Analysis of Olshey moves with Blazers and Clippers

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by UKRAINEFAN, May 25, 2016.

1. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Personally I thought the morning crew and Dan got unfair criticism from some members of this forum. I enjoyed Dans' posts regardless if he had a personally vested interest or not. I didn't say much about it, but it was fairly annoying to see people try to cut him down saying he was here to further his own career or whatever it was people were insinuating... Who gives a shit. IF a post is a good post, its a good post regardless of the OP's intent or thought of personal gain.

HailBlazers likes this.
  2. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

People do what they do. Not saying it's right or wrong, just what it looked like.

As Kevin Hart so eloquently said:

"You do you, boo boo. You do you."

3. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    I think the content portion should be the front page and then go to the forum from there. To have to go find the part that looks the best, takes the most time and dedication and then not have that be the opening page seems to be misappropriated priorities.

We need to get a feel for who would be committed to providing original content, how often per week/month and then how to make it look good on the site. I wrote a piece on the NY Yankees but someone else formatted it, put appropriate pictures with it, highlighted pull quotes and then posted it on their weekend addition. I'm happy to learn how to do that if someone can show me.

4. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

This. If you want quality articles to stand apart from posts, then the site needs a home page where the articles are listed and then a link on the side to the forum or something,. but then...
    People like me would just save the link to the forum and bypass the home page... hmmm....not sure this would work any better for those that just wan the forum and save that link.

Denny Crane likes this.
  5. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    I got tons of feedback that many/most users want forum and nothing but forum. FWIW.

6. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    This.

7. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I'm not privy to the read of any previous article attempts, but oen thing comes to mind that usually dictates/drives the want/need... quality of content.

I could see many people here ( so many smart people that know the numbers of the game) would be interested in articles without having to sift through other peoples' comments about the article(the forum), but I also imagine those people would want quality content and would be turned off quickly if the content falters or stagnates.

8. Strenuus

If quality of content is what drives a place... then they are doing it all wrong now.

9. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Well I was trying to actually be serious for half a moment. but now that half has passed, so I agree with you. :)

10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

A forum is a forum. It is for discussion. Nobody is talking about replacing the forum or creating an alternative for discussion. I feel strongly that RC2 is a great place for quality discussion, but it does not highlight quality content. It's hard to filter out all the nonsense and read the most insightful posts.

I want to create a place to publish quality content for Blazer fans across the internet. Not even necessarily geared specifically to the people on this site. There are a lot of people who are turned off by this forum, and by forums in general. They want nothing to do with S2, which is fine, but they might be interested in a site that's geared towards content and information and analysis. Those people might post on Reddit, or maybe they post on RealGM, or maybe they like to use Twitter and facebook.

RC2 is just one small slice of the Blazers internet picture. I want to try to attract people from all manner of Blazer fandom.

HailBlazers likes this.
  11. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Not trying to play devils advocate, but then wouldnt that be a bit of a conflict or competition to the Blazers home page that updates almost daily with interviews, videos and quality content? Maybe it faded out before because what you are trying to create already exists just on other sites and that would make this one seem redundant?

Trust me, I think overall its a great idea. Im just trying to think of, and work out, the kinks. I know when I have time I would click on some articles that would peak my interest.

12. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

You can't go to the Blazers for unbiased journalism. That's just not realistic. It's entertaining to read Casey's stuff, or MB, but you can't count on them to be 100% honest. They work for the team.

The whole point is that Blazers Edge isn't creating original content anymore, and there simply isn't anything else out there right now to fill that niche.

PtldPlatypus, HailBlazers and TBpup like this.
  13. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Got it. I would just question how much more UNbiased any writer from here would be? The moment an impartial comment is made, that writer is gonna get BLASTED up in the forum, lol.
    Im all for it and if I had more time I would offer to write. When I actually try to write, im fairly decent. Wrote a few articles about the local music scene that made the Merc about a decade ago.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  14. Strenuus

Itd be WAY more unbiased here because we'd allow it. We ain't gonna ban writers. If you write it, prepare to take the heat. Just like a forum post.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  15. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    We can highlight content if we had it. That's the easy part.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Sometimes less is more...I like it the way it is...it's like a pub to me...what I don't want is to come here and have to sift through a guided tour to sit at the bar.

17. Strenuus

"And to the left is...

Oh dear god you guys. Leave Mrs. HCP alone."

18. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Sometimes the pub is too many Cliff Clavin's though. :cheers:

Orion Bailey, BBert and riverman like this.
  19. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Loud.

Noises.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  20. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    It is hard to find unbiased sports journalism anywhere. But I wasn't really reading Blazers Edge that much when they did have original stuff. Sports journalism in its classic form is pretty much dying out any way (at least locally.) Part of the problem is that the only real decently-distributed publication is a rag (Oregonian) and the other one (Tribune) is a barely- funded/bare bones operation.

I guess we could always try to convince the Willamette Week staff that writing abut the Blazers is the sports equivalent of writing an anarcho-syndicalist column during the Spanish Revolution...... Nah. Probably wouldn't work. It wouldn't be EDGY enough for them.

TBpup likes this.