Are we "now" better then last years playoff team?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Blazinaway, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

I would of never considered asking this even a few weeks ago but with the addition of Nurk and most of the guys playing well, are we now better than the team that went to the playoffs last year? This is a screwy bunch that lost horribly to New Orleans then beat SA and the Hawks on the road playing their best Bball of the season. If we can play at somewhat close to the level of the last two games are we better than last yrs team going into the playoffs?

2. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Short Answer:

Yes.

Long answer:

Yes Sir.

3. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

I think we are right there with last year team the way we play last 2 games. We are better at center. If remember this about that time that Harkless and Aminu was partner at foward position. This year is Harkless and Vonleh so is the question is Vonleh better than Aminu last year and I say he getting there but I have to say no. Aminu was huge last part of the season last year. But with Aminu coming off the bench with ET and Crabbe I think our bench is stronger than last year at this time. So overall I believe we are better team but we now have to focus like last year team.

RipCityDSCPL, lawai'a and Dougnsalem like this.
  4. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    We've got just as much, if not more, talent. The question is; is the mental focus there; is the team all on the same page?

5. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Having Nurkic at the 5 raises this team to a higher level, IMO. I loved Plumlee's hustle and hard work, but he's undersized. Starting him with Aminu, who is an undersized PF, and CJ, a short 2G, put the Blazers at a disadvantage against most playoff teams.

RipCityDSCPL, TBpup and Orion Bailey like this.
  6. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Almost...once Turner has gotten in sync with Nurkic we'll definitely be better...as it is...Gerald Henderson was balling second half last season going into the playoffs...Turner was getting there before the hand break.

8. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

We are more balanced, it's a shame we started so bad.

9. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Looking at this year's season I would say most ANY teams, not just playoffs, but agreed.
    Nurk combined with Turner's added ball handling, if we get growth from Vonleh to be a 12/8 guy who provides solid defense and can guard the 3,4 & 5 and we get Crabbe to produce 12/3/4 consistently and can also provide solid defense at the 2-3 spot. We might just be looking pretty damned good long term. some tweaks here and there to improve the roster, and we will have the flexibility to do so because of the picks we have.
    We can go into the draft focusing on best player available, rather than player of need, and then next year before the trade deadline, evaluate and if we need to, use one or two of those guys combined with Crabbe or Turner or Leonard or whoever in order to fill the deficiency.

I think we all know that if this team does well down the stretch and makes the playoffs, NO and PA will not want to make many changes to the bulk of the core and I think THEY will think the core consists of the following:

Dame/Turner
    CJ/Crabbe
    Harkless
    Vonleh
    Nurk

I would put Aminu on the fence because of his D and friendly contract.

I think they will draft young talent and use them in combination with any of the following players: Ezeli, Laymen, Napier, Connaughton, Leonard, Davis, Aminu(if its the right trade), Vonleh(ONLY if the return is a massive and instant upgrade).

What if we pulled some sort of trade like this though and nailed Trevor Booker From Brooklyn?

Pacers get:

Crabbe(Ptld)... $18.5
    Foye(Ind)....$2.5

Nets get:

Young (Ind)...$14.2
    Vonleh(Ptld)...$2.8

Blazers get:

Booker(Bkln)...$9.3
    LeVert(Bkln)...$1.6

We shed a bit of salary and improve our starting PF position. We get Levert back to fill Crabbes shoes and will allow Napier to run a bit of Point next to Turner and CJ with Crabbe out of the mix.

Booker is a very solid defender.

NOT a HUGE change, but a decent mid season tweak next year that might just be the final piece.

I would also like to see the team toss a mill or two at an end of bench guy with championship experience. A Paul Pierce type of guy. Someone who knows what to do during times of adversity, in order to overcome and win. A locker room leader to help Dame out.

10. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

That doesn't mean we'll have as much success. Two different things

11. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

Yeah, I think most of us know if we make the playoffs we likely are to be gentlemenly swept.

Nikolokolus likes this.
  12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

At 21, I'm on the Vonleh bandwagon until he shows me he's slowing down...I think his upside is everything we want in a power forward. CJ sat on the bench his first two years and blossomed second year against Memphis in the first round...now is Vonleh's opportunity to do that...if we make the playoffs, we'll find out soon enough who shows up and who doesn't.

13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'm not afraid of the Spurs today if we face them...both San Antonio and Golden State look tired going into the playoffs...face it...getting out of the first round would be a huge upset for the contenders. I think both SA and GS would rather see Denver right now than us.

14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Nurk has never been to the playoffs...it's worth the price of admission just to see him play on the big stage...he likes the stage from what I've seen.

15. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

We certainly do have a better playoff constructed team than Denver. Still I say our cap is a 6 game series with either GS/SA, and that is okay. Getting Nurk some playoff experience will be a good thing, and we all get to watch the Blazers for extra games.

16. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I agree with this except we don't have Davis healthy with our 2nd unit. But I think we can get there if Vonleh continues to get back up minute at center AND if Leonard plays less at the 3 pt line and more around the free throw line. Last night was a good example in just 3 minutes. Missed his 1 wide open attempt from deep, but hit his 1 more difficult shot from mid range. Maybe play him closer to the basket? (Plus limit his minutes to 8-10 max unless Nurk is in foul trouble)

stampedehero likes this.
  17. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Im confused. How do you know he likes the stage if hes never been there? That wording. Ha.

18. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

He's talking about the private stage in his basement. I'm surprised Nurkic ever escaped.

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

He photo bombs every post game interview...I love it...guy has no stage fright..sort of anti Lamarcus

20. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Nurks dad must have been on payroll for that to actually be a thing.