Any more moves needed & Depth chart?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by bronbron23, Aug 14, 2007.

1. bronbron23

bronbron23 JBB JustBBall Member

Any more moves needed & Depth chart?

I was just thinking if the Rockets, although have had a great offseason so far, will they make any more moves?
    I think that although Hayes and Scola will hold down the PF position Rockets could have a better PF than Hayes starting as I guess he will be because he has more experience than Scola and he's proven. I just dislike his lack of height even though he hustles and can rebound etc and the fact Scola will be new to the league I think that it would be better to have a more solid PF? Also I'm thinking that the Guard problem, although a good one is that there are too many so maybe a trade is likely. I'm not suggesting there should be one but I'm simply pointing out that there may be one to solidify the roster.

Here's what the roster looks like:

C Yao / Mutombo
    PF Hayes / Scola /
    SF Battier / Wells / Reed
    SG McGrady / Snyder/
    PG Alston / James/ Francis/ Head/ Lucas

?Bob Sura?

I think one of the great things about the upcoming roster is that no one can put there finger on who will start or at least what the depth chart will look like for sure because the team is so versatile for example Francis can play either guard position, Mcgrady and Wells can play SG or SF and battier can play either forward spot. I believe the rotation will also definitely change due to the performance of each player other the season.

So 1. Will Rockets add to the PF spot?
    2. Will Rockets make any trades involving their many guards?
    3. What will the depth chart look like?
    4. What the heck is going on with Bob Sura?

2. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">bronbron23 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I think one of the great things about the upcoming roster is that no one can put there finger on who will start or at least what the depth chart will look like for sure because the team is so versatile for example Francis can play either guard position, Mcgrady and Wells can play SG or SF and battier can play either forward spot. I believe the rotation will also definitely change due to the performance of each player other the season.

4. What the heck is going on with Bob Sura?</div>

Whatever happens, the Rockets will not take on another contract. So, if they are to acquire another PF, it will have to be via trade. The Rockets are happy with Hayes and Scola as the two options at PF, and I think that Scola will likely be the one starting if he meets expectations. Both, however, figure to be foul prone next year, in which case we also have Battier who can fill in at PF for a short stretch during a game.

The Rockets are actively trying to trade John Lucas, but we probably won't get more than a draft pick for him. I think Sura will likely be bought out. And it is likely that Rafer will be traded before Nov 1 as well.

Mutombo isn't a lock to return, and it's quite possible that the Rockets will look for a good backup C (and hopefully a bit a more) in exchange for Rafer.

3. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">bronbron23 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I was just thinking if the Rockets, although have had a great offseason so far, will they make any more moves?
    I think that although Hayes and Scola will hold down the PF position Rockets could have a better PF than Hayes starting as I guess he will be because he has more experience than Scola and he's proven. I just dislike his lack of height even though he hustles and can rebound etc and the fact Scola will be new to the league I think that it would be better to have a more solid PF? Also I'm thinking that the Guard problem, although a good one is that there are too many so maybe a trade is likely. I'm not suggesting there should be one but I'm simply pointing out that there may be one to solidify the roster.

Here's what the roster looks like:

C Yao / Mutombo
    PF Hayes / Scola /
    SF Battier / Wells / Reed
    SG McGrady / Snyder/
    PG Alston / James/ Francis/ Head/ Lucas

?Bob Sura?

I think one of the great things about the upcoming roster is that no one can put there finger on who will start or at least what the depth chart will look like for sure because the team is so versatile for example Francis can play either guard position, Mcgrady and Wells can play SG or SF and battier can play either forward spot. I believe the rotation will also definitely change due to the performance of each player other the season.

4. What the heck is going on with Bob Sura?</div>

I think the Rockets are done with trades until training camp ends. A few games into the season and we will know if another forward/center is necessary. The only two players I am a little worried about are Scola and Deke. If they can hold their own, the Rockets should be okay.

1. Most likely this season, if not, next season.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yao/Deke
    Hayes/Scola
    Battier/Snyder
    T-Mac/Head/Wells
    Francis/James/Alston
    10 man rotation, stick to it if it wins games, if not, just use it until we find out what works and what doesn't.
    4. Bob Sura is never coming back.

4. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Lucas isn't hanging around and I'd like to think that neither will Alston.

We also have Reed and Novak at power forward, although I doubt that neither would contribute significantly. They seem lost in the shuffle though.

5. dakeem1

dakeem1 JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah. most questions have been answered. Bye JL3. And Hopefully Alston.

I agree that we have to see this team play before deciding whether we need a backup C or a PF.

I'd really hope we can trade Sura's contract to anyone needing cap relief, but I don't see it happening.

6. sethasaurus

sethasaurus JBB JustBBall Member

Why would you need a "more solid" point forward than mcgrady?

7. Montaman

Montaman JBB JustBBall Member

Power, that's a... power forward, not a point forward.

8. sethasaurus

sethasaurus JBB JustBBall Member

Oh, nevermind then. Sorry, I'm new to this thing.

9. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

Peja would be a nice addition. I would be willing to gamble on his health because he thrived under Adelman.

Maybe we could offer NOK James, Head, Novak, and Sura's contract. If thats not plausible, give them Battier and Landry instead of James and Novak for David West. I don't know. After hearing that terrible Scalibrine for Alston rumor, I thought I should post a trade.

C Yao / Mutombo /Butler
    PF Hayes / Scola / Harris
    SF Battier / Peja / Reed/ Landry
    SG McGrady / Wells / Snyder
    PG Alston / Francis/ Lucas / Brooks

C Yao / Mutombo
    PF West / Hayes / Scola/ Harris
    SF McGrady / Novak / Reed
    SG Francis / Wells / Snyder
    PG Alston / James/ Lucas

10. Montaman

I'm still stickin' to my guns on T-Mac. I'd roll like this.

PG McGrady
    SG Battier
    SF Novak
    PF Hayes
    C Yao

11. chinlessbob

chinlessbob JBB JustBBall Member

Novak your starting SF??

Starters by end of season:
    pg- Francis
    sg- Mcgrady
    sf- Battier
    pf- Scola
    c- Yao

rotation:
    wells, james, hayes, mutombo (if he resigns)
    hope snyder can get some playing time too

With the game on the line:
    Francis
    Wells
    Mcgrady
    Battier
    Yao

A little small but they're all decent rebounders.

12. Montaman

Yeah, I'd roll with Novak. Adelman trotted out Stojakovic, and he essentially filled the same role at SF, except Novak is likely more athletic, and perhaps a bit rangier.

13. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Montaman Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, I'd roll with Novak. Adelman trotted out Stojakovic, and he essentially filled the same role at SF, except Novak is likely more athletic, and perhaps a bit rangier.</div>
    Novak from the limited action he saw last year can't catch and shoot at all like Peja could though. What the Kings did a lot of was have him come off the screen and launch a shot before the defenders could recover. Stojakovic also had decent handles. Granted, Novak has worked on those aspects of his game during the summer but I doubt he'd be anything more than a rotation player.

14. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Montaman Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, I'd roll with Novak. Adelman trotted out Stojakovic, and he essentially filled the same role at SF, except Novak is likely more athletic, and perhaps a bit rangier.</div>

Novak is less athletic than a tree stump. Come on.

15. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

<div class="quote_poster">durvasa Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Novak is less athletic than a tree stump. Come on.</div>

How old is this tree stump?

16. dakeem1

dakeem1 JBB JustBBall Member

Novak better than Peja in Sacramento? HAHAHAHAHA. Are you serious? Peja was one of the best, if not THE BEST shooter in the league for a few seasons. He was an allstar and a fan favourite. How can you even utter Stojakovic in the same sentence?

17. umair

umair "Never underestimate the heart of a champion."

PG: Steve Francis
    SG: McGrady
    SF: Battier
    PF: Hayes
    C: Yao

The only moves we need to make are trading Alston and JL3

18. chinlessbob

chinlessbob JBB JustBBall Member

I think houston should package head with alston so that they can get a better big man than just what alston would be able to get houston alone.
    or hell, just package james, head and alston all together. with francis, Tmac, Bonzi, and the emergence of brooks, I think the backcourt is set.