Andris Biedrins Draft Capsule

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Yup, it's from ESPN Insider a long time ago. I think the only reason Biedrins doesn't really jump that high is because:

1.) He could get blocked on the way down with all that hang time
    2.) Somebody could undercut him which is dangerous especially for a big player with a lot of weight and no basket to grab onto.
    3.) He only needs to jump like 6 or 7 inches to dunk or something.

So, I don't get the reason why some don't consider Biedrins an athletic freak. Usually smaller guys would jump way higher than him. But Biedrins is 7 feet and is naturally strong can probably outjump a lot of athletic forwards. He finished with some great workout performances on the bench press at age 17 or 18 in the pre-draft camps. So he's athletic and he's naturally strong.

2. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

Thats what I thought too, save energy and just jump high enough to dunk. But still I'd love to see him get 34" vert and dunking on someone. Seems like a very explosive guy, Euro with the athleticism of a black guy haha.

3. Custodianrules2

Biedrins is super foul prone. He bites on fakes, he reaches in when he's sealed off, he has been giving up a lot of and1 buckets for the other team. He's been an overall non factor for the team thus far, although he's had his small moments. If he doesn't improve his basketball I.Q. on defense, he'll continue to make bad decisions and get into more foul trouble very quickly. He just can't stay on the court for very long as he almost fouls on every play on defense. He also doesn't vacate the lane soon enough at times, leading in technical free throws for the other team.

4. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

The problem is he thinks he can block any and every shot someone puts up. He has to know when to block and when to change shots. He has the tools, just he's so damn raw.

5. Ryan

Ryan BBW Member

He just needs to watch how foyle and Ike block shots. They time their jump and get the ball on the way up, after it has left the shooter's hands. Biedrins is trying to get the block before the offensive guy releases it. That's why his arm is swatting down during the shot and ref's know that motion will result in a foul every time.

6. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting ryanfish:</div><div class="quote_post">He just needs to watch how foyle and Ike block shots. They time their jump and get the ball on the way up, after it has left the shooter's hands. Biedrins is trying to get the block before the offensive guy releases it. That's why his arm is swatting down during the shot and ref's know that motion will result in a foul every time.</div>
    I think this season everybody is going to feed off one another sort of like how Pietrus and Richardson sort of challenged one another in practice. Since Biedrins has been out of foul trouble he's been really making an impact on those rebounds. Plus with Taft and Diogu out there, it definitely adds more quality than just having Foyle in practice.

BTW thx for posting ryanfish.

7. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

Bump. I'm getting sick of seeing Foyle play so much. We didn't see any Biedrins last night and in the Pistons game he only got 4 or 5 minutes. Biedrins is the future here. Murphy will be gone in a year or so I'm sure in favor of Ike who is playing extremely well yet gets benched as a reward, so we will eventually be seeing a Baron, J-Rich, MP2 (hopefully) Diogu, Biedrins. Man, Biedrins needs to start, I don't care if he fouls out, we will have some post scoring, rebounding, and even if he fouls out, he will have a good game. In his only NBA start he had a double-double against the Queen's seasoned big men. I'm tired of Foyle messing up on offense and getting out-rebounded and out-played. Let's see some Biedrins!

8. hipokrat_x(LV)

hipokrat_x(LV) JBB JustBBall Member

I realy don't get why Biedrins sit out last 2 games ( got 3 mins vs Pistons and made 2 points and got 1 reb), but it some kind of reward for game in Phily with 8 points, 2 bloks and 3 rebs.... Foyl just looks out of shape now, and Monty still forces his minutes and keeps Biedrins away...

9. Custodianrules2

It's because Monty is doing the Larry Brown thing. Boo! He'll play old vets before he plays some rookie that could be inconsistent. At least he's promoting Ike Diogu as starter, much like Channing Frye got the start for the Knicks. When Biedrins gets minutes and stays out of foul trouble he's a lock for a double digit rebounding game. Plus, he can push the ball some, catch it and can finish layups. Foyle's not that much stronger I bet, but then again he's 270 lbs and older.

10. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">It's because Monty is doing the Larry Brown thing. Boo! He'll play old vets before he plays some rookie that could be inconsistent. At least he's promoting Ike Diogu as starter, much like Channing Frye got the start for the Knicks. When Biedrins gets minutes and stays out of foul trouble he's a lock for a double digit rebounding game. Plus, he can push the ball some, catch it and can finish layups. Foyle's not that much stronger I bet, but then again he's 270 lbs and older.</div>

Lately in Biedrins limited playing time, he's staying out of foul trouble and is snatching up the rebounds. By the break I'd be happy to see a Baron-J-Rich-Pietrus-Diogu-Biedrins line-up to throw out there against a team like the Hornets or the Raptors. At least we are seeing Foyle go to the bench for Ike :nod: It should be a fun night in the arena.

11. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Biedris is only 19 and is growing, maybe up to 7'2" when he's done. He's got good hands and knows how to dunk. His rebounding is getting better; I just wish he would not contest every layup and reach so much. He's a keeper and I hope we do not trade him; he could be our Kristic/Pachulia find.

12. Custodianrules2

Biedrins physically is not quite there. I think he tends to get out of control because he's pretty helpless in most situations against bigger bodies. Against power forward matchups, he's pretty reserved. Some of his most memorable plays happened against the 6'9, 240 type centers. [​IMG] Anything his size, but heavier, he gets creamed.