Arenas not scared

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Mamba, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Washington Wizards' season doesn't begin for another month, but Gilbert Arenas is already back to his usual antics.
    Arenas, who last year picked the Wizards (25-57) to reach the playoffs, again said the team will make the playoffs and, in the process, challenge Shaquille O'Neal and the Miami Heat for division title in the new Southeast Division.
    "I know everybody is thinking Shaquille O'Neal is going to do everything for Miami, but I think they got rid of too many people to get him," he said. "If they are at the top, it's going to be us or them that are going to win the division. Of course, everybody has to stay healthy."</div>

This is the mentality I love. He isnt afraid of the Heat, and honestly I dont think he shouldnt be. I too think they will contend for the Division crown, but we will see if everybody can stay healthy.

Arenas not scared

2. Dr. H.H. Holmes

Dr. H.H. Holmes JBB JustBBall Member

Everything he said was true, people are giving Miami way too much credit, just because they got Shaq. Shaq may dominate his position but the rest of the team is vulnerable with no depth. As long as we stay healthy, I think we may suprise alot of people.

3. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

The Wiz did not make enough additions.....

How will they go from 25-57 to making the playoffs. You have to be at or near .500 in the east. Arenas hasn't proven anything throughout his career. He's like a more mature Carmelo, making guarantees and not following through.

4. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Actually 10 games under 500 will likely get you in a playoff spot in the east this year, the Wizards turning from 25 win team to playoffs shouldn't be that hard. Had they stayed heathly last year, I'm convinced they would of made it. They had so many injures, Arenas being the main guy out. Antawn Jamison is exactly the kind of guy they need to score and rebound inside, in the end though the Wizards playoff hopes all depend on how Kwame has improved.

I agree completely with Arenas about Miami, they are being more overhyped by their own fans than the Lakers so called fab four were last year. They have Shaq but him and Wade will not get the job done against two much better defensive teams in Detroit and Indiana.

They just don't really have enough firepower nor are they that good defensively to win the east. Because of the way the divisions are done this year they will likely make the 2nd round by default and maybe the conference finals but If they meet Detroit or Indiana in the conference finals they will not win out. They would have a much better chance against the Pacers though.

5. Dr. H.H. Holmes

Dr. H.H. Holmes JBB JustBBall Member

They didn't need to make many additions, we have a young developing team. We had enough to make the playoffs last year but we were plagued by injuries. Only in 3 games did our actual starters play together. Thats why I said as long as we stay healthy.

** Posted this before I saw yours Allnet. I completely agree with you.**

6. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">in the end though the Wizards playoff hopes all depend on how Kwame has improved.</div>

That does not inspire much confidence.

7. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Jurassic:</div><div class="quote_post">That does not inspire much confidence.</div>
    You obviously dont pay attention much in the offseason, he is an 7 feet tall, has put on 5 more pounds of muscle at least and was hitting jumpers with consistency before his injury, which should not affect him at all..it inspires a lot of confidence if you want teh truth.

8. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Jurassic:</div><div class="quote_post">That does not inspire much confidence.</div>

Kwame showed alot of promise last year, he dropped 29 and 18 on Chris Webber I think It was. The guy has got all the tools and showed flashes last year. The Wizards need to get him the ball alot more, no more of Gilbert Arenas setting up his own offense and forgetting about going inside first. Wizards really need to find a way to move Gilbert to the off guard, thats where his talents are best used.

9. Mamba

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AllNet:</div><div class="quote_post">Kwame showed alot of promise last year, he dropped 29 and 18 on Chris Webber I think It was. The guy has got all the tools and showed flashes last year. The Wizards need to get him the ball alot more, no more of Gilbert Arenas setting up his own offense and forgetting about going inside first. Wizards really need to find a way to move Gilbert to the off guard, thats where his talents are best used.</div>

Get it right damnit: 30 and 19 :mrgreen: ..lol just messing with you...

Your exactly right, he needs the ball more..his biggest quarters are always the 1st n 3rd, they go away from him in the 2nd and 4th. They would win a lot more games if they went to him consistently throughout the game, and I think we will be seeing that more this year.

10. S.Livingston14

S.Livingston14 JBB JustBBall Member

I think Gilberts head is getting a little big, but I guess this team could use some pub like that. I don't think they will be able to compete on the level of the Heat, but I see a playoff appearance.

11. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

Come on guys, we are talking about Kwame Brown here.......Kwame Brown!! Arguably the worst 2nd worst overall pick of all time (Sam Bowie being the first).

If your playoff hopes are based on a player that has proven NOTHING in the past. Then there is a serious problem. He is young, still raw, and while he is learning to play the post he is not a cosistant threat from there. MJ is smart enough to show interest in young players with talent. Yet, when he was playing with the Wiz MJ always treated Kwame like crap.

The Wizards aren't going to make the playoffs anyway. Assuming that the Nets lose their spot this year, it will be taken by either the 6ers or the Cavs. And actually, the Magic will make it this year as well, so the Wiz really have no chance.

12. Miami's Finest

Miami's Finest JBB JustBBall Member

About our defense: if anyone watched the Pacers series they knew that our defense was the only thing keeping us in the game (esp. when our offense was having scoring droughts for 4 minutes in every game). And yes Pat Riley/SVG teams take defense just as seriously as Larry Brown and the Pistons do.

About the Heat lacking good enough players: The Heat didn't have much talented players last year but they had a team and that alone got us very far. Now we add players that have talent SVG will whip em into team players and they will benefit from it. And while they may not rack up PPG (because they don't jack up shots, they land em) only 2 players shoot below 40% from the field.

As for injuries: Injuries are unpredictable but Wade and Shaq have never missed a playoff game or been injured when it counts (correct me if I'm mistaken but don't be an a-hole about it).

If the Heat are overhyped, then I guess Detroit is overhyped because they beat the Lakers in 5 but the Nets took em to 7 games, the Pacers to 6, and the Bucks took em to 5. These teams are arguably weaker than the Lakers and most teams in the West yet they gave the Pistons a tougher time than the Lakers did (cept for the bucks that took em to 5). You'd think if the Pistons can beat the almightly Lakers in 5 then all these teams would've been easily swept. But that's not the case.

It's good to see that Arenas is not sweating any teams this year though, much props.

Jus my 2 pennies

13. Mr.Wade

Mr.Wade JBB The Canadian Dream

Damn right heatfan... props, amen...

Heat rule, we can win the championship if we are hungry enough... it's in our reach, and we're NOT overhyped.

How can you be overhyped. Shaq isn't overrated, he turns ANY team into a contender. and I mean ANY TEAM.

14. jbbReal Deal

jbbReal Deal Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Mr.Wade:</div><div class="quote_post">Damn right heatfan... props, amen...

Heat rule, we can win the championship if we are hungry enough... it's in our reach, and we're NOT overhyped.

How can you be overhyped. Shaq isn't overrated, he turns ANY team into a contender. and I mean ANY TEAM.</div>
    Did he turn the Lakers into a contender?

The Lakers, in 1994-1995, won 48 games. Pretty good.

In 1995-1996, they won 53 games and were a huge threat to take it in the West. Pretty good.

When Shaq arrived a year later (and Kobe only playing 8 minutes a game), the Lakers only won 3 more games (56 wins) that year than the previous year without Shaq. Four years later, with a new coach (Jackson) and Kobe seeing 35+ minutes of playing time, the Lakers win a ring.

I don't think the Wizards will give the Heat a test, and I see the Heat grabbing the 3rd seed, but the Pacers and Pistons aren't overrated. The Pistons beat the Lakers last year because they found a way to keep the ball away from Shaq...and that's by double and triple teaming Kobe and to clog the passing lane between Kobe and Shaq. Don't think for one second that the Pistons won't do the same to the Heat.

Good luck Wizards, but Kwame will really need to breakout of his shell this year for them to make a run against the Heat.

15. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Gilbert and Antawn are a nice combo but I think there is too much competition ahead of the Wizards. Toronto, Cleaveland, Milwaukee, Boston all have better chances than the Wizards in amking the playoffs. The top 4 are pretty much self explanatory

16. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Jurassic:</div><div class="quote_post">Come on guys, we are talking about Kwame Brown here.......Kwame Brown!! Arguably the worst 2nd worst overall pick of all time (Sam Bowie being the first).

If your playoff hopes are based on a player that has proven NOTHING in the past. Then there is a serious problem. He is young, still raw, and while he is learning to play the post he is not a cosistant threat from there. MJ is smart enough to show interest in young players with talent. Yet, when he was playing with the Wiz MJ always treated Kwame like crap.

The Wizards aren't going to make the playoffs anyway. Assuming that the Nets lose their spot this year, it will be taken by either the 6ers or the Cavs. And actually, the Magic will make it this year as well, so the Wiz really have no chance.</div>
    [​IMG] did you even read what everyone said, it depends on Kwame, but all the team really needs from him is about 14 points and 8 rebounds which he's clealry capable of as he had 11 and 7 last season in 30 minutes.

The teams 3 best players last season were all injured, and Arenas was injured and also playing injured. He had an abdominal ,and a groin injury, and when he had the groin injury he was limping on the court, and he wasn't even able to drive to the basket which killed his game.

Hughes also got injured last season, and Stackhouse hardly played and was also injured when he played. Also Jamison is not a guy that needs to dribble a lot to score, so it will help the team as Stackhouse needed the ball all the time and didn't work well with Arenas and Highes.

Many people underatte the Wizards, and the Heat will be good, but not as good as many think, I felt that keeping Odom and Butler and adding a capable center could do the same for the team, and even more in the future.

17. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

I can't really respect anything that you say when your sig says that Andre Miller is a top pg [​IMG] .

First off, Kwame came off the bench more than he started. To say that your playoff chances a based on a 6th man is ridiculous. Even if he starts this year, it is much different than what he has done in the past.

I could go on forever, but if people would stop and read what they are writing they would realize how stupid this is. It's Kwame Brown!

18. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Jurassic:</div><div class="quote_post">I can't really respect anything that you say when your sig says that Andre Miller is a top pg [​IMG] .

First off, Kwame came off the bench more than he started. To say that your playoff chances a based on a 6th man is ridiculous. Even if he starts this year, it is much different than what he has done in the past.

I could go on forever, but if people would stop and read what they are writing they would realize how stupid this is. It's Kwame Brown!</div>
    I guess you forgot how to count, he played 74 games and started 57 games, figure it out, wow.

Andre Miller has nothing to do with this, don't say garbage because you have no argument.

19. jbbReal Deal

jbbReal Deal Active Member

Like I said (and og15), the Wizards need Kwame. Without him, they won't be making a trip to the playoffs, simple as that.

20. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">I guess you forgot how to count, he played 74 games and started 57 games, figure it out, wow.

Andre Miller has nothing to do with this, don't say garbage because you have no argument.</div>

Man, with a player this young you cannot look at a single year. He started 23 games total in the two years before that. You have to look at his career. Last year he started most games, but has he proven that he can do that consistantly?

Besides, he started 57 games, and only averaged 30 minutes!! What does that tell you about his stamia? You can't rely on a player who sits out 1.5 quarters of the game. That means that there are 18 minutes of a bench player trying to play pf/c.

Has he proven anything? Sure you can argue all day that they wont make it without Kwame. But the fact that you are depending on him scares me.