Antawn Jamison Traded To Wizards For 5th Pick

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by mike18946, Jun 23, 2004.

1. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Just been reported on ESPN news

Sources say this was done to help Dallas get Shaq even more...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Dallas Mavericks, while still hoping to convince the Los Angeles Lakers to send them Shaquille O'Neal, look to have completed another major trade on the eve of the NBA draft, ESPN.com has learned.

The Mavericks, according to league sources, have acquired the No. 5 overall pick in Thursday's draft from Washington as part of a package that features Antawn Jamison, the newly minted Sixth Man of the Year, as the prize catch for the Wizards.

The other players involved in the deal were not immediately known. Sources, however, say the Mavericks hope to use the No. 5 pick -- or possibly another player or players acquired in the deal -- to sweeten the package they can offer the Lakers in exchange for the disgruntled O'Neal. It is also possible, sources say, that the Mavericks will pursue additional trades with the other pieces they land from Washington.
    </div>

link

2. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

This might have been Washington's worst mistake this offseason, 5th pick means Luol Deng or any other great player in the draft that will last longer than Antawn Jamison.

3. Andrew23226

Andrew23226 JBB JustBBall Member

Rookies get way too much credit. Everyone praises them like crazy until a few years later we see how many are busts. Jamison is a proven player, most likely an all-star in the East. Up until he was 6th man for the Mavs, he dropped 20 points and grabbed 7 boards a game. I will take that any day over a risky pick, especially in this draft.

4. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Jerry Stackhouse and Christian Laettner will also be going to Dallas in this trade.

So

Stackhouse/Laettner & 5th pick for Jamison

5. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    I like it for the Mavericks. If Stackhouse regains his health and plays 70 games next season, Dallas would not suffer much loss in production. They also get a familiar face in Laettner who knows Nelson's system, and a free 5th pick. Forget Shaq, they should just stick with the current roster.

6. og15

og15 JBB *********

Ding Dong bell, Jerry Stackhouse's gone, who took him away, the Dallas Mavericks [​IMG]

Him and Arenas were just on BDSS, and Arenas was sayng he isn't a cancer and he'll like to give himanother chance, guess not.

I still wonder, are we tryng to gather the East Golden State Warriors? Arenas-Hughes-Jamison

7. mullin17

mullin17 JBB JustBBall Member

I'm a Warriors fan but I will be rooting for the Wizards next year. Jamison is one of my favorites because of his hardwork, and can definitely be an all star in the east. I was upset when teh Warriors decided to go with richardson and let hughes go, because I think richardson sucks. And I like arena's fury. GO WIZARDS!!!!!!!!

8. og15

og15 JBB *********

Hey more Wizards fans is always good [​IMG]
    I'm liking this a lot, getting rid of Stack and Laettner in one deal is great stuff.

9. kobe-360

kobe-360 JBB JustBBall Member

That was one of the stupidest trades ever. I mean Jamison for the 5th pick that sucks. But Stackhouse and Laettner man what were they thinking. Only one good reason why they traded is because they are trying to save money for Kobe or T-Mac.

10. HoopsAvenue

HoopsAvenue JBB JustBBall Member

Are you kidding me? That was a great trade. Wiz get rid of Stack's contract, pick up a proven SF (which is what they needed), and get rid of lazy Laettner. It might seem like a lot, but it's really not when you realize that Jamison is better than any 5th pick. The Wiz now got a set starting lineup without a logjam in the backcourt. Arenas, Hughes, and Jamison are all capable of scoring 20 per night and I expect Arenas and Jamison to average around that. Hughes should average 15 and he won't have to share time with Stack anymore. It's up to the big guys and I expect Kwame to have a 15-8 type season.

11. og15

og15 JBB *********

Now all we need is some defense, thats the hard part....

12. mullin17

mullin17 JBB JustBBall Member

Who cares about defense, these guys are gonna be fun to watch. Arenas, Hughes, and jamison, was the line up I wanted Golden state to keep in tact. Now what they should do is sign Adonal Foyle to play Center. and change the name to the Wizarriors.

13. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I care about D...it wins championships buddy...I love this trade, clear up stacks contract along with Laettners and we get rid of Stack horrible play making...Jamison is going to be great for us, I have heard rumors that we are clearing room to make a run at K mart, move Kwame to the 5 and have a lineup of:

Arenas
    Hughes
    Jamison
    K Mart
    Kwame

14. wizardsfan00

wizardsfan00 JBB JustBBall Member

that sounds great idea to me...but where did u hear this from? if we got kenyon..thats defence right there...and we culd move haywood to the bench(where he shuld be)...if we got kenyon i think that makes us playoff bound defiently

15. S.Livingston14

S.Livingston14 JBB JustBBall Member

Hey, I never truly liked the Wizards I only liked them a little bit because they were my home team. Now that they have my favorite player, I couldn't be happier. Jamison is easily a 20-10 guy in the East Conference. I can't wait to go see some of the games.

16. S.Livingston14

How are we supposed to get K-Mart?

17. jbbThe Chosen 1

jbbThe Chosen 1 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting HoopsAvenue:</div><div class="quote_post">Are you kidding me? That was a great trade. Wiz get rid of Stack's contract, pick up a proven SF (which is what they needed), and get rid of lazy Laettner. It might seem like a lot, but it's really not when you realize that Jamison is better than any 5th pick. The Wiz now got a set starting lineup without a logjam in the backcourt. Arenas, Hughes, and Jamison are all capable of scoring 20 per night and I expect Arenas and Jamison to average around that. Hughes should average 15 and he won't have to share time with Stack anymore. It's up to the big guys and I expect Kwame to have a 15-8 type season.</div>

I agree with you 120% HoopsAvenue

The wizards did a great job of unloaded two bad contracts in stack and laettner... Laettner is over the hill, and who knows is stacks knees were going to hold up.. Getting a proved player in Jamison, who has a low post presence, can hit from the perimeter, and who many people over look, is his blocking ability. Best of all Jamison will spread the floor out, and he'll have two 7' towers down low with Kwame and Haywood. With this trade the wizards now have a VERY BIG and athletic front court to go along with their explosive backcourt. I see great things to come from the wizards next season!

Oh by the way i'm new here [​IMG] , this is maybe my 4th post. I'm a diehard Wizards fan too!

18. jenike

jenike JBB JustBBall Member

I'm a HUGE Jamison fan, and I'm going crazy over the fact that he will be starting again! That's awesome for the wizards. I think they will be a much improved team next year. Great deal by the wiz!

19. S.Livingston14

Yeah, Jamison is a starter. But I still hate the All-Star voting for keeping him out of the All-STar Game wen he averaged 24 ppg. And Jamison is not the guy to be involved with scandals he's a classy nice guy. I met him while he was attending UNC, my dad took me to a game to see him play because I've been a fan since then(6 years old then) and I met him after the game and he was great.

20. S.Livingston14

Don't hate on Jamison, Kobe.