Ant 4/100

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by B-Roy, Jun 30, 2022.

1. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Probably none because the market has been extremely rough on RFAs the last few years. I'll tell you one who got a deal though. He got paid really well for a guy who only had 30 games at a level that would justify his contract.

2. blazerkor

What convinces you of that? Is it the same air tight intel that told so many in here that we couldn't have possibly got more for any of Norm, RoCo, CJ and Larry?

TBpup likes this.
  3. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Look at his per 100 possessions numbers. He’s been this good for years

BBert, Idog1976, HailBlazers and 2 others like this.
  4. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

Well doesn't take fact that we still over paid. If you like the deal that's your opinion on it. But hopefully he show more then shooting this year because he's behind in other category.

5. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Remember all the $$$ Neil Olshey handed out and he said that they could have got more elsewhere? Yet no one every came up with one single shred of proof that another team was going to offer them that much. In fact, Turner was shocked at how much Neil offered and was told if Neil offered it, you better take it.

SlyPokerCat likes this.
  6. blazerkor

He wouldn't have. He would have signed a four year deal for the most he could get and we would have said, great job Ant, we won't wait a minute to match that because we love you. How could that possibly be offensive?

TBpup likes this.
  7. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

Better than Norman Powell for $7 million less? Remember when everyone tried to justify Joe's trade where we gave him up for nothing?

https://stathead.com/tiny/Ahmw7

That 7 million extra is the cost of potential and what could be with Ant. So hopefully these folks championing this deal accept that the Powell deal wasn't trash.

8. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Exactly where I thought he’d land. Good signing.

BBert, Idog1976, HailBlazers and 2 others like this.
  9. blazerkor

His per 100 don't translate because he played almost all of those minutes against scrubs. And I just looked at his per 100s before this season and they were shit. They were shit for this season until the new year. I mean we are talking about a less than Linsanity sample size at a different position than we're signing him to play.

TBpup likes this.
  10. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

That's not how contract evaluation works. but keep banging that rum. Powell was overpaid for who he was.

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The difference is that the people who signed off on Ant know what he brings and value him....I was never real high on him even last season but have to go with the folks who have been around him his whole career and see his "latest" level of play...not his garbage time minutes but when he actually ran the point and ran the offense ..he was impressive. It's all good. Our coaching staff seems to have a different idea of value than a lot of fans do concerning him.

12. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

I said that we paid Ant more than Powell because of potential. That is generally how contracts work.

Explain to me why this is a good deal and Powell was a trash deal.

13. blazerkor

We're here again. Remember when Neil and Terry were your experts. Do you remember that? Just because our front office does something does not make it a good thing. Why on earth would that be your only measuring stick?

TBpup likes this.
  14. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed in Ant's contract, although I haven't seen how much of it is incentive based. I was hoping for 20M/year rather than 25M. But I guess 5M more is only about 4% of the cap, and maybe the good will of him buying in will make it worthwhile

I still think it was too small a sample size of good production, on a bad team, to warrant that kind of deal. I'm also convinced that no other team would have offered him nearly that much

here's hoping he can take it up another notch and sustain it when playing alongside Dame. I certainly noticed that Ant's shine dulled quite a bit once CJ came back and started dominating usage. Dame is different than CJ and will certainly work to get Ant in the flow, so maybe it won't be the same

blazerkor likes this.
  15. blazerkor

I'll gladly eat crow. I hope Ant is an allstar. I'm happy for Ant. We just did something that we've done many times before that did not turn out well for us. That's all.

TBpup likes this.
  16. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    This!

Natebishop3 likes this.
  17. YamTastic

YamTastic I'm Trans Issues

I mean... 55th-60th being the worst starter starter on the 11th or 12th best team in the league, which...
    *gestures vaguely at the Portland Trail Blazers* ...sounds like a bargain actually.

18. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

not that this should be the standard by which we live by, but I feel far better about this than Crabbe’s deal….

SharpeScooterShooter likes this.
  19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

What does "we're here again " even mean? who said it's my only measuring stick?....I'm as far from an armchair GM as this forum has.....Neil was never my expert...I didn't think much about him period but I like Terry, still do. That has nothing to do with how I feel about Schimtz Cronin Billups and crew. I have said all season I like the front office change. I try not to get hung up second guessing those guys and definitely don't look to this forum for reasons to doubt moves. Doesn't interest me. I like our new chapter so far...I'm going to enjoy watching it unfold. Hanging on to past moves that failed isn't an interesting gauge for what we're doing right now.

SwissBlazer likes this.
  20. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

For his career