Politics Are Republicans the actual ‘snowflakes’?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by MickZagger, Apr 1, 2024.

1. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    My father in law is a Yankees fan and Trump supporter. He’s lived in North Portland his whole life. I get along with him when it gets to the core of being a decent person.

The few times I’ve really digged into a political conversation has lead me to believe he doesn’t know shit about politics but he thinks voting for Trump is what’s good for ‘Merica!

Phatguysrule and Hoopguru like this.
  2. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

It's likely that those of us who post in political threads here underestimate the huge number of people who neither know, nor care, anything at all about government and politics - and when they vote, they vote for names they dimly recognize, or whoever seemed charming when they saw a commercial, or the party that Mum & Dad voted for, or for the rebellious, the party that Mum & Dad avoided.

So I think it's like Hillary said. About half of Trump's supporters are in the basket of deplorables. Thus half are not.

barfo

3. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Funny story. When I was growing up a friend of mines mom refused to buy Heinz ketchup because she absolutely despised John Kerry

SlyPokerDog and Hoopguru like this.
  4. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Trump wanted to prosecute Saturday night live for parodying him. Hard to get more snowflake than that.

Phatguysrule and MickZagger like this.
  5. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

In the incredibly diverse State of Wyoming...

It's easy to miss the racism and homophobia when you live in the sticks. You're insulated from it.

6. Phatguysrule

You've just described the average MAGA voter.

7. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    That’s a false equivalency though. You’re trying to equate one side that’s full of vitriol and hates people for the way they are born with people who actively filter out people who act that way by choice. Totally different.

You’re basically saying is that Jews should be friends with Nazis, and if not then they are just as bad as a Nazi… like wait what no that doesn’t make sense man.

theprunetang and crandc like this.
  8. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

Did you really just accuse him of a false equivalency and then compare it to Jews and Nazis in the very next sentence? You might want to check up on your own false equivalencies.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
  9. jonnyboy

I can assure you my kid isn’t absorbed in any politics. Why would we try hang around with yuppie snobs who openly hate us anyway? We’re alot better than that. We don’t treat people like dirt.

CJ_is_Gone likes this.
  10. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Except....no, I'm not doing that at all. I'm not equating "sides"; I'm comparing specific behaviors outlined or demonstrated in specific scenarios.
    • The neighbor in the first scenario didn't "hate [anyone] for the way they are born"; he rejected someone solely for a political opinion.
    • The posters in the second scenario don't just "actively filter out people who act that way"; they actively filter out people solely for a political opinion (based on an assumption that said political opinion means that they will think our act a certain way)
    It's only a false equivalency if you accept the basic premise that a political opinion is necessarily a perfect indicator of a person's character. I do not accept that premise.

11. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

Trump is running a campaign based on hate. He refers to immigrants in every speech as vermin and animals and says they are not human. He says they are poisoning the blood of America and literally poisoning "us". Immigrants are destroying the economy and the school system. Immigrants are cause of a crime wave "like no one has ever seen before", a favorite Trump expression.

Tell me, how does this differ from what Hitler said about me?

Can you support Hitler and ignore what he said about Jews because you like other policies? Or because he makes more exciting speeches than the other guy?

12. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    false. Ive heard many speech where he does not say what you claim.
    And then in your quoted section? He does not say what you claim in the previous sentence.
    are you actually saying that when someone says immigrants are cause of a crime wave, that that means immigrants are vermin?

Or can you supply a link to a speech where he says immigrants are vermin?

im pretty sure he said illegal immigrants, first of all. And i do not recall ever seeing anything anywhere where he calls actual immigrants vermin?
    please share where you found this information?

jonnyboy likes this.
  13. bigbailes

bigbailes Well-Known Member

I love that that is what you take away from the post. It's ironic to me that you spend so much time defending Portland from the national perception that it has gotten, but yet spend energy thinking that Texas is the national perception that has been painted about it. This state isn't perfect by any means but at the end of the day, just like with PDX, the VAST MAJORITY are just good people, going to work every day, putting a roof over their heads, providing for their families and just want to relax when they can and enjoy life.

THE HCP and jonnyboy like this.
  14. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

15. Phatguysrule

And sticking their noses (forcing government to make decisions) in the personal health care decisions of every woman in the state, putting all of them at increased risk of injury and death.

Good people would prevent that kind of thing, imo.

16. jonnyboy

The fact you can’t present an example in its actual context says more about your own accusations than anything. In the spliced and editied clips you presented he was actually talking about murderers and criminals. The article you linked bears zero resemblance to any accusation you made either. If Trump is so god awful you’d think it would be alot easier to find examples that don’t have to be taken so far out of context or presented flat out dishonestly. People constantly just make up complete nonsense, then i get called alt-right or MAGA for simply pointing out how false or out of context the things you say are. Even if you truly are on the correct side of history and politics, maybe you are, it isn’t a license to just make shit up.
    The really unfortunate part is, people like you and HCP use these falsities to justify your hatred for people on “the other side”.

17. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    Yes it is a false equivalency, one side is hateful and wants to kill people for how they are born. Another side wants nothing to do with that. You’re missing a key part of the context. So yes the behaviors may be the “same” but, given context it’s completely different.

18. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    Yes because that’s exactly what he was trying to equate, and yes it doesn’t make sense does it? Trump supporters are hateful of people for the skin tone, ethnicity, etc etc, and those that have those skin tones or ethnicity’s wanting to have nothing to do with those people is vey different than Trump supporters wanting to have nothing do with you because you talked smack about Trump. It’s nonsense even when someone puts forward such a ridiculous argument.

Honestly it can’t be taken seriously and I was pointing out that it would be like saying Jews in Nazi Germany would be performing the same behavior as Nazis by excluding Nazis…. When that’s just nonsense but his reasoning was the same.

19. jonnyboy

Again, what fucking planet are you guys living on??? Like what in the actual fuck? Where are all these crazy people who want all the gays and minorities dead? Do you understand how insane shit like this sounds?
    At this point you guys are just using the most grandiose of claims to justify your own hatred for political rivals. Your hysteria isn’t justified so you have to gin up the severity of the “bad guys” on the other side to make your own hatred appear justified.

CJ_is_Gone likes this.
  20. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Newsmax Deletes Post Criticizing Trump’s ‘Animals’ Comment After It Sparks Internal Furor and Wrath of MAGA Right

Newsmax deleted a post on the social media platform X about former President Donald Trump after it incurred the wrath of readers and sparked an internal panic at the conservative cable network.

The post, on the platform formerly known as Twitter, linked to a Newsmax page that housed a Reuters wire service story on Trump’s latest comments about undocumented immigrants and crime.

The Newsmax story is titled, “Trump Calls Migrants Animals in Michigan Stop.” It points out that according to studies, “people living in the U.S. illegally do not commit violent crimes at a higher rate than native-born citizens.”

Newsmax posted the story to X with a caption that was also taken from Reuters, and read: “Donald Trump called immigrants in the United States illegally ‘animals’ and ‘not human’ in a speech in Michigan, resorting to the degrading rhetoric he has employed time and again on the campaign trail.”

The post sparked fury on the online right and a panic within Newsmax, since Trump supporters have insisted he was referring only to immigrants who commit crimes as sub-human.

Trump’s comments that the Reuters story was based on were muddled, and came during a general rant about migrants seeking access to the United States at the southern border. While commenting on the killing of Laken Riley this week, Trump said she was “barbarically murdered by an illegal alien animal.”

He continued: “The Democrats say, ‘Please don’t call them animals, say humans.’ I said, ‘No, they’re not humans. … They’re animals.’ Nancy Pelosi told me that. She said, ‘Please don’t use the word animals, sir, when you’re talking about these people.’ I said, ‘I’ll use the word animal because that’s what they are.’”

After an outcry on X, Newsmax deleted the tweet. Newsmax anchor Rob Schmitt posted on the platform — in a since deleted tweet — that a “low level social media staffer” was responsible for the initial post.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/newsmax...parks-internal-furor-and-wrath-of-maga-right/