Arenas Officially Opts Out

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Run BJM, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Gilbert Arenas said he opted out of the final year of his contract with the Washington Wizards by filing the necessary paperwork with the league office Friday. The move makes Arenas, who was scheduled to earn $12.8 million next season, an unrestricted free agent.

Teams will be able to negotiate with free agents July 1.

Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld has repeatedly stated that the team plans to re-sign Arenas and all-star forward Antawn Jamison, who will also be an unrestricted free agent.

Arenas has said that he will seek a maximum-level long-term contract, one that could cover up to six years and be worth more than $120 million. However, Arenas has also said that he would be willing to take less if it helps the team retain Jamison and make other moves to improve.

According to a provision in his contract, Arenas had until June 20 to opt out but he elected to do so last week to "get it out of the way."

Arenas, who has undergone two surgeries on his left knee since April 2007, has been working out at Verizon Center in recent days and said he plans to be at full strength in time for the opening of training camp in October.
    ad_icon

Arenas, who has not hired an agent and is representing himself, said yesterday that he does not have any visits scheduled with other teams, and he will be traveling in Asia and Europe from June 30 to July 15.</div>
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte..._sports/wizards

2. BasX

BasX I Win

Dans la ville avec cette chute d'eau énorme
    here we go, now it gets kinda interesting

3. AEM

AEM Gesundheit

Legal
    Is he really worth a max contract? From an outsider's perspective, I'd rather keep Jamison...

4. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

I'm starting to question Arenas's impact. He is a great player, no question about it, but the Wizards certainly didn't look that much worse without him this season. Obviously a healthy Arenas would have probably made the Wizards a better team this season, but how much better? I'm starting to question if he deserves a max contract. There may cheaper options, that could work out just as well for the Wizards

5. pegs

pegs My future wife.

Sign and trade for...um...something. Maybe to Boobcats for Okafur and draft pick(s)?

6. Brand New

Brand New so wavy

do the clippers have cap space to sign him?

7. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

Not a surprising move. He'll most likely go back to the Wizards. Chauncey did this too I think last year and he still signed with the Pistons. I really don't know where Arenas wants to go, where he's expecting max money. If he's willing to take a pay cut, which I know he isn't, then maybe he can get with the Cavs for a sign and trade.

8. Dark Defender

Dark Defender The Dark Passenger

Part-Time Intern, Full Time Student
    Huge risk for any team, those knees are going to scare off a lot teams.

9. Run BJM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dark Defender @ Jun 10 2008, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Huge risk for any team, those knees are going to scare a lot of teams.</div>
    Yeah I can't see him getting max with the health issues but also a big knock on him is that the Wizards appeared to be as good or better when he wasn't playing. For all of the scoring numbers he puts up hes still a very low FG% shooter, plays crappy defense, and doesn't make his teammates better.

10. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Will he try and go to a winning team for less money?

Or does he want to build his own team? (should stay at Washington in that case)

11. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

Sign at the MLE with the Lakers.
    /lakerfan

12. Run BJM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing @ Jun 10 2008, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Will he try and go to a winning team for less money?

Or does he want to build his own team? (should stay at Washington in that case)</div>
    The answer is obvious, he'll go for more money. The dude is completely full of shit. In GS he talked about how grateful he was for the W's taking him after everyone passed on him, he wants to make everyone pay for not drafting him, he did all his publicity stunts to make the fans think hes such a down to earth guy and made sure his work habits were publicized to hell, etc. etc. Then he left to take the biggest contract that was thrown at him. Which normally I'm fine with, the NBA is a business and NBA athletes should go for as much money as they can get just like we all do at our jobs. But after all that shit you still leave? After all that talk you still just bounce just like that? He blamed Warriors' owner Chris Cohan for not looking him in the eye when they were discussing re-signing him a year or two later when they had cap room but come on.

Then in Washington he pulls the same stuff. Makes sure to let the media writers know how he locks himself in the gym. Write about how he wants to shoot 20,000 jumpers or whatever the hell it was . He said a few years back that he would gladly take a paycut to help the team win but the CBA wouldn't allow it. Now look. Hes opting out of his contract (which wasn't small by any means) to go and squeeze out every cent he can again. Like I said, normally I wouldn't give a shit but why does everyone hang on this guys jock just because of what he says? Actions speak louder than words and all Gil is telling me is that he likes to run his mouth but doesn't back it up with legit loyalty when the dollar signs are at stake. Thats nice Gil, you work hard, so does Kobe, Tim Duncan, KG, etc. but you never hear them telling everyone about it. Its your fuggin job man why should I care if you work hard, you should work hard. If you really cared about winning you'd play some damn defense a few times a game, you'd try to make your teammates better, you'd take better shots so that you can crack the 42% FG mark.

Gil is a guy who says everything the fans want to hear and people just believe him because he has a blog. Its all good that you like to do nice things for the fans and you practice a lot but what the hell is that worth when you're ready to jumpship any time you can get paid more money? Stop talking about your loyalty, Gil, and show it.

13. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Run BJM @ Jun 10 2008, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing @ Jun 10 2008, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Will he try and go to a winning team for less money?

Or does he want to build his own team? (should stay at Washington in that case)</div>
    The answer is obvious, he'll go for more money. The dude is completely full of shit. In GS he talked about how grateful he was for the W's taking him after everyone passed on him, he wants to make everyone pay for not drafting him, he did all his publicity stunts to make the fans think hes such a down to earth guy and made sure his work habits were publicized to hell, etc. etc. Then he left to take the biggest contract that was thrown at him. Which normally I'm fine with, the NBA is a business and NBA athletes should go for as much money as they can get just like we all do at our jobs. But after all that shit you still leave? After all that talk you still just bounce just like that? He blamed Warriors' owner Chris Cohan for not looking him in the eye when they were discussing re-signing him a year or two later when they had cap room but come on.

Then in Washington he pulls the same stuff. Makes sure to let the media writers know how he locks himself in the gym. Write about how he wants to shoot 20,000 jumpers or whatever the hell it was . He said a few years back that he would gladly take a paycut to help the team win but the CBA wouldn't allow it. Now look. Hes opting out of his contract (which wasn't small by any means) to go and squeeze out every cent he can again. Like I said, normally I wouldn't give a shit but why does everyone hang on this guys jock just because of what he says? Actions speak louder than words and all Gil is telling me is that he likes to run his mouth but doesn't back it up with legit loyalty when the dollar signs are at stake. Thats nice Gil, you work hard, so does Kobe, Tim Duncan, KG, etc. but you never hear them telling everyone about it. Its your fuggin job man why should I care if you work hard, you should work hard. If you really cared about winning you'd play some damn defense a few times a game, you'd try to make your teammates better, you'd take better shots so that you can crack the 42% FG mark.

Gil is a guy who says everything the fans want to hear and people just believe him because he has a blog. Its all good that you like to do nice things for the fans and you practice a lot but what the hell is that worth when you're ready to jumpship any time you can get paid more money? Stop talking about your loyalty, Gil, and show it.
    </div>

I think the owners take serious advantage of most of the players most of the time. I don't blame any one of the players for getting all they can out of the owners. It's a game. When it comes time to talk contract, it's a business.

For the Bulls, it's always business and not much else.

14. Run BJM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Denny Crane @ Jun 10 2008, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Run BJM @ Jun 10 2008, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing @ Jun 10 2008, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Will he try and go to a winning team for less money?

</div>

I think the owners take serious advantage of most of the players most of the time. I don't blame any one of the players for getting all they can out of the owners. It's a game. When it comes time to talk contract, it's a business.

For the Bulls, it's always business and not much else.
    </div>
    I agree with that 100% but it doesn't bother you that Gilbert talks up a storm about how loyal he is then goes and takes the money elsewhere? Its probably more personal here because he did it to my team but at the time I didn't have any hatred for him, just for the W's for not planning ahead. As hes continued to run his mouth in Washington I've grown to dislike him. History is repeating itself.

15. DynastYWarrioR6

DynastYWarrioR6 JBB SmurfY

What are your guys' opinions on a Gilbert Arenas and Elton Brand swap?
    Not straight up of course, nor do I think the possibility of this happening is high, I was just curious. Gil would give LA a scorer/guard, and Washington would get a low post threat, have Jamison roam and do what he does best, and have Caron be Caron. I think if this happened, Washington would be scary, and LAC would be Gil with GS all over again.

So what are your guys' opinions?

16. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Run BJM @ Jun 10 2008, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Denny Crane @ Jun 10 2008, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>

For the Bulls, it's always business and not much else.</div>
    I agree with that 100% but it doesn't bother you that Gilbert talks up a storm about how loyal he is then goes and takes the money elsewhere? Its probably more personal here because he did it to my team but at the time I didn't have any hatred for him, just for the W's for not planning ahead. As hes continued to run his mouth in Washington I've grown to dislike him. History is repeating itself.
    </div>

I lived in the Bay Area for 15 years and was there when Arenas left. I wear a Warriors jacket all winter here.

I hate the CBA with a passion. The only good thing about it is that it assures the players get a fair share of the money made by the league as a whole. Everything else about it describes a form of slavery that binds the players to the teams.

In Areanas' case, the CBA worked in his favor, he had the rare opportunity to take advantage of it, and did.

Loyalty is a good thing, but when the game is now a business, the business considerations trump the loyalty.