Politics Another officer shooting/riot situation

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Sinobas, Sep 19, 2017.

1. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

For all we know, the COP may need meds.

How many police have undiagnosed PTSD from seeing the WORST of us everyday?

Nobody talks about this.

Denny Crane likes this.
  2. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Maybe, but what ever maybe wrong with the cop is a side issue until the policy is changed. They train cops this way.

3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Stop being ridiculous.

The guy called the cops himself and pretended to be a concerned citizen. The cops are compelled to show up. It's their job. The guy was moving towards them, despite multiple warnings, with something in his hand. I have already explained the 21 foot rule and why it's important. Did you watch the videos? I'm guessing neither you or Denny actually watched the videos.

4. Natebishop3

You didn't answer my question though.

If someone pulled a knife on you and was moving towards you, and you had a gun, what would you do?

5. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    That 21 foot rule is real. Here is another I use. Training a person new to a weapon. A small weapon that fits a small hand. When you pull that weapon out, be sure you intend to use it.
    Close to 15 feet, three to middle, one to the head. Another if needed.

6. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I've already explained the 21 foot rule is bullshit. It's proven wrong in many other countries that aren't shoot first like ours. I saw those mock up videos. They're nothing but propaganda.

7. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Yup. Survival of the fittest.

And @Natebishop3 if someone calls the police to do "suicide by cop" then they are fucking MENTALLY UNSTABLE. They don't need death, they need HELP.

8. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!

I agree, the training need to be changed for the police. For the person I was training, no. The person may need help but she ain't it and and being in hers space univited will be final.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  9. Natebishop3

How are they supposed to know that? The guy didn't call 911 and say "I'm going to do suicide by cop!" He pretended to be a concerned citizen calling about someone with a knife. If you read the article that Sinobas linked, it says:

"A student's cellphone video captured from a dorm room across the street shows the confrontation play out in the brightly-lit entrance to a parking garage. At least two officers have their guns drawn as Schultz walks toward them with their arms down.
    A knife is not visible in the cellphone video seen by CNN.
    "Come on, man, drop the knife," one officer says. "Come on, let's drop it," another officer says.
    Schultz walks toward them slowly and shouts, "Shoot me!"
    "No, drop the knife," the first officer says.
    The officers repeatedly tell Schultz to drop the knife and one says, "Nobody wants to hurt you." Another says, "What's going on, man?"
    More officers' voices are heard, telling Schultz not to move and to drop the knife. Schultz pauses briefly, then takes three steps forward before being shot once and falling to the ground.
    Schultz died at a hospital."

[​IMG]

Look how close he is to the cop. That's WAAAAAY closer than 21 feet. That's more like 10 feet, and he was closing the distance.

So let's say you're a cop, you get a call about someone potentially having a knife, you show up and encounter a guy... in the moment..... with something in his hand. He's moving towards you. You're begging him to stop advancing but he isn't listening to you. What do you do? You can't hit the pause button. You can't run away because he has a knife and he's already extremely close.

This is one of those situations that's easy to monday morning quarterback, but in the heat of the moment it's not nearly as cut and dry.

10. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

You keep acting like I give a fuck about this imaginary 21 foot rule. It was made up.

11. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

The videos I showed above, the knife weilders are WELL within 21 feet and they are taken into custody ALIVE.

Tell me this:

Why the FUCK do you people who seem to hate and mistrust government, want to give complete control over our lives over to the ENFORCERS of that very government??

12. Natebishop3

That's very easy to say when you don't have someone holding a knife within 10 feet of you. People don't just drop when you shoot them, unless you hit vital organs. If they're running or moving quickly, it's very easy to miss. But a knife doesn't need to be aimed. You can slash and stab and swing it and you're almost guaranteed to hit flesh. You can still accomplish this, despite being shot, especially if you already have momentum carrying you forward. One of the videos addresses the fact that if you try to use less than lethal, like a stun gun, if you miss you're in deep shit. You only get one shot with a tazer. So now you have to switch to your handgun and he might already be running at you. Knives are extremely dangerous and can cause a ton of damage very quickly with zero training.

So, first of all, when he called 911 he told them that the suspect might have a gun, as well as a knife. So that changes how the police are going to react.

Secondly, why should an officer put themselves at risk to take someone alive that is threatening them with a deadly weapon? I get it, in hindsight we know that the person was going through a crisis and wanted to commit suicide by cop. They don't know that in the heat of the moment. They only know that there's someone potentially armed with a weapon. So they show up to protect the community, and this person begins to advance on them. So let's say they do what you want, and they try to disarm him and arrest him, but he catches a lucky blow and they bleed out and die... was it worth the life of a cop to take this person alive?

Should cops just not show up? If they see someone armed with a knife, should they just peace out and leave the community exposed to a threat?

What should be their top priority? The lives of the people in that neighborhood? Their own lives? The life of the person holding a weapon? This guy called the cops. This guy lied to the 911 operator. This guy wanted to be shot and he put them in an impossible position. If someone wants to kill themselves, that's up to them, but as soon as they start putting other people at risk, I lose a lot of sympathy for them. They're putting these cops in a position where they have to weigh their own safety against the safety of someone whose intentions are not clear in the heat of the moment.

13. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

I wish they didn't scrub this video from You tube. It was from a body cam. The police is standing in the door way and the man attempts to stab him.

He (the cop) has the wherewithal to grab the mans hand and reach ACROSS his body to grab his taser and take the man into custody. The man was within 2-3 feet of the cop.

It can be done. We need to have diligence instead of just letting our police officers rely on their guns first.