Arenas Will Opt Out in 2008

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by GArenas, Jun 9, 2007.

1. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Arenas Says He Will Opt Out Of Deal In '08
    10th June, 2007 - 12:29 am
    Washington Post -
    Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas said last night that he will opt out of his contract after next season and become a free agent.

Arenas, who signed a six-year, $65 million contract in the summer of 2003, said his decision is based on family and business concerns rather than feelings about the direction in which the Wizards are headed as an organization.

"To me, it's just a smarter business decision to play next season, opt out and then be able to sign a long-term deal that is going to keep me in one place," said Arenas, who is recovering from left knee surgery and expects to be at full speed in time for training camp in October. "I'm not looking at anything else. It's just business. If something happens where they don't want me or they're going in a different direction, I can look elsewhere. But my intentions are not to leave."</div>

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/464..._of_deal_in_08/

Although this doesn't mean that Arenas will leave, it does create certain contract issues for next year. Wizards are forced to make tough choices and Ernie will be put to the test. I'm worried about some of the contracts he'll be offered by certain better teams. It creates a certain worry but I gotta believe he'll stay, this is where he belongs. :doh:

2. TigerTaylor

TigerTaylor BBW Elite Member

The Wizards need to try whatever they can do to get Gilbert back. This team is finally heading in the right direction towards being contenders. If they were healthy in the playoffs this season, they very well could have knocked LeBron and the Cavs out. This may give teams with a lot of cap room, such as the Magic and Bobcats to hold out on signing any big FAs this summer with the hope they can land Arenas when he opts out.

3. Memphology

Memphology BBW VIP

Although you have to respect what hes saying cause it might be the truth, but for some reason I think Arenas is taking advice from Kobe Bryant...as far as scaring management to get the best players they can to surround him.

4. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GrizzFanTaylor @ Jun 10 2007, 01:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The Wizards need to try whatever they can do to get Gilbert back. This team is finally heading in the right direction towards being contenders. If they were healthy in the playoffs this season, they very well could have knocked LeBron and the Cavs out.</div>No they wouldn't.But something just sounds weird. I don't think he'll leave. He's blind if he thinks he can go to another team that's heading in a better direction than the Wizards for more money. I think once the Wizards head deep in the playoffs next season, it'll change Gil's mind. It still doesn't make sense, teams can only offer 5 year contracts, while the Wizards can offer 6 years to him, that settles the "I wanna stay put" section. The team is definitely 1 or 2 players away from a serious contending team. Don't forget we were in first place for about a week or so, but injuries definitely F*cked us over this season. But Ernie hasn't failed to displease us yet, he's the man.

5. TigerTaylor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ming637 @ Jun 10 2007, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>No they wouldn't.But something just sounds weird. I don't think he'll leave. He's blind if he thinks he can go to another team that's heading in a better direction than the Wizards for more money. I think once the Wizards head deep in the playoffs next season, it'll change Gil's mind. It still doesn't make sense, teams can only offer 5 year contracts, while the Wizards can offer 6 years to him, that settles the "I wanna stay put" section. The team is definitely 1 or 2 players away from a serious contending team. Don't forget we were in first place for about a week or so, but injuries definitely F*cked us over this season. But Ernie hasn't failed to displease us yet, he's the man.</div>If the Magic held on to their cap space and signed him, he'd be in a better situation than Washington. That could be one option. He just wants to find the best possible situation for the long term. It could be Washington, and it could be somewhere else. He just wants to weight his options come time to do so.

6. noballer08

noballer08 BBW Elite Member

I agree that they need to focus all of their efforts on keeping this guy in DC, but at the same time I don't see why Gilbert would do this? It just doesn't seem to be in his character; maybe you are right BCB, as sad as it is :no3: As long as he isn't requesting a trade, I guess.

7. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noballer07 @ Jun 10 2007, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I agree that they need to focus all of their efforts on keeping this guy in DC, but at the same time I don't see why Gilbert would do this? It just doesn't seem to be in his character; maybe you are right BCB, as sad as it is :no3: As long as he isn't requesting a trade, I guess.</div>That's the thing, I don't think it's going to happen. Gil wouldn't make that decision when you have 1 full season left. I mean, if that's the case and you've really made up your mind, then you might as well ask for a trade.

8. TigerTaylor

Gil wouldn't make that decision? This is the same Gil who said last summer that if he doesn't see the Wizards making any push to become contenders, he would opt out of his contract. This isn't anything new for Arenas.I think Arenas just wants attention. He always wants the spotlight on him it seems, whether he's making humorous/outragous quotes or promoting his cover of NBA Live when his team is getting swept in the playoffs. He sees LeBron and Kobe getting all the attention, so he comes up with this. Other than that, there is no reason this needs to be addressed right now.

9. Justice

Justice BBW VIP

I think he hasn't made a decision either way. It is indeed a year away, but if teams want to clear up salary ahead of time to pick up somebody like Gilbert, now would be the time. I personally wouldn't want him on the Mavs, but I can think of some other teams that might like to have him.

10. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GrizzFanTaylor @ Jun 10 2007, 02:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Gil wouldn't make that decision? This is the same Gil who said last summer that if he doesn't see the Wizards making any push to become contenders, he would opt out of his contract. This isn't anything new for Arenas.

I think Arenas just wants attention. He always wants the spotlight on him it seems, whether he's making humorous/outragous quotes or promoting his cover of NBA Live when his team is getting swept in the playoffs. He sees LeBron and Kobe getting all the attention, so he comes up with this. Other than that, there is no reason this needs to be addressed right now.</div>
    Here comes the Arenas is selfish and only cares about himself argument again [​IMG]

11. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

I agree with BluffCityBlue, Gil is putting pressure on Grunfeld to make the right moves this year, because this is offseason will be very important. The past three years we've been a 40-win team, and now, we've proven many people that we can take it to the next level. He's taking a page out of Kobe's book, and if Grunfeld fails to meet Gil's expectations, then he'll leave, imo.

12. MrBigShot_23

MrBigShot_23 BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GArenas @ Jun 10 2007, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Here comes the Arenas is selfish and only cares about himself argument again [​IMG]</div>I agree.Im sick of everyone bitching about Arenas and saying hes selfish. People act like hes the only one to ever say hes going to opt-out prior to his contract year.Anyways, should be interesting to see where he goes. Personally, I hope he comes back to Washington.Anybody think that if Chauncey leaves, Detroit could give a offer to him?

13. TigerTaylor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrBigShot_23 @ Jun 10 2007, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I agree.Im sick of everyone bitching about Arenas and saying hes selfish. People act like hes the only one to ever say hes going to opt-out prior to his contract year.Anyways, should be interesting to see where he goes. Personally, I hope he comes back to Washington.Anybody think that if Chauncey leaves, Detroit could give a offer to him?</div>Yeah, they could give an offer, but it won't be near as much as what Arenas wants. Arenas will want the big bucks, and the Pistons won't have enough cap to give it to him. He'll most likely stay in Washington because they can give him the best offer.And also, I wasn't trying to bash Arenas although it might sound like I was. He is one of my favorite players and he's a funny guy, but some things he does is selfish, such as promoting his cover of NBA Live while his team is getting swept by the Cavs. Other than that, I think Arenas is a cool guy and a great player.

14. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GrizzFanTaylor @ Jun 10 2007, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah, they could give an offer, but it won't be near as much as what Arenas wants. Arenas will want the big bucks, and the Pistons won't have enough cap to give it to him. He'll most likely stay in Washington because they can give him the best offer.

And also, I wasn't trying to bash Arenas although it might sound like I was. He is one of my favorite players and he's a funny guy, but some things he does is selfish, such as promoting his cover of NBA Live while his team is getting swept by the Cavs. Other than that, I think Arenas is a cool guy and a great player.</div>

Arenas has taken paycuts for the Wizards to sign free agents, he doesn't care about how much an offer is. He cares about winning a chip. However some of those people who all they care about is winning a chip, never win one.

15. BigMo763

BigMo763 Active Member

I really don't see the harm in doing this. He's basically making the smart business move. Put yourself in his position... he'll opt out next year, and get more money as opposed to waiting for his contract to expire. Plus, like somebody said before, this will make Washington's front office think about how they want to go forward, and make them realize that if they don't continue to put the right pieces around Arenas, he has no problem signing with another team.Washington has financial leverage over other teams though... they can offer him more money over more years than any other NBA team can.

16. TigerTaylor

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GArenas @ Jun 10 2007, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Arenas has taken paycuts for the Wizards to sign free agents, he doesn't care about how much an offer is. He cares about winning a chip. However some of those people who all they care about is winning a chip, never win one.</div>The main reason he is doing all this is to maximize his earnings, which means to make the big money, so he definatly cares about how much the offer is. This won't be a situation where he takes a small amount of money to stay on the team. He wants a big contract so he can support his 2 kids.Don't believe me?http://www.washtimes.com/sports/20070609-104222-8402r.htm

17. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrBigShot_23 @ Jun 10 2007, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Im sick of everyone bitching about Arenas and saying hes selfish. People act like hes the only one to ever say hes going to opt-out prior to his contract year.</div>I love you, no homo.

18. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

He's doing this to create more options not to get the best possible offer.. He's said it more than once that he doesn't need 10 mil a year.

19. Rok

Rok BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>He's doing this to create more options not to get the best possible offer.. He's said it more than once that he doesn't need 10 mil a year.</div>So what's the point of opting?

20. MrBigShot_23

MrBigShot_23 BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GrizzFanTaylor @ Jun 10 2007, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah, they could give an offer, but it won't be near as much as what Arenas wants. Arenas will want the big bucks, and the Pistons won't have enough cap to give it to him. He'll most likely stay in Washington because they can give him the best offer.And also, I wasn't trying to bash Arenas although it might sound like I was. He is one of my favorite players and he's a funny guy, but some things he does is selfish, such as promoting his cover of NBA Live while his team is getting swept by the Cavs. Other than that, I think Arenas is a cool guy and a great player.</div>1 year from now, we could be looking at a completely different Pistons team that has more cap space, if Chauncey and Sheed are gone.I think its more about contending then money for Agent Zero.