Are the Blazers better without Zach Randolph?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by rafy, Mar 23, 2007.

1. rafy

rafy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">NEW YORK -- The Trail Blazers' locker room had nearly emptied Thursday, leaving only Jarrett Jack and LaMarcus Aldridge with their thoughts. And it was as if they could read the minds of Blazers fans, for the two youngsters were quick to snuff what they felt was a growing conspiracy regarding the team's play without Zach Randolph.

Indeed, the Blazers had just handled the upstart New York Knicks 92-86 at Madison Square Garden, running their record to 3-0 this season without the services of Randolph, their leading scorer and rebounder. And it was the second consecutive win since earlier this week, when Randolph was given an indefinite leave of absence to attend a friend's funeral.

But after fielding a variety of questions regarding the team's sudden resurgence, Jack and Aldridge got to the point. </div>

Source

I think we need to drop the pretense. We need to ship Randolph out. We need to give that time to our younger guys. We're moving into a more up and down paced, a mix of the Supes/Suns. Randolph just isn't a good fit anymore.

I recognize that he's matures a lot, and he's brought a lot to the table. But right now the best thing that could happen is trade him while his value is as high as it is right now.

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

What would you want in return for Randolph?

3. rafy

rafy JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">What would you want in return for Randolph?</div>

Anything. Frankly I'd take a VC or AI deal. I'd even waive him if it wasn't for the cap. Frankly, the way I see it. We don't need anything, all we need is time.

For me, the only two constants for the future are Aldridge and Pryzbilla. You can consider Randolph, LaFrentz, Magloire and Miles to be gone in the near future imo. Noah, Yi and Thabeet really interest me for our potential front court. Because we need some mobile big guys who can run with Jack/Rodriguez.

I mean, Randolph has had a few chances for an all-star spot. Magloire was an all-star. Miles does have a considerable amount of athletic talent. And well 'Frentz, he's trash. But he's still a big man with an outside game. Unfortunately, I don't see a team stupid enough to pull the trigger for anyone except Magloire, but his contract is done; so we may very well have to just let him go for nothing. Which is why it was a mistake not trading him earlier, while we could still get something.

IMO We need to upgrade our front court. And I'm really high on the big men in the draft, so I wouldn't mind getting picks. But hell, we'd be lucky to get cap.

There really isn't too many front court guys that I think would benefit the team. So, I'm really leaning for us to have a strong draft. But if we were to ship Randolph, I would expect slightly less than a borderline all-star. I'd be more than happy with Margette's, but there's no way that would happen.

For all the Randolph trading I'm for. He's still borderline all-star, if not a snub.