Are the Hopes to High?

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Mamba, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

As much as I love the Wizards, do we have our hopes to high..Wiz fan's have been saying we should make the playoffs now for atleast 3 years in a row and we have done nothing to disappoint. I am trying not to get my hopes up to high because I dont want to see this season become another failure..I still think we are capable of the playoffs though..what are your thoughts?

Kobe 8 Ball

2. N4S

N4S BBW Member

I'm sorry but I still do think that the Wiz will be in the bottom of the eastern conference even with the few additions of Jamison and Peeler. They also didn't make any kinda splash in the draft this year. The Wiz have pretty much had the same problem as the 76ers in the past few years with having potential at the center position but never had any luck when it counted. I was always a Tarheel fan and had high hopes for my boy Brendan but he never had a big outcome like he did in the NCAA. The teams does have alot of streaky scorers as well and some young promising talent but I think they'll struggle 1-2 more years before the hit the playoff plateau.

3. JKiDD05NeTs

JKiDD05NeTs JBB JustBBall Member

Yea Wizards are stuck with a lot of mid-level talent. Gilbert Arenas was supposed to be a big accquistion, but he's got no help with him. They need to start having better drafts and off-seasons to make this team a contender. Takes awhile to erase the sting from trading Rip Hamilton to Detroit for Jerry Stackhouse.

4. Mamba

What are you talking about? Arenas has no help..did we lose Larry Hughes and Antawn Jamison? Possibly Kwame also? We have plenty of talent, it is just young and needs to mature to the game..I dont think there is a question for playoff contention...but I dont know if we can make them because lately the Wizards have under acheived due to injuries and players not performming..

5. FFSBasketball

FFSBasketball JBB JustBBall Member

8 Ball, don't listen to them. They aren't Wizards fans, so what do they know?

Anyway - here's how it really stands. Ernie Grunfeld came in and has made some great moves - but I think we're still about 2-3 years away from serious contention in the East. We may hold our own this year, but there's a couple things that have to happen. First, no injuries. Last year was horrible. Second, Kwame's gotta step up. Third, Arenas has to mature. And fourth, the young'ns gotta get with the program. Jeffries and Hayes have to show they weren't blown picks.

But like I said, we're still just into the Grunfeld Era - Unseld's been running this team for a while, and the change will be a breath of fresh air for the organization. But we gotta be patient. It does tell you something's different though, when a Wiz (Bullets) fan has some hope for the upcoming season.

So sure, hope, be like a fan of any other team ('cept maybe GS and the Clips) that can go into a season expecting the very best. Just don't be too disappointed when one of the 4 things I listed above don't happen, and we miss by a little. Because, the Grunfeld Era has just begun, and we may see the payoff from his work in about 2 years.

6. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting FFSBasketball:</div><div class="quote_post">8 Ball, don't listen to them. They aren't Wizards fans, so what do they know?
    </div>
    No I want to listen to them, I want their opinion..but since they arent Wizard fans I am just trying to fill them in...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Anyway - here's how it really stands. Ernie Grunfeld came in and has made some great moves - but I think we're still about 2-3 years away from serious contention in the East. We may hold our own this year, but there's a couple things that have to happen. First, no injuries. Last year was horrible. Second, Kwame's gotta step up. Third, Arenas has to mature. And fourth, the young'ns gotta get with the program. Jeffries and Hayes have to show they weren't blown picks.</div>
    1- I completely agree with you..we would of been in the playoffs last year if Stackhouse, Hughes, and Arenas could all stay healthy AT THE SAME TIME. The couple of games they played healthy together were amazing and were a sign of what could have been. I think if we can stay injury free then we wil seriously make a playoff push. I also agree we are 2-3 years away from serious contention in the east, but who knows anything can happen. [​IMG]

2- I agree..If Kwame can put up 15 and 10 this year I will know he is going to be good in the league, if he cant do that he will be another Joe Smith, Hyped to be amazing but never live up to the potential.

3- I think we will see a more mature Arenas this year. I expect him to take the role of leader on the team, he is making a ton of money to lead us and that is what he is going to do. Jamison is going to help him and then I think during the 2nd half we will see Arenas really come into his own as a man and a player.

4- Jeffries was a wasted pick. I am convinced, he would have to do a lot to unconvince me. As for Hayes, he is only going to be a 2nd year player so I havent given up on him. He was an all rookie 2nd teamer and has a nice shot. If he can find a consistent rythmn in his shot he should be able to help out this Wizards team a lot.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">But like I said, we're still just into the Grunfeld Era - Unseld's been running this team for a while, and the change will be a breath of fresh air for the organization. But we gotta be patient. It does tell you something's different though, when a Wiz (Bullets) fan has some hope for the upcoming season.</div>

Grunfeld has done a lot with this team already in his short time here..I hope we can lock him up for awhile.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">So sure, hope, be like a fan of any other team ('cept maybe GS and the Clips) that can go into a season expecting the very best. Just don't be too disappointed when one of the 4 things I listed above don't happen, and we miss by a little. Because, the Grunfeld Era has just begun, and we may see the payoff from his work in about 2 years.</div>

Yea that is why I am not getting my hopes to high..I dont want to be disappointed..if Kwame can produce and Arenas mature as a player I will be happy because I think that will solidify us with a bright future.. [​IMG]

7. FFSBasketball

FFSBasketball JBB JustBBall Member

Also, think about it this way. The other people that came in here said they don't expect much from us. So if we don't do well, we met expectations. If we can make a splash, even if we don't make the playoffs, we'll have exceeded them, and have laid the foundation for good things for years to come.

8. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I dont have much hope for the wiz unless brown can finally come through. He is the x factor to any hope of having a successful seasonf ro them. I just realised they reunited the jamison arenas combo that almost got the warriors to the playoffs. I see them having a season like the warriors did and just missing the playoffs if brown doesnt come through.

The larry hughes thing really is not working out for them and I hate to say that because he is one of my faovrite players, but he is basically lost in the wiz team he is to inconsistant and doesnt have enough depth to his game to offer them a real weapon. I think he would be a valuable trade peace for them though not much more.

Hayes will be a great player this season for them also I can speak from experence if they still have Baxter on the team (I remember they signed him after he was waived by toronto not sure how long) he will be a huge peace for them. He was playing great in our summer league for the bulls then he got traded and lost himself, but he was really coming around.

9. JKiDD05NeTs

JKiDD05NeTs JBB JustBBall Member

They could turn and maybe be a sleeper. I just don't think there's enough offense there at the moment. Brown has never really been consistent, and Arenas is gonna put up 35 point games everyday.

10. Sex Panther

Sex Panther works every time.

Ask.
    ^whaa??

I personally think a lot of Wiz fans set the bar a little too high considering the fact that Arenas, Stackhouse, and Hughes barely ever gotto play with eachother. Antawn Jamison is a big addition to the team. But there is also a chance that the wizards make the playoffs as the East's 4-8 slots are basically up for grabs. If all goes well this year, and injuries are reduced to a minimum, I could see them possible taking the 8th spot. But if they don't make it, it's fine because there is a lot of talent in this team and we have a lot of core players.

11. S.Livingston14

S.Livingston14 JBB JustBBall Member

My hopes are just to make the playoffs. And IMO that isn't too high this team is a young but not too young talented team, that i capable of making one of the lower seeds(7,8). I think Antawn Jamison will step up as the leader of this team and lead us to the playoffs.

12. eYeKey

eYeKey JBB JustBBall Member

What else can we do besides hope? When you are a loyal fan of an organization that hasn't played in a playoff game since '97, hasn't won a playoff series since '83 and hasn't won a playoff game since the late 80's despite often having more talent than some of the teams that were in the playoffs....what else can you do besides hope that it turns around one day? Even the NFL Rams turned it around...there has to be hope! [​IMG]

13. CF05332036

CF05332036 JBB JustBBall Member

You guys set your standards too low.. Injuries killed the Wiz last year, they probably would have made the playoffs with a healthy lineup. This year they are more talented and Kwame and Gil are a year older. I can't name four teams in the east that i think are better then the wizards. If Kwame can get the ball, he will come around. Arenas and Jamison make one of the top 1 2 punches in the league. Tell me 8 teams out east that are better then the wizards...

The only 3 teams clearly better are pistons, pacers, heat. The rest of the east is at best on par with the Wiz... Here are my predicted standings out east

1. Indiana
    2. Detroit
    3. Miami
    4. Philli
    5. Wiz
    6. Knicks
    7. Cavs
    8. Nets

14. Johnny33

Johnny33 JBB JustBBall Member

The Wiz won't get anywhere until Arenas learns to pass the ball. If he doesn't, expect a lot of locker room bickering when the frontcourt players want a chance to score points too - and not missed 3 pointers from Arenas. He had some HORRIBLE 3/15 shooting games last season!!

15. slicknick33

slicknick33 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kobe 8 Ball:</div><div class="quote_post">
    Jeffries was a wasted pick. I am convinced, he would have to do a lot to unconvince me. As for Hayes, he is only going to be a 2nd year player so I havent given up on him. He was an all rookie 2nd teamer and has a nice shot. If he can find a consistent rythmn in his shot he should be able to help out this Wizards team a lot.
    </div>

Ok i think you are 100% wrong on this one, and i can understand why... I had all of the same feelings about both of these players(and they havent changed with Hayes, he will be good) But Jefferies is miss understood in TONS of peoples eyes, he didnt have a rookie season due to injury(only played in 20 games) So last year was his rookie season(pretty much) when he did play he is full of energy, and can rebound really well! I promise you, that he will prove to you this season that he was not a wasted pick! You have to have skills to grab 17 boards on a given night!

I have my hopes up higher than they have ever been, and i wont let one person tell me they are too high... The Wizards WILL make the playoffs, and Kwame Brown will be good this year! If not someone can say i told u so, but when it does happen i will be able to say that to them!

16. og15

og15 JBB *********

Definately not, and anyone that thinks otherwise is crazy.

Let me break it down:

The Wizards won 25 games last year

Arenas played 55 games, and was playing injured for about 20-30 of those games. He might have put up 20-5-5, but this was on of his worst season's of his career, not bad for a horrible season is it.

Jerry Stackhouse playded 26 games, and when he played he was worse for the team than he was good. He also played injured for part of his games.

Larry Hughes played 61 games last season, out of all the stars he playd the most, and he still missed 21 games, yea that's how bad it was.

All three of the perimeter players needed the ball in their hands, and especially Stackhouse who is shooting deficient.

Now this year:

Arenas has been working in the summer, and he doesn't have anymore abdominal problems, which means a 20-4-7 year is extremely likely for him.

Stackhouse is gone, therefore only Arenas and Hughes need the ball in their hands, Jamison doesn't need the ball in his hands to score, he just needs the dump down low for the throw in.

We can hope Larry Hughes will be healthy, but even if he only plays about 65 games, Arenas and Jamison being healthy will cover that. Also Jarvis Hayes is there as his backup, and he'll fit in very nicely.

Kwame Brown should improve to about a 14 and 8 players this season. Last season he showed on thing: He's a great man to man post defender, now he has to show the rest.

The Wizards have a nice group of big men, Kwame, Haywood, Thomas, and Ruffin will be one of the finer big men groups in the league.

Even Hoopshype in their pre-season rankings placed the Wizards at 8th in the East. No injuries, no problems equals 2nd in the Southeast, and a playoff berth.

17. Premium

Premium JBB I'm kind of a big deal

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting FFSBasketball:</div><div class="quote_post">8 Ball, don't listen to them. They aren't Wizards fans, so what do they know?

</div>

LOL! what an ignorant statement. so in order to have an educated opinion on a team or a player you have to be a "fan". get real [​IMG]

on subject i think in the east its entirely possible that the wiz could make the playoffs. they have size which is something most teams in the east dont have. of course they are an injury away from falling out of playoff contention, but which team isnt? a torn ACL for shaq and miami are in the lottery. if the wiz stay healthy, they are a good looking team. the east is wide open.

18. N4S

N4S BBW Member

What the heck are Washington fans doing with high hopes for this upcoming season?
    This team pretty much only added Jamison and lost their best player in Stackhouse. Kwame is going to be the same bum as last past few years and the team will not make the playoffs once again.

Washington = Next Lottery

19. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Need4Sheed:</div><div class="quote_post">What the heck are Washington fans doing with high hopes for this upcoming season?
    This team pretty much only added Jamison and lost their best player in Stackhouse. Kwame is going to be the same bum as last past few years and the team will not make the playoffs once again.

Washington = Next Lottery</div>

LMAO omg dude that is the greatest post in Washington Wizard's Forum History..if there was a thread to put these kinds of posts in...LMAO Stackhouse their best player..that truley shows how much you know about basketball, mainly hte Wizards..and only Added Jamison..correct me if Im wrong but they got a deadly 3 pt shooter in Peeler and a 7 ft. 3 Center that is going to be part of their future..tehy are one of the most improved teams in the leauge..go ask anyone [​IMG]

20. Premium

Premium JBB I'm kind of a big deal

hmm...i dont know about one of the most improved teams in the league, but i agree...they are improved.

this to me does not look like the starting line up for a lottery team:

pg:gilbert arenas
    sg: larry huges
    sf: Jarvis hayes/antawn jamison
    pf: antawn jamison/kwame brown
    c: Kwame brown/brendan haywood

off the bench: etan thomas, anthony peeler, juan dixon, jared jeffries, jarvis hayes (depending on whos starting where)

looks like a decent team to me on paper at least. hardly seems like an obvious lottery team. id be hyped if i was a wiz fan too. especially since jarvis had such a great rookie year. the great play of jarvis was kinda lost because of all the hype surrounding bron, melo, wade and even bosh and hinrich were making more waves. jarvis had a really solid year and should develop into a very nice player. why not be excited if your a wiz fan? you guys have a young team with a young coach. it can only get better from here