Ariza will not play in Orlando

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Labinot41, Jun 22, 2020.

1. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

I suspect he can he just has to wait 10 days or whatever.

2. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Man it's been so long I forgot he was on our team for a second

UncleCliffy'sDaddy likes this.
  3. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    In a subsequent announcement, bets on the 'Over' of points scored by Blazer opponent SFs has skyrocketed.

PHXBlazer1 and Chris Craig like this.
  4. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

THAT DOES NOT COMPUTE:comppunch:

5. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

just got back from vacation...did I read it right that right now, for the next week, teams can negotiate season extension contracts with impending free agents?

That would cover Whiteside and Melo I guess....any news on that front?

6. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen that reported. They can work out deals with current free agents, and they can convert 2 way contracts. But, aren't they normally able to reach extensions with current players?

7. wizenheimer

I just saw a Woj (or maybe Shams) tweet in another thread and it seemed to imply that teams would need to sign their own free agents to a special extension that covers this orlando mini-season.

Whiteside and Melo will be UFA in 7 days so their contracts are done well before Orlando. Now, maybe I'm misreading the tweet, but I would assume neither would/could play without a contract for those games. That makes sense to me at least

Whiteside would be eligible for a standard extension but it looks like the date that could be signed is in October. Melo isn't eligible for a normal extension

again, it was just one tweet, but practically speaking Whiteside and Melo won't be Blazers on July 1 unless they either sign those special extensions or the NBA and NBPA have agreed to some kind of patch provisions. I would wonder though if one of those provisions is putting some kind of restrictions on players like those two. I find it hard to imagine the NBA would be OK with Whiteside signing a deal with the Lakers or the Bucks for the Orlando session

8. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

And the donkey show/goat rodeo just keeps rolling along. I don't blame Ariza - in fact, I am surprised more players haven't told the league to get bent.

MARIS61 likes this.
  9. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

I believe the contracts have been extended through Orlando. We do not need to re-sign our players til October/November.

10. Binx

Binx Well-Known Member

I know the politically correct response is to applaud Ariza for this move, and thank him for being such a good father and having his head on straight . . .

But that’s bullshit. The guy has had the last 3 months off, for God’s sake! And he’s been getting paid a full salary the whole time. Now he’s going to let his teammates down just when the season resumes?? Just when they may have a legitimate shot at a title with Nurkic and Collins back??

Sorry. This stinks. He’s getting paid millions for playing basketball, not spending time with his son. When the season is over he can work out something with his wife and get custody of his son for awhile. Right now there is some unfinished business on the basketball court.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    MARIS61 likes this.
  11. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Dont know which tweet you're referring to, so cant speak to it.

Whiteside and melo are not going to expire before the season starts. The league year has been adjusted.

12. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    It seems like the ex is sticking it to him making him choose son or basketball as this is the only time she is granting him. Kind of a use it or lose it scenario. I agree it is BS in that she didn't make the child available for the last 3 months and has chosen this time as his only opportunity.

13. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    I'm assuming that just because of the way court proceedings went, that this was the only time he could be with the kid (and maybe prove to the judge that he wanted to be in the kid's life). If that's not true, then I would be annoyed also.

14. wizenheimer

ok then. That's kind of what I was asking about as I heard that the NBA and NBPA had reached an agreement on the CBA adjustments for the Orlando tournament/season (what do we call it?), but I have seen no specifics

I know that the NBPA had agreed to a 25% reduction in player salaries for the May 15 & June 15 paydays, with those monies placed into an escrow account, waiting to see how much of the season is completed.

Whiteside would have over 1.1M of his salary in that escrow account. That's kind of significant. And I'm assuming there still would be bonus salary for teams in the playoffs?

I have also 'heard' that there was a Wednesday deadline for players opting out of Orlando, but I'm not sure if that was yesterday or next Wednesday...?

15. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Don't become a fireman or policeman if you can't drop everything every time you are called in.

Don't accept millions of dollars to play a game for spectators as a part of a team whose performance relies on your promise to participate, then flake out and undeniably harm the lives of your teammates and fans.

Blazers have gone on a streak of getting players who put everything else ahead of competing.

Drain the swamp.

Binx likes this.
  16. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Man! sounds like some of us fans are a little selfish. We have a pandemic going on. BBall is entertainment. Yes i understand that many in here, or most, don't have a choice as far as making a choice not to work at this time. But it's Ariza's choice. Don't take it personal. And i miss sports as much as anyone. I don't like MMA, Golf, or Racing so believe me , I WANT BASKETBALL. But i respect players wishes, and needs.

GoBlazersGo and Orion Bailey like this.
  17. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    My contention from the beginning of this Orlando thing was that if players choose not to play, then they don't get paid for the games they miss for personal reasons. It's hard from both sides

18. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

When they stopped the season, did he know when it was going to start back up?

I don't know for a fact, but from what I know, he as a certain timeline to visit?

Come on man. Did you predict the NBA wanting to play in the later half of the summer/fall?

So you want to deny a guy his time with his son, because he failed to predict the season would start back up right when he thought he would have time to spend with his son?

Interesting take.....

19. Binx

Binx Well-Known Member

Yes, I do. Absolutely. He gets paid millions of dollars to play basketball, and when the season resumes he needs to be there—just like the rest of his teammates.

20. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Got it. You value money more than family.

Typical American Stance.