Arenas To Appear On Cover Of NBA Live

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Ming637, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Will637 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">How selfish do you think Gilbert Arenas is?</div>

I'm sure you're trying to set me up to give me a list of all the charities he contributes to and I never said he was selfish, I am sure he is a very generous person as are a lot of professional athletes on big money.

My point is he needs to get his ego in check and get his priorities straight. His team is in a playoff series and he's calling press conferences to bignote himself over a video game cover.

2. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I heard it was confirmed that Chris Paul was going to be on the cover of NBA 2k8.

Am I the only person who caught Arenas' comments? He said that next off-season, if the Wizards aren't where it takes to be title contenders, he should leave. He's calling for managment to shake things up.

3. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

Yeah, I saw that too Mamba. I found that interesting. I was going to make another thread about it but I figured it was a long way away. If Washington isn't in the run for a championship, I wonder where he would go? No matter where he goes I'll be a fan because he is one of the coolest guys in the league.

4. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

He started saying this the last off-season saying that he'd be tempted to opt out he doesn't see a championship roster around him. The Wizards would've had a nice chance going deep in the playoffs, if Arenas and Butler were healthy, Eddie Jordan knew how to coach, and the team playing a tad bit defense. Ernie Grunfeld's one of the finest GM's in the league, emsembling the entire Knicks roster from 85-00, so I definitely trust him.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm sure you're trying to set me up to give me a list of all the charities he contributes to and I never said he was selfish, I am sure he is a very generous person as are a lot of professional athletes on big money.</div>

Yeah, I was, but I don't think a lot of athletes don't contribute as well as Gilbert does.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">My point is he needs to get his ego in check and get his priorities straight. His team is in a playoff series and he's calling press conferences to bignote himself over a video game cover.</div>

Priorities? What do you suggest he does? Train meanwhile and hope to play in game 7 of the Finals if the Wizards make it that far? Gilbert has never been considered an off-court leader, and don't think that he doesn't even care about the Wizards in the playoffs right now. He tried to physche the Cavaliers players out on their cellphones, he was behind the benches for the Wizards in games 1 and 2, he was announced along with the players in the players intro trying to give a moral boost.

I don't think a press conference for a video game wouldn't hurt at all, espicially since he's mentioned that he'd be back stronger than ever when he returns.

5. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">So, the Wizards are getting destroyed in their Eastern Conference first-round series, on the way to a humiliating sweep by Cleveland, and Arenas calls a press conference before Game 3 in Washington to congratulate himself on getting his picture on the cover of a video game?

That's a franchise player?

"Everyone knows that this is the takeover year and I took over a lot of stuff," Arenas said. "I surprised myself. I want to finish the season by saying Agent Zero is on the cover of NBA Live 2008."

"I have to pat myself on the back for that one. I have the copies of the game and I have been giving them to all my teammates. I let them know that next year, October 2, they have no choice but to look at me. Your kids, brothers, sisters, they have no choice but to look at me. I'm not only in the game, I'm on the cover of it." "Unfortunately, I've been catching glimpses of my team."

Anyway, with his Wizards fighting for survival in the Eastern Conference playoffs, Arenas left everyone with this on his NBA.com blog about the video game cover.

"Do you realize how big this is?

"They can't tell me nothin'. Mannn. Ohhh. Lorddd.

"It makes my whole rehabbing that much better now. Because while rehabbing, all I'm thinking about is 'I'm on the cover of LIVE.' "</div>

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/nba_exper...F?urn=nba,30607

6. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Sir Desmond Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm sure you're trying to set me up to give me a list of all the charities he contributes to and I never said he was selfish, I am sure he is a very generous person as are a lot of professional athletes on big money.

My point is he needs to get his ego in check and get his priorities straight. His team is in a playoff series and he's calling press conferences to bignote himself over a video game cover.</div>
    Don't worry, they weren't really planning on winning anyways [​IMG]

7. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

I'm not saying don't call the press conference, I'm saying wait until your team's season is over (like now).

8. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Gilbert isn't a selfish guy, he'll sign for below his value to play for a contender.

9. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">Sir Desmond Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm not saying don't call the press conference, I'm saying wait until your team's season is over (like now).</div>

Sorry that Gilbert's impatience makes you think that he goes before his team.

10. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Will637 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Sorry that Gilbert's impatience makes you think that he goes before his team.</div>

All I think is he lets his ego get in the way of common sense at times, and this is one of them. I'm sure he's the greatest guy in the world, but it comes across as very self-indulgent and inconsiderate to his teammates who were still playing.

11. og15

og15 JBB *********

I actually agree with you, the timing was terrible. If he had just done this next week, no one would complain, but there's no need for him to do his pat myself on the back and talk about how he came from being a 2nd round pick to where he is now. Obviously he's not doing anything malicious, and it's not that he doesn't care about the team, but the timing was awful.

12. lakers_kb24

lakers_kb24 JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, it's a pretty bad timing that he chose to do this now, bacause his teammates are still playing out there, which makes him look like a selfish player. On a side note, does any of you thik that Kobe has a chance to be on the cover of 2k8?

13. SBD

SBD JBB JustBBall Member

Chris Paul on 2K8? THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT.

14. Apollo

Apollo JBB Into The Fire

<div class="quote_poster">og15 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Arenas said 2K was more real than NBA Live himself, so maybe he'll be on the cover but playing the other game.</div>

I remember reading an article somewhere about Arenas having a 2K league and everything. Congrats to him for the cover job. Pretty early move by EA...

As for the 2K coverboy, I don`t know if Shaq still is on the cover contract he signed with 2K, but a new player would be nice. LeBron or Kobe would be nice.

15. David J

David J JBB JustBBall Member

im glad gilbert got the cover. my other favorite player t-mac got it last year and now gilbert deserves it