Anonymous NBA Scouts Dish Dirt On Western Conference Teams

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Whereas I do NOT like this one (said about the Spurs, just after saying they were "secretly a fucking juggernaut last year"):

2. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Hope you're right! Want to buy a Vonleh jersey. Love solid post players.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  3. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Better than CP3?

4. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    Article says Turner takes the ball away from Dame and CJ: Not so much if Turner comes off the bench with Crabbe.

dviss1, Darkwebs and BlazerCaravan like this.
  5. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Yeah, I should have mentioned that too. I don't see the problem there at all.

6. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

You and me both! I can get ya a discount. ;)

HailBlazers likes this.
  7. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I think there is a connection between Lillard minutes and ET ball handling.

My guess is that Lillard minutes will stay up, but Lillard minutes where he is the primary ball handler will go down. So, minutes the same, less wear and tear.

8. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I urge everyone to read this article. Lots of insights from guys who actually get paid to evaluate NBA talent, not just media whores trying to push up their own page views.

They pick UTA to finish behind us for the same reason many here have stated - the lack a superstar, go to closer kind of player. About Joe Johnson:

Johnson isn't quite as over the hill as Pierce, but he's rapidly headed in that direction. He sucked in BRK last year, but then so did everyone else. He showed in his 24 games in MIA, he can still score, but he also showed he's a compete sieve on defense. If UTA uses him right (in for offense, out on defense) at the end of games, they might fare better than last year in close games, but as the scouts said:

Man, it's REALLY going to suck if UTA finishes ahead of us. I've been bashing all the media pundits that are saying shit like best bench in the entire league, 3rd best team in the West etc. It's not that I think the Jazz suck. I just don't think they are anywhere close to deserving the hype they are getting. So, reading this scouting report was a welcome change, that basically agrees with my sentiments: UTA is going to be good, but not as good as many seem to think.

Also, liked the comments on the Clippers:

I sound like a broken record on the two points highlighted in bold. But, it's true. They still don't have a starting quality SF and their depth sucks.

Two other things I agree with:

Even if they do finish ahead of us during the regular season, I don't fear them in the playoffs. For five years in a row, they've found some way to fuck it up in the post season. As the article says:

The difference this year, is they will be feeling the pressure more than ever, and this team just does not have a good track record dealing with pressure. There will be pressure from the LA and national media, and a lot of self imposed pressure from within. The season hasn't even started and we're already hearing about how it's now or never for this incarnation of the Clippers. Even Chris Paul mentioned it in a post game interview last night. They know they have underachieved in the playoffs and are already feeling the heat a week before opening night.

BNM

9. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

According to the scouts:

BNM

dviss1, BBert and Orion Bailey like this.
  10. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

We're gonna smash them!

ripcityboy, rasheedfan2005 and BBert like this.
  11. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    Happy to hear it :)

12. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

They cant guard us!

dviss1 likes this.
  13. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Yeah. I'm gunna take that Meyers description and make it my new sig too.

Favorite line.... "He's a decent passer, I guess." :breakdance:

dviss1 likes this.
  14. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Unfortunately thus far Noah's High Post game has not shown to be anywhere close to Al's, especially his slow & fugly J. Hopefully he's taken quantum leaps forward in that regard as I don't see him having enough size to be more then a garbage man down low cleaning up misses.

STOMP

15. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

At Vonleh's current age, Horford hadn't yet played an NBA game.

16. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    I think their general analysis is correct but they're underestimating several of our players, namely Leonard, Vonleh and Harkless, that they didn't mention.
    I like the idea of starting Crabbe or another starting five, there's something not fluent enough about our starting five. About Aminu I think they're right that he should play PF but also that it should be more situational. He gives us a different look as a stretch 4 but I don't know if he's a starter or good enough to be a starter.
    I think CJ and Dame are surely starters but the rest of the starting lineup is questionable. I understand that who finishes the games is what's important but I think the starting five should be of the top 5 players, at least by position and it's important to creating hierarchy and more defined roles

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  17. GrandpaBlaze

GrandpaBlaze Predictions Game Master

I guess I fall in with them.

Leonard - I basically expect nothing from him. If he shows it great. He's shown occasional flashes of possibility but no consistency where I feel comfortable with him.

Vonleh - I keep hoping and realize he is young and needs time to mature and gain experience. I'll keep hoping but not expecting.

Harkless - I think Hark is one of the keys to our success this year. Seems to have potential but sometimes just doesn't seem to make an impact (kind of reminding me of Nic Batum). I think for us to be a serious challenger this year, he needs to improve both in abilities and consistency.

Gramps...

fumanchu and Wizard Mentor like this.
  18. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

It is true last year that did occur early on. But less so late in the season. I guess it depends on what you define as an "impact".

If it is scoring then no he will not provide a consistent impact, because he in not going to get the consistent opportunity to score. I am not sure anyone other than Dame and Cj has a chance to be consistent on the offensive end.....game in and game out.

Harkless is an energy guy and energy is harder to track. Especially if you are not watching the player the whole time, and that's hard to do on TV (and even worse if you are counting on the box score) That was true for Nic as well, especially when Dame, Wes, and LMA were taking most of the shots. Of course I think many of us preferred Nic to score more, but with Harkless I am not sure that is the case. Same with Aminu. I bet neither are our 3rd scorer. I bet ET and Crabbe will both average more points coming off the bench. And that might be a good thing. Let Harkless and Aminu (and even Plumlee) all be energy guys while Dame and CJ take most of the shots in the starting line up. Then Crabbe and ET can contribute when they come in with the 2nd unit.

That doesn't mean that Aminu and Harkless won't bust loose every few games with some 15-20 nights. But no way will it be consistent. But again as long as they are working their asses off on D on a consistent basis, they can still provide a consistent impact.

GrandpaBlaze and Orion Bailey like this.
  19. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Agreed on all accounts. The problem is that there is a Biebs/Vonleh tension as only one of them will play. Biebs had the nod, but Vonleh has been great in preseason. i.e. It's unlikely both will succeed (barring a trade, of course).

20. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

True. My point was he's got a long ways to go before he should be compared to an All-Star...especially one who always had good form on their Jumper. I'm all for him developing, but lets not put the cart before the horse. He's 21 and this is his 3rd year in the league. If he's going to metamorph into something greater now would be a fine time to flash some of that potential.

STOMP

BBert likes this.