Are we looking better without Lillard?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BrunoSOC, Jan 12, 2018.

1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

The team is inconsistent. They team played well without him and is playing bad with him because the team is inconsistent. Stotts is at fault for that.

Stotts needs to get them playing with faster pace in general. Playing with pace is extremely important in The NBA unless you have a halfcourt offense with many threats and good ball movement. We so neither.

2. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

You can't just dismiss a personnel pattern on the basis of inconsistency of the whole.

3. BonesJones

What? The whole team is inconsistent, yes?

They played good in maybe 2 games without Damian. That's not a pattern.

DameLill379 likes this.
  4. DameLill379

DameLill379 #DameTime

Blazer and Jet fan
    Just about this^

They stepped up in 2-3 games and it’s honestly just because CJ McCullom got hot and put up about 30+ complimented by Napier’s emergence. I think Harkless and Aminu put up 15 once or twice and that was the main reason. The Spurs didn’t play Tony Parker, Danny Green or Kawhi Leonard and we beat them only by 1 point. Peopel call that getting better without Damian Lillard? We beat a middle of the pack OKC team, bottom 5 Chicago Bulls team, 76ers by only 4, and a young Lakers team by 3...scraping by bottom feeding team/middle of the pack teams without Lillard really doesn’t “WOW” me. Sorry. Guys are talking on here like we were blowing teams out without Lillard lol. What? Nonsense man...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  5. BrunoSOC

BrunoSOC Ripcity from Brazil

He's shooting 34% for 3. Thats trash. He's taken so many bad shots so far this year.

6. DameLill379

DameLill379 #DameTime

Blazer and Jet fan
    So has everyone else..this statement doesn’t correlate directly from our W-L record. We haven’t convincingly beat anyone without Lillard for this claim to be made lol

7. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

I really do not think we have "plenty of talent" to be anything more than a treadmill team, and given our salary cap situation we are in a box and appear stuck unless there is a decision to blow it up, I don't disagree about Stotts, time for a change there as well IMO

8. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

This thread =

[​IMG]

BBert, riverman and e_blazer like this.
  9. handiman

Again, you're looking at only this year and ignoring the pattern of the past 3 or 4.

A treadmill team sans its borderline all-star should be a lot better than .500 with said player in the mix. We have enough talent to be competitive without Lillard, so why are we the definition of average with him?

10. roroyo

roroyo Active Member

We've been talking a lot if Lillard and CJ should or can play together. And now I think we've got even bigger problem. Can anyone in this team play with Lillard. And it's not about Lillard, it's about how this team was built. Can any other player play on his level? It's not about talent. I'm talking about sense of urgency, commitment, being professional bball player, being hungry.

So who we got?

I mean, I see huge difference in commitment in Lillard and Harkless. It's obvious that Lillard would NEVER go for 500 bonus, because he is on different level of playing basketball for this team.

Do Blazers have any guys ready for playing for Championship with sense of urgency Lillard have? Or do we just have a team of young millionaires, happy with what they have and not being professional enough? I'm not saying everyone apart of Lillard is like that, it wouldn't be fair, but sometimes it's like Stotts is just not the rite man for kindergarten. Kids just don't listen to him:)

My first post here was about veterans and I still think thats our biggest problem. Someone told me, that 1977 Champs were so young too. Well, people were different those days I would say, or maybe those guys were special.

So my assumption is this: Is this team better w/o Lillard? Hell no. Is this team happier without him? Maybe. They can just relax and play. Most of them are here for money anyway.

11. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Listening to Colin Cowherd (and Chris Broussard) today talking about how much the different the Lakers look when Lonzo Ball is with the team vs when he's out injured. They gushed over how Lonzo doesn't really have highlight games, and doesn't really have any highlight plays, but somehow simply makes his teammates look better (when he's healthy, which seems increasingly uncommon these days). They concluded that his teammates play with more energy when he's out there with them, knowing that he will consistently get them the ball where they need it when they're open--something they can't count on when anyone else is running the team.

Listening to that conversation, it was pretty much impossible for me to not mentally contrast that with a lot of the commentary in this thread about Lillard, in which it is intimated that his teammates essentially do the opposite. Yes, I understand that "if players play worse/with less energy when Dame is on the floor, then that is on those players," but if there is in fact any validity to these suggestions, at what point is it on Dame to recognize the effect his play and style might have on his teammates, and potentially adjust slightly in order to elevate the team as a whole?

handiman and WillG like this.
  12. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Dame needs a breakout game in the worst way. He's been shooting like shit from 3 since he got back. He's better than a 34% shooter-- I have no confidence in his WIDE OPEN looks anymore. It's no longer his shot selection that is bringing his %s down-- he simply can't hit an outside shot.

A nice lil 40 point no turnover game toinght would set a lot of this convo right.

BrunoSOC likes this.
  13. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    The team has turned to shit since trading Plums.

MarAzul likes this.
  14. handiman

You mean since Nurk broke his leg.

BonesJones likes this.
  15. BonesJones

Other years we played naff Kings teams, or a Cavs team that threw the game because they wanted Blatt fired... etc.

16. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    In my opinion where Dame needs to improve is reducing his turnovers. He has been turning the ball over WAY too much!

17. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I'll take 31-7-5 with only 1 turnover and at least 50% shooting from everywhere in a comfy win.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  18. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

19. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    Oyour still here.gif
    Mod's...... It's obvious......Lock This. Too much love for Dame!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    dviss1 and BonesJones like this.
  20. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

You have to admit reading this is fucking hilarious. What is even funnier is some of these guys will actually try to rationalize their responses.

Everyone knows Noah Vonleh was holding this team back!:smiley-195517897341

dviss1 and BonesJones like this.