whoever is in the middle to recover and make a defensive play. Foyle has had his share of stops at the rim, but its almost been like the W's are expecting their centers to play goalie, making last minute saves.

3. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting YayAreaFanatic:</div><div class="quote_post">My problem with Foyle is that he represents all that went wrong with the W's during the mid 90's. Plus, I never believed for once that he could be an effective starting center in the League. He's a bit undersized, and never quite possessed the quickness or explosiveness that smaller centers need to have.

The lack of an inside defensive presence can be disguised if the perimeter players were able to keep their men from key. A swarming perimeter D will definitely allow whoever is in the middle to recover and make a defensive play. Foyle has had his share of stops at the rim, but its almost been like the W's are expecting their centers to play goalie, making last minute saves.</div>
    He's symbolic in some good ways and bad. Good is he's always been a good sport on-off the court even though he's been through every single losing season of his career spent with the Warriors. Bad is he's not really helping us be a better team in the ways we need it. Especially, when we lose by three points or less and he's bobbled or dropped passes or rebounds a few times or missed wide open dunks... Man... Three letters: WTF? That's as bad as missing free throws, which we do. And the guys I loathe at times, like Fisher/Murphy, are our best.

I agree we need a better defensive starting five so they can play man-to-man D (which relies on less help from others) and abandon this awful zone defense scheme. Now I read the background on Monty before he came into coaching for us and he hates zone and he never really used it in college. But the way I see it is what other choice do we have when Dunleavy or Richardson get absolutely owned trying to stay in front of other swing matchups?

The Warriors need help defense from each other because they simply aren't that good on their own. The simplest of plays can be run to expose the Warriors inside or outside by simple basket cuts or plays to get Foyle or Murphy on the switch with one of Dunleavy, Baron, Jrich left to guard the weakside where tall guys can pull up for the midrange shot or go all the way to the rack for a dunk or layup or to the foul line. How many plays were there when Foyle had to come out to the perimeter and contest a shot all the way from the paint, or a smaller player was left guarding inside, or Dunleavy had to come out and contest some guy's jumper and it was too little, too late? These guys just don't rotate/react fast enough. Plus, it's not like zone defense is that much more effective against dribble penetration because a zone can be attacked and there are pockets on the floor which players can shoot uncontested from and even collect their own miss if they wanted to.

Good one-on-one players that can pass, shoot will kill any zone/man-to-man D because they get defenses moving in a way that causes one of their teammates to get freed up for an open shot. We just don't guard well against that sort of attack. Plus on offense, we don't attack in that triple-threat sort of way unless defenses aren't getting back in transition or we've got Baron + other ballhandling, shooting threats. But... Pietrus, Zarko, Dunleavy weren't on this year when the season mattered. Jrich's offense is not really to be a triple threat type of guy. He's more like how Rip Hamilton is used off the ball (but with less reliable midrange game) and he's a bit like Michael Finley or Vince Carter in the open court (but not in terms of consistent one-on-one skills in the halfcourt).

4. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Adonal Foyle is my favoirte person in the NBA but my least favorite player

5. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting REREM:</div><div class="quote_post">Evidently we saw differsnt games. When I saw Shawne Williams I didn't see anything to build on,just a semi big kid on cruise control with not enough skill or effort.</div>
    I can understand why you'd think that. He did look lost in some games and when he looked lost he was pretty bad but in games when he was active he looked very promising and versatile. It seems like there's alot of varying opinions on him, some think hes a lotto prospect, some think late 1st round, others think second round.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    I am a bit held back on Sheldon Williams because he has grade a C skills but is 6-9. He could easily play PF but I really do like Ike and Murphy. Then I think,hey we need D,we need boards,we need a post scorer. screw Magliore (temp+gone) Sheldon will contribute,let 'em sort it out by producing..more talent is...more talent.
    If you compare the real- WHAT IS- Sheldon is the big guy who gets it done. My guess is Houston grabs him and ships Swift to some suckers. We wind up with O'Bryant cause we can't get very comfortable with the inconsistant sf's on the board. O'Bryant is Biedrens young,seems motivated and mobile and C is where a pretty good player can add a lot.

Too bad the season's done. i wish everyone got a good look at CRAIG SMITH-Boston College and Eric Hicks U Cinn. both are/were undersize PF's who simply were more "impact" than guys like Gay,yet can be had rd 2. Is it hard to trim 10 lbs of Smith or Hicks to have a TOUGH guy at SF? Don't think so. I think its MUCH tougher to get in the head of an underachiever or a 3 pt chucker,or a weak D guy,or a soft player. Give me an overachiever-tough guy with a team attitude...especially at a discount price tag.</div>
    I like that Shelden brings a wide variety of skills but I'm not sure that any of those skills will be good enough for him to take a starting job from someone. I'd love to get him if we already had a good starting frontline because you can ask him to do anything you'd want a big man to do and he can help a little in that area. Hes a decent scorer, good defender, good shot blocker but none of those areas really stand out over, say, Ike's offensive game. Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I think Taft can and will be just as good a player at the NBA level because he is more athletic with similar skills.

I haven't seen much of Craig Smith but he sounds very much like Leon Powe, Smith's stats weren't as good but he played on a better team in a tougher conference. I do like Eric Hicks though, like you said hes an over acheiver-tough guy, was an amazing rebounder and overall dirty work type of guy with Cincinnati. At 6'6 in shoes he'd have to become a SF but if he does measure out at 6'7 I think he could become a poor man's Ben Wallace because of his athleticism, mean streak, and will to succeed.

6. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

You should check out Craig Smith's numbers on CBS sportsline where you can see ststs on each game. Smith played 3 games in 3 nights vs Maryland-NC-Duke in the ACC tournament,averaged something like 21-11-5 assists. That's a tough set of games,a lot on the line,and this guy steps up. For a burly F,a real smart passer.

Hicks had 7 shotblocks vs U Conn..a tall team full of draft prospects,got 10 blocks vs Marquette and brings that no prisoners style. We do not need marshmellows,airheads or some guy who MIGHT be functional if he ever cares enough to get sweaty.

I'm still thinking we trade down,with late #1's,rd 2 bargains as well as we dump a salary or 2. If we stay at 9 O' Bryant or Sheldon will be the likely picks. I'm thinking Houston is interested in Sheldon at 8,which means the odds really favor O' Bryant now.

Aside from a trade down/Foyle dump,maybe some minor Fish swap,I'm doubting we have a major trade. Our ideal scenario is we start the year with a new coach,fresh spark,and by trade deadline we have guys teams are making real nice offers to get.

7. Run BJM

I wouldn't mind trading down either because there are alot of prospects in late rd. 1 that I like as much or more than alot of the lotto prospects. I'd love to trade down to New Jersey's 22 and 23 picks. Then we could pick up two of Jordan Farmar, Shawne Williams, Shannon Brown, Kyle Lowry, Maurice Ager, Saer Sene, etc. I know we have plenty of young talent already but I'd rather have two of these guys than one Patrick O'Bryant or Shelden Williams. Even if we dump a contract and just get one lower pick I think we'd be making a good trade because theres little difference in talent level from the 6th pick to the 30th pick.

8. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

all right i have it all figured out...call mully and let him know the plan :

trade fisher, murphy, pietrus and foyle to orlando for

grant hill and turkgulu....

the numbers work out financially.....

what would that leave us with :

c biedrins, taft
    pf ike carbarkapa
    sf dunleavy, turkgulu
    sg, j-rich, ellis
    pb davis, bynum

then we can draft a pf with our 2nd pick

and maybe we dont even need to send our 1st round pick as they have vazquez and the 11th pick joining them.

the team already looks better.... and with the 2007 class of free agents supposed to be the best in years..... wow....

so i have the game plan...

A. orlando accepts this trade....sans 9th pick
    B. we draft Splitter and let him develope one more year over seas.
    C. we go with this roster plus a few scrubs we pick up cheap
    D. we have the worst record in the league next season.
    E. win the lottery
    f. draft greg ogden.
    g. we would have about 26 million under the cap to spend on free agents
    h . 2007 we go from worst to first

if it were only that simple

9. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting boogielew:</div><div class="quote_post">all right i have it all figured out...call mully and let him know the plan :

c biedrins, taft
    pf ike carbarkapa
    sf dunleavy, turkgulu
    sg, j-rich, ellis
    pb davis, bynum

and maybe we dont even need to send our 1st round pick as they have vazquez and the 11th pick joining them.

the team already looks better.... and with the 2007 class of free agents supposed to be the best in years..... wow....

E. win the lottery
    f. draft greg ogden.

if it were only that simple</div>

Brilliant

10. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting boogielew:</div><div class="quote_post">all right i have it all figured out...call mully and let him know the plan :

c biedrins, taft
    pf ike carbarkapa
    sf dunleavy, turkgulu
    sg, j-rich, ellis
    pb davis, bynum

E. win the lottery
    f. draft greg ogden.

if it were only that simple</div>
    I like it because I think Splitter is a nice prospect where we would be picking. But I don't like it because I don't trust Mullin with all that cap money and I don't think the Warriors were ever that lucky in landing the top pick in a draft even though we deserved it more. They should factor in a team's inability to make the playoffs for over a decade and give us more lottery ping pong balls so we are almost guaranteed the higher pick. But then again... we'd still lose knowing our luck.

Somehow, I feel like Orlando wouldn't do this trade because Hill is coming off the books anyway or he'll retire due to health. There's no reason to take on half of Mullins dumb signings...

It also might pose a logjam at center and power forward since Darko and Dwight Howard can play either position because of their shooting range and some ballhandling. Howard would probably be the center. That would make Murphy and Foyle expensive backups. They also have Tony Battie for four years and a bunch of other scoring guards. Pietrus might be a nice throw-in for them since their starting shooting guard is Deshawn Stevenson with backup Keyon Dooling. I think Jameer Nelson and Carlos Arroyo are still better point guards than Fish (maybe because they are real pure point guards that can score in the nba?).

I guess the upgrade with Fisher is that he's got a better attitude than Arroyo and he can shoot the deep ball unlike Arroyo and some of the other guys like Dooling.

Murphy would be a nice backup or starter if Darko goes into disappointing mode again. The Magic would have plenty of backup centers especially with Foyle added...

11. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Somehow, I feel like Orlando wouldn't do this trade because Hill is coming off the books anyway or he'll retire due to health. There's no reason to take on half of Mullins dumb signings...</div>

1 word... Twardzik. Anything is possible

12. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CohanHater:</div><div class="quote_post">1 word... Twardzik. Anything is possible</div>

I thought the news reported that Twardzick wasn't a co-GM anymore. He's a talent evalualtor a.k.a. assistant general manager (lol just as bad).

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/Magic_Promot...177978-800.html

I guess if Twardzick is giving Smith bad advice and Smith doesn't know any better, we could swing a lopsided deal in our favor if we ever do business with the Magic.

13. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">I thought the news reported that Twardzick wasn't a co-GM anymore. He's a talent evalualtor a.k.a. assistant general manager (lol just as bad).

http://www.nba.com/magic/news/Magic_Promot...177978-800.html

I guess if Twardzick is giving Smith bad advice and Smith doesn't know any better, we could swing a lopsided deal in our favor if we ever do business with the Magic.</div>

I want Milicic!

14. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    I really think Mullin is trying to move up since there probably is a diamond in the rough in the top 5. LaMarcus Aldridge seems to be the complete big man even though he didn't fare well against Tyrus Thomas and LSU and had some poor shooting games. Still, I think the Raptors will have take Aldridge at #1 with a decent workout by him and if the Raps don't trade down.

The next guy I like is Tyrus Thomas. He'll bring aggressiveness to the Warriors front line along with his top drawer defense and rebounding. His athleticism is off the charts and he makes spectacular plays. But can Thomas put up some offense to match his defense? He looks like a good pick and roll man and guy who can score when he gets passes inside. Another question mark is Thomas' size. He may be shorter and more like a Shawn Marion when all is said and done. OTOH he may still be growing. We'll have to see how he measures out. We already got Ike at PF, so there will be some duplication there.

Another guy who's good for the Warriors is Rudy Gay because he can score. Boy can he ever score. He's electrifying and can score many different ways. He'll give Baron someone in the front court he can pass to and thus cut down on the number of 3s the Warriors launch. He can eventually be our starting SF for years to come. The only question I have about Gay is how's his defense?

At #9, I like Cedric Simmons now. He's a slender PF-C in the Stromile Swift mold, but he can do a lot more inside, is more mobile and more athletic. He seems to have more range than a Patrick O'Bryant who primarily dunks and has close range shots. I'm not sure POB will be able to work that close on a regular basis in the NBA. Like Michael Olowakandi, he towers over his opposition in the college game. His game looks similar to the Kandiman, too.

Shelden Williams would be another possibility because he looks like he can step in and play. I read about his workout in Boston and he got good marks. Again, like Thomas, there will be some duplication with picking him, but if these guys can be solid role players, then they'll be able to contribute and open up some trade possibilities. Of course, Monty may go with the vets again in trying to win games and keep his job, so a role player rookie may not get the minutes he deserves.

15. Custodianrules2

Thomas, Morrison, Gay are all supposed to be very good passers. How about any of those guys? I think Roy and Brewer are supposed to be pretty decent as well. I think it's imperative we pick a guy who can not only be a phenomenal to above average all-around scorer, but knows where to look for others instinctively and also defend well. Morrison may not be a great defender, but I liked what he's shown as a slower guy playing against better athletes that can defend at the collegiate level. He'd be way better than Dun that's for sure because he does almost everything a lot better on a less talented team including a vocal leadership role. He's a lot more competitive and has star-like qualities although he may not be a star at the nba level (but he's a rare finesse type player with the kind of shots he gets off).

I just don't think there's any good big men prospects at center in this draft... and if I'm wrong then I'm wrong. Splitter isn't declaring and I'm really iffy about Patrick O'Bryant (he gets a lot of hype for being a late bloomer) or Lamarcus Aldrige (plays like a PF) or Bargnani (same). Thomas is an interesting player because some feel he might even develop some small forward skills later on, but that's way too soon since his range or ballhandling isn't there yet... I'm not very sold on Carney because of watching him play (he leaves you with this feeling of why can't this guy be any better despite all this athleticism and he often plays a really risky, low % style of ball. I smell another Pietrus which is a good and bad thing. Carney is definitely more right hand dependent than Pietrus). We need a different player.

If we can't get a solid skills + potential guy, I'd hope we'd trade down a bit and get a role palyer or trade the pick entirely. Sheldon Williams, Cedric Simmons, Ronnie Brewer, Shawne Williams, or how about even Rudy Fernandez for later picks.

If we can't get at least Aldridge, Rudy Gay, Tyrus Thomas, or Patrick O'Bryant, I hope we go for at least somebody like Brewer or somebody that's been on the international radar for years like Rudy Fernandez.

16. Run BJM

The rumors about Thomas possibly moving to the 3 are indeed true and I actually heard an interview with him on Jim Rome's TV show where he said he could become a 3 but he's not sure what it is as of now. Supposedly his outside shooting is looking pretty nice now (he hit 15/25 from 3 in Toronto a few days ago) but his handle will still be lacking for a 3. I like his skills mut I'm just not convinced that he'll be that much more special than Josh Smith or Kenyon Martin with a jumpshot. He's extremely light at around 220-225, which is around J-Rich or Baron's weight, he really doesn't have very good skills inside the paint and he'll get outmuscled in the post. I'm sure he can become something great but it's rare that you see a undersized, lightweight PF with few offensive skills turn into a star in the NBA. The closest thing I can think of is K-Mart in NJ and we all know how he's doing now. I'd still love to get the kid because whether he's a 3 or 4 he would help us alot with shotblocking and I love his intensity but if we did trade up I'd rather get Aldridge.

At 9 I think we've still got some good options we just need to be willing to take the high potential guy. POB or Cedric Simmons both have potential, it sounds like Simmons is soaring up the draft boards because of his athleticism, freakish wingspan and suprisingly good jumpshot. If he does measure out at 6'10 he can be a Theo Ratliff type of player with a Marcus Camby-esque jumpshot. I also like the fact that he's quick enough to guard perimiter bigs but still athletic enough to guard post players. Only downsides to him are that he really didn't do anything in college, though most attribute that to the system he played in that didn't give him many oportunities. He's also another light-wieght guy who I read wants to get up to about 240lbs.

O'Bryant really hasn't done much to improve or decrease his stock. He's athletic, has good touch around the rim, good wingspan, already weighs 260 and can add another 20 lbs. easily. Work ethic and intensity issues could be an problem. I would trust Mullin if we took him but I can also see why alot of teams could stay away.

Ronnie Brewer is a guy who's moving up. He's long been my pick for the best fit for our team in the draft. He's 6'7 with a 6'11 wingspan, extremely smart, athleticism isn't out of this world but according to draftexpress he "knows how to use it better than anyone else in the draft". Supposedly he's been playing great defense in workouts, penetrating at will, scoring from everywhere (including long range where people have doubted him) and he's shown off his excellent ball-handling and passing skills. He'd be a great fit as our defensive wing player who makes up for J-Rich's lack of 2 guard skills while playing the 3. Should we blow the team up i nthe next few seasons he's also a perfect fit with Monta because Brewer can run the point better but defensively Brewer can guard the 2's and monta can guard the 1's.

I'm still strongly against drafting Carney. Over half of his feild goals last season were 3 point shots and he's still very raw. He's the second coming of Pietrus, the guy has great potential but I don't think he has the focus to be a star in the league. He got absolutely smoked by Adam Morrison when Memphis and Gonzaga played until the 4th quarter when Shawne wiliams started covering him. My comparison for carney would be Morris Peterson; nice scorer, good shooter but nothing special.

17. Custodianrules2

Run, you like Simmons? I saw the guy and wasn't too impressed because the guy never used his left hand or scored on the left side of the post. The same can be said with O'Bryant who has a less than stellar motor and was one of the biggest guys in his conference. Both those guys are raw and all potential which is why I think they'll have a chance to fall lower than the big guys that are more polished and can produce results more immediately. It's a toss in the air with how raw bigs will develop over the years because they may not be Dwight Howard or a Jermaine O'neil type guys to begin with. O'Bryant seems attractive only because of his size and the fact he's done a lot of work to even get noticed. Will he disappear or become unmotivated once he gets nba money? I defintely get that feeling, but I would kill for a Dampier like player right now over Foyle or Murphy at center.

Come to think of it the only guy on paper I really like who isn't an ideal center is Sheldon Williams. Strong, very long arms, great shotblocker with either hand, gets up and down okay, can score from either side of the post, probably not as mechanical as O'bryant or Williams due to better footwork. Williams is also a better passer who has good floor awareness (I don't know about creativity though). In fact I'm trying to imagine a Diogu/Williams frontline. Very undersized, but can throw their weight around and block shots and play bigger than they are. If Emeka Okafor is playing center at 6'9 or 6'10 and Ben Wallace is only 6'9 playing center sometimes, then I can entertain Sheldon Williams playing center for us. Even if it's different conferences, it's not like Foyle would suddenly dominate in the Eastern conference. Talent is talent. Foyle couldn't dominate the WNBA because he doesn't have the hands to catch anything (not even a cold) and he's not mean enough to own the paint and not crafty enough to outwit stronger or more athletic opponents.

18. Custodianrules2

Argg, I hate this. Drafting Sheldon Williams would be drafting for need and its not something the Warriors should do especially when the guy might not be a center or a power forward because of the in-between game or size presence not being there. Maybe a swingman like Ronnie Brewer is in order like you suggested, Run.

Brewer is quite the athlete, improved from 3-point land, and can do a lot of things on defense and a lot of things on offense. He's got a little bit of Ginobilli/D-wade in his game, I heard, but plays a bit like Marquis Daniels or Andre Igoudala. Is athletic, can defend, can shoot a little (although ugly shot), can play 3 positions, might be worth checking out. The big question is should he really be drafted at #9? Seems a bit high for that particular player, but if he's really a projected #11 or #12 player, #9 doesn't seem that far off the mark.

If we take Patrick O'Bryant be prepared to see something like what Biedrins is showing except not as athletic as Biedrins. Biedrins is pretty darn athletic when he shows it, but O'Bryant starts out with a bigger frame, long arms as Biedrins, more weight to play a real center. Biedrins could just be a big power forward like Marcus Camby without the 18 foot jumper or Tyson Chandler how he currently is (Jermaine O'neil is also a good example of a PF that plays like a center). O'Bryant could actually be a real pure center closer to somebody like Shaq maybe (but not Shaq because nobody is like Shaq and probably won't be for a long long time).

And Run, I'm also against drafting Carney. Poor free throw shooting, low fg % guy is not what we need. Especially one that can't pass, dribble and make others better. We've already got Pietrus and I think Pietrus is probably better or similar to him. Pietrus definitely looks like he's got a better and quicker shot release. As far as length goes, Carney and Pietrus could be about the same in height and wingspan, although if Jrich was taller I'd put him at the three since he's the team's most advanced and all around scorer who can chase down his own miss.

Sometimes I think drafting would be like picking the winners in the NCAA brackets. Sometimes you gotta go with a personal hunch rather than what everyone else says or thinks. Otherwise you get somebody like George Mason suprising everybody and a lot of people lose and miss out. I just pray that the Warriors hunch won't lead up to Joe Smith, Todd Fuller, or Adonal Foyle. We want a good balance between ready right now and lots of ceiling to get better in the future. When it comes to big centers, I say go with the risk because big men take a while to develop anyway. Rather than another 6'9 or 6'10 guy, I say go with the long as heck 7 footer that's still filling out and is athletic and shows some nice basic skills.

19. Run BJM

I only saw Simmons play once against Cal in the first round of the NCAA tourney and I'm not very high on him but he's got alot of the tools you'd want in a big man. It's safe to say he'll never be much of a scorer but supposedly he's extremely athletic and has a great motor. He's got a freakish wingspan too and good defensive feel and timing. He wouldn't be a bad pick but if we're going to take a risk on a big man I'd rather take POB who is more likely to become a good scoring option and has actually proven he can produce in the NCAA tournament.

Shelden Williams is another guy who would be a good pick but IMO wouldnt be much of a difference maker for our franchise. Again, I'd rather take the risk on a big athletic 4/5 who has some potential to be a franchise big than get another guy who will either be a role player, reserve, or maybe above average starter. Might as well go all or nothing with an O'Bryant type since we already have alot of good but not great bigs.

I would love to get Brewer, like I've been saying since April or so he'd be a great fit on our team and it's a bonus that he's shaping up to be a great athlete. He probably won't be a star in the NBA but he'll give you anything you would ask for in a swingman. Hes got Pietrus's penetrating ability, athleticism, and defense and Dunleavy's "bball IQ", ball-handling and passing skills and he's got a jumpshot that probably can't be much worse than either of theirs. He could immediately provide the penetration, free throw shooting, and ball movement that our team lacks.

O'Bryant is a risky pick but there's no other big men at 9 who are going to make a huge impact on the franchise. He's a comparable prospect to Andrew Bynum but he's actually shown he can play against good competition. If he fulfills his potential and becomes a 20 and 10 center then it's a great pick, if hes just a 10 and 10 player he still helps the team alot, if he's a bust then that sucks but no one else at 9 would have probably made a huge difference anyway. He's got a good touch around the rim and a very large wigspan. He's not as athletic as Biedrins but he's still very athletic for a wide-bodied 19 year old 7 footer.

Whoever Mullin takes should tell us about what his plans are for the future. If he takes a POB or Simmons then he's probably not satisfied with our current big men and he's desperately trying to find that franchise big. If he goes with a swingman then Pietrus is more than likely on his way out and possibly Dunleavy is falling out of favor.

20. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">I only saw Simmons play once against Cal in the first round of the NCAA tourney and I'm not very high on him but he's got alot of the tools you'd want in a big man. It's safe to say he'll never be much of a scorer but supposedly he's extremely athletic and has a great motor. He's got a freakish wingspan too and good defensive feel and timing. He wouldn't be a bad pick but if we're going to take a risk on a big man I'd rather take POB who is more likely to become a good scoring option and has actually proven he can produce in the NCAA tournament.

Shelden Williams is another guy who would be a good pick but IMO wouldnt be much of a difference maker for our franchise. Again, I'd rather take the risk on a big athletic 4/5 who has some potential to be a franchise big than get another guy who will either be a role player, reserve, or maybe above average starter. Might as well go all or nothing with an O'Bryant type since we already have alot of good but not great bigs.

I would love to get Brewer, like I've been saying since April or so he'd be a great fit on our team and it's a bonus that he's shaping up to be a great athlete. He probably won't be a star in the NBA but he'll give you anything you would ask for in a swingman. Hes got Pietrus's penetrating ability, athleticism, and defense and Dunleavy's "bball IQ", ball-handling and passing skills and he's got a jumpshot that probably can't be much worse than either of theirs. He could immediately provide the penetration, free throw shooting, and ball movement that our team lacks.

O'Bryant is a risky pick but there's no other big men at 9 who are going to make a huge impact on the franchise. He's a comparable prospect to Andrew Bynum but he's actually shown he can play against good competition. If he fulfills his potential and becomes a 20 and 10 center then it's a great pick, if hes just a 10 and 10 player he still helps the team alot, if he's a bust then that sucks but no one else at 9 would have probably made a huge difference anyway. He's got a good touch around the rim and a very large wigspan. He's not as athletic as Biedrins but he's still very athletic for a wide-bodied 19 year old 7 footer.

Whoever Mullin takes should tell us about what his plans are for the future. If he takes a POB or Simmons then he's probably not satisfied with our current big men and he's desperately trying to find that franchise big. If he goes with a swingman then Pietrus is more than likely on his way out and possibly Dunleavy is falling out of favor.</div>
    I pretty much agree with that strategy of this draft and our need to upgrade Foyle, find support for Biedrins and find a better answer at small forward or possibly guard. We definitely don't want a role player and we definitely don't want a project... It's pretty hard to figure out who that is in this draft. It's funny because most sites have us picking either of O'Bryant/Carney/or Brewer, picks I'd definitely welcome if we're keeping this pick. I'd opt for Brewer or O'bryant, but not so much Carney because we don't need a college senior, second coming of Quentin Richardson or Mickael Pietrus.

In '03 Dunleavy and Pietrus weren't that much of a problem. Actually, I had a problem with Dunleavy always getting burnt or flopping until we switched to zone, but his %'s and passing ability were at least there. Pietrus did pretty well as a supersub against big point guards or fast shooting guards and he challenged Jrich to become a better individual defender. We had a stronger presence in Erick Dampier guarding the middle + cleaning up and Clif Robinson providing the post defense and passing the ball in/out and shooting it. Dampier wasn't a good scorer, but he cleaned up the glass and he at least bothered to post up on the block so he could score or throw it back out. We get none of this style of play from either Murphy or Foyle, so I think the state of the roster has more to do with what we lack at PF and center from the '03 season. We also had pure point guards and could more or less rely on the PF or C to do their thing inside or outside and not be such a disruptor to the offense.

But if that type of center or power forward isn't there (let's hope either Simmons or O'Bryant can be that center because I can't entertain the idea of a 6'8 or 6'9 center not athletic as Ben Wallace or Emeka Okafor trying to play bigger or outhustling guys), then its got to be a swingman that fits in as a small forward on both ends of the floor or just trade the pick for a future pick or trade up. I'm not sure with what we can trade up with since I want to keep Pietrus, Diogu, Ellis, Richardson and nobody wants the crap we signed in '04. I say keep Pietrus for now, unless its for a guy like Rudy Gay or Brandon Roy, because Pietrus is a monster in the open court and there will be times when you need a guy like him. The same could be said with Dunleavy or Zarko at a variety of positions. But Murphy or Foyle, those guys only play a few ways with the number of dimensions they have. I'm not saying this just because they start and the grass seems greener on the other side with unknown and unproven rookies looming on the bench. I just think Murphy and Foyle are slightly to blame with why guards go one-on-one and don't pass and why we land in so much foul trouble. Those guys are blackholes and are unreliable at certain aspects of the game. Both of them. It's so hard to cover up! I'll take another Dunleavy bad year if it means we can improve those two positions, because small forward is more or less easier to fill than if the right power forward or center comes along.

So far we got Diogu and Taft at PF and I'm hoping Biedrins or some good center prospect comes along. If its not there, hopefully we get a guy that can provide a little more presence than what we've got now from a trade. I want the center to be the biggest, most intimidating motherf-er on the floor so the opposing guards know to stay the f out and shoot jumpers instead. If we need defense I'm hoping Monta Ellis or Mickael Pietrus can be very reliable in these perimeter D situations. Dunleavy and Richardson are also getting to be decent these days as perimeter defenders, but I wouldn't trust them guarding one-on-one because of their reaction time/quickness. Still, I like the fact both block more shots and make efforts to contest shots or take intentional fouls than Murphy does standing around on defense. Murphy is that bad of a defender and I think Diogu can give us similar rebounding if he's got some help from the center, better scoring, and more ability on defense with better passing/dirtywork as well. Effort is no problem with the Warriors, but ability often is. It just has to complement each other or the whole thing comes tumbling down. It's tough because we have no clear franchise player yet to build upon, unless you want to count low %, oft injured Baron Davis. There's really no direction with this team other than to collect these players who are good individually for the most part, but not great together. We need to start being great together. We'll see if Baron/Jrich/Ellis/Ike is a real core to build around. Was never sold on Murphy and Dunleavy as the core next to Pietrus and Jrich. I mean who do we go inside to and who can create double team pressure?