Alvin Gentry calls Anthony Davis the best player in the NBA not named LeBron James

Discussion in 'New Orleans Pelicans' started by truebluefan, Jun 22, 2015.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

A new era of Pelicans basketball was unveiled on Monday when the franchise formally introduced Alvin Gentry as head coach.

With emerging star power forward Anthony Davis in the fold, Gentry said the Pelicans roster has tremendous potential and he is eager to get started.

''We got the best player in the NBA, not named LeBron James,'' Gentry said. ''But I'm really excited. I look at the roster and I lot of these guys I have a special relationship with.

''Jrue Holiday, we came so close of drafting him, when I was the head coach in Phoenix. Eric Gordon, everyone knows we (Phoenix Suns) offered him a tremendous contract, but he decided to stay here in New Orleans.''

Gentry, 60, was hired on May 30, but he remained with the Golden State as their lead assistant until the NBA Finals were completed last week in which the Warriors won their first NBA championship in 40 years.

He plans to install an up-tempo offense that involves around spacing, ball movement and quick-strike scoring. But Gentry said improving the Pelicans' defensive play is a priority heading into next season.

- See more at: http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2015/06/alvin_gentry.html#incart_2box_sports_index.ssf