Anyone Miss Gilbert Now?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by philsmith75, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting OgShowtime:</div><div class="quote_post">Numbers aside, Arenas just has to mature a bit more before he can truly be the leader of an NBA team. He has great talent, there's no doubt about that, he's still somewhat of a selfish player though in my opinion.</div>

I'm glad somebody agrees with me that Gilbert wasn't the playmaker that got everyone involved last year. He was kind of selfish. That's why Damp was complaining when he wouldn't dish to him while he was wide open.

2. Mez

Mez JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Starbury is only the 9th highest paid basketball player. I think New York has Steinbrenner syndrome. Where is the flexibility to get a decent bench in the years to come?</div>

Didn't know that, how much does he get paid a year? He does so much for the team, he's definately one of the least underpaid on his team then, I can say that one for sure! Even if Steph got about 15mil a year, I'd live with that, and wouldn't have a problem with it. I guess I just like him that much.

3. notmuchgame

notmuchgame JBB JustBBall Member

I honestly don't think Arenas was a good fit to be point guard for the Warriors...Like a lot of you guys mentioned already, he's a combo guard...and that's not what the Warriors need with all the talent they already have at the perimeter...

With that said, I'm not sure if Speedy Claxton is the answer either...While he has been playing extremly well, I'm a little worried with Claxton's past inconsistant play and his thin stature...Claxton has always been a backup in my eyes....but maybe times have changed....who knows [​IMG]

4. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Arenas was unselfish?</div>

Not Jason Kidd unselfish, but he would do as much as he could to help the Warriors as a team. Also, down the stretch of games, he and Boytkins would always carry the Warriors, he wasn't afraid to take the big shots and saved the Warriors in a lot of games. That's what I liked about him, maybe "unselfish" was the wrong word, but he is better in that way compared to Van Exel, who was supposed to be their starting PG and still may be eventually. Who else would do something? Going to Jamison in the final minutes of games has been a joke ever since he's been in the league. Arenas was selfish in his own ways I guess, but that only built up positive things for the Warriors IMO. Also, let's understand he was trying to prove a point in his last year of his contract. No matter how you look at it though, Arenas was a star waiting to happen, and talent like him just doesn't come around all the time. Big loss for the Warriors.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting OgShowtime:</div><div class="quote_post">You're right Purple N Gold, Gilbert was a very good player for the Warriors. I'm still just a little upset that he took the same amount of money that the Clippers offered him to go play for the Wizards, I'm still trying to understand that decision.</div>

Agreed, I would have loved to see him play for the Clippers. He's been one of my favorite players from day 1 at Arizona. Grew up in the valley of LA, I like this kid, would have been a great experiance to see him as the PG of the Clips.

5. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Phreeze:</div><div class="quote_post">Didn't know that, how much does he get paid a year? He does so much for the team, he's definately one of the least underpaid on his team then, I can say that one for sure! Even if Steph got about 15mil a year, I'd live with that, and wouldn't have a problem with it. I guess I just like him that much.</div>

I'm quoting insider sources, but Starbury makes about 13.5 mil which increases every year until in 2009 which goes as high as 23 mil. But with all those other overpaid knicks it adds up to almost 1 billion dollars in total salaries as of now. So this means in the future, if the salary limit doesn't change, the Knicks will have a hard time trying to keep their other players on the team since Marbury hogs all the salary flexibility the Knicks have.

6. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Phreeze:</div><div class="quote_post">Didn't know that, how much does he get paid a year? He does so much for the team, he's definately one of the least underpaid on his team then, I can say that one for sure! Even if Steph got about 15mil a year, I'd live with that, and wouldn't have a problem with it. I guess I just like him that much.</div>

It's not that he isn't worth the money right now its just the way the contract is structured in the years to come. It's going to pay dearly in terms of the quality of the bench and keeping your starting roster.

7. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

I liked how Gilbert did not take one single shot until the 4th quarter one game after he was accused of being selfish. Then Mussleman told him to shoot the dang ball. He ended up scoring something like 18 points in that quarter and lead the team to a win.

As far as Marbury goes, I love his game, I just dont like his attitude.

8. thePHentity

thePHentity JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting OgShowtime:</div><div class="quote_post">He obviously would have been the starter if they paid him that kind of money. Denver had the luxury of being able to throw that kind of cash at him to play a back-up role to Miller, but GS could have easily made him their starting PG.</div>

what? earl's contract is 5 years for $13.5 million. that's not that kind of money at all. i think speedy has much better defense, if not the best defense on the warriors besides robinson and damp, than boykins. why pay boykins $20-25 million, when he's not even worth that much, a contract the warriors were obviously trying to avoid because of past experiences, when you can get a PG just as good, if not better, in claxton. we all know what claxton has done when healthy...when iverson was injured and last year in the playoffs. i just don't see boykins as a starter for the warriors.

9. OgShowtime

OgShowtime JBB JustBBall Member

I was under the impression that Denver gave him 23 million rather than 13. My mistake...

10. Custodianrules2

Posted by: Yocke on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 03:26 AM

Ever wonder what it would be like if Bill Clinton paid a visit to the White House? Would he just walk in and pee all over his old desk? Light up a cigar with Dubya and make fun of their Vice Presidents? Go down to the presidential kitchen and order a Moon Over My Hammy? If you're suddenly face-to-face with the man who now has your old job, how do you act? We're about to find out Friday night, when the Warriors travel to Washington to play Gilbert Arenas and the Bullets. You remember Gilbert, the man for whom several websites were created about a year ago, who bolted for the biggest paycheck thrown at him. There's a term for people who sell themselves for money, but that's neither here nor there. The best part of this reunion is that there's no telling what Gilbert will do-but whatever it is, it's guaranteed to be original, and you'll want to have your TIVO ready (or your VCR, if you're like me and you're broke as a joke).

Just to refresh your memory, here's a summary of some of the weird stuff Gil's done in his short time in the NBA: practiced dunking off a trampoline with the Warriors' mascot; hid Mike Dunleavy and Jiri Welsch's towels while they were showering, then threw their clothes in the snow; refused to shoot for the first 3 and a half quarters of a game last year in response to teammates' complaints that he shot too much; and tried to chase down a 7-foot center after a game. Oh yeah, he also got thrown out of a game he wasn't even playing in. Of course, the things I miss most as a fan came on the court, but Gilbert stories were always good for a laugh. It was the first time I'd heard of an NBA player who acts like it's "bring your kid to work day".

Like President Clinton, there were rules preventing Arenas from returning to his old job. In Bill's case, it was a term limit; for Gilbert, it meant choosing between $4.5 million and $11 million per year. The Warriors have come a long way when players now leave them for purely financial purposes, so I guess I should take solace in my team's progress. But you can't help but wonder what this team would be like if Gilbert were still around. Last year's squad helped revive basketball in the Bay Area, but the team was split up almost as quickly as it was put together. Arenas leaving led to the dismissals of Antawn Jamison, Earl Boykins, and Dan "The Man" Fortson, and things just haven't been the same since. The Warriors have a better record than last year, but it was a lot more fun watching the 2002 team's no-defense, track team style.

I'm sure Gilbert will say something stupid in the paper Friday morning, so I'll stop the column here and pick up again after the game on Friday.

11. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

This years team is better for the long run. Sure Arenas and JRich made some highlight plays but those plays don't win championships. What plays win championships? A runner in the lane between three players with the shot clock at 2, an 18 footer in a 95-95 game, a simple bank shot. This group is more like that type of team. Swing the ball, play motion offense, catch and shoot, drive and kick. Last year it was all drive, dribble, dribble. When Claxton got 13 assists, that was beautiful, drive, bounce pass to Damp. Will he hold up long term? I don't know but I hope so. And he's got a sweet face up jumper. And for Cardinal? No way Arenas gets him 30 or even 15, Arenas would have never passed the ball to that guy.

12. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Arenas' current stats, 18 ppg, 4.9 apg. Pretty nice. But look further, 39%, 3.7 turnovers per game. That's not where I want to spend $10m per.

13. Custodianrules2

He's been injured, but yes he is a typical combo guard. Fun to watch, not good for a team unless basketball's Chosen One asked the Soul of the Game for court vision.

"And the court vision was granted to the chosen one." The chosen one did not ask for hops. The chosen one did not ask for handles. So why did the chosen one ask for court vision? I'ma tell you why, for the good of the team! And it was granted to him! Can I get a layup?

Oh! I feel the soul of the game comin over me!

'Nuff said.

14. jayserinos99

jayserinos99 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">I liked how Gilbert did not take one single shot until the 4th quarter one game after he was accused of being selfish. Then Mussleman told him to shoot the dang ball. He ended up scoring something like 18 points in that quarter and lead the team to a win. </div>

That was against the Knicks I believe.

15. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jayserinos99:</div><div class="quote_post">That was against the Knicks I believe.</div>

I'm not sure...

16. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting jayserinos99:</div><div class="quote_post">That was against the Knicks I believe.</div>

Your beliefs are correct. Gilbert Arenas scored 14 points, and only 14 points in the 4th quarter against the Knicks last year. Surprisingly enough, he only got 5 assists though.

RecaplBoxscore

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">OAKLAND, Calif., Feb. 21 (Ticker) -- Gilbert Arenas gave the New York Knicks a dose of reality.

Arenas scored all of his 14 points in the final six minutes as the Golden State Warriors rallied from a nine-point deficit and snapped a three-game losing streak with a 111-107 victory over the Knicks.

"I was just trying to get my team involved," Arenas said. "The last three games, I tried to do it all myself when we got down. But today I just let everybody else do it and I just tried to take it over in the fourth quarter</div>

17. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Wave:</div><div class="quote_post">Your beliefs are correct. Gilbert Arenas scored 14 points, and only 14 points in the 4th quarter against the Knicks last year. Surprisingly enough, he only got 5 assists though.

RecaplBoxscore</div>

Aw, Wave you da man!