Ariza will not play in Orlando

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Labinot41, Jun 22, 2020.

1. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    It sucks about Ariza, but the way the virus is taking off I doubt we're the only team that is going to be short-handed. 5% of the league tested positive this week.

If we get away with only missing our 6th or so best player, I'll be good with that.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  2. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Here is the results of multiple studies done so far for the lasting long term effects of this virus. You could not be more wrong.
    https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/06/02/covid-health-effects
    Even more so when you say something off the hook like
    How do you come up with "Less than Zero chance"?
    Have you really thought this through? You do understand how this spreads right? You do understand that there is no such thing as a bubble right?
    The President of the United States is in a bubble. His staff are all in a bubble. They just had 14 cases in the staff working on their one day event in Tulsa Oklahoma.
    You do realize this event will be weeks long and will include 20 times the amount of staff and television support not to mention every other news agency. Not just CNN, MSNBC and FOX.

Orion Bailey, Eastoff and riverman like this.
  3. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Sacrifices in many things we do.

4. Binx

Binx Well-Known Member

Better take another look at the facts, my friend. Fit young people are not dying from this virus. Some will have symptoms like fatigue, headache or coughing, and some will have no symptoms at all.

5. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

There is Broadway actor/dancer in his 30s/40s who had to have his leg amputated because of COVID and he’s been slipping in and out of a coma too. Also- there’s a kid from a boy band who just died of COVID. He was 35. Also Rudy Gobert was tested in March because he didn’t feel well and he still has symptoms 3.5 months later.

Eastoff and kjironman1 like this.
  6. kjironman1

Sure lets look at Facts.
    How about a study from Johns Hopkins? Would that be factual enough? Or would you rather go with Facebook and You Tube?
    https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...s-and-covid-19-younger-adults-are-at-risk-too

Orion Bailey likes this.
  7. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

This is typical posting on here... it's just not usually about something so important. You say, "Better take a look at the facts, my friend." Then you proceed to offer up an opinion based on no facts with no link to anecdotal nor more importantly statistical information or what some people call "facts". So maybe you should look at the facts and then show them to people you are condescending to.

8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

better look at the facts globally...they also know it can cause permanent internal organ damage to young people who survive it...and that it mutates although slowly and can incubate in asymptomatic people....it's not what we know about this virus that gives us pause....it's more what we don't know. Trump took your view.some people may get the sniffles..it'll fade, it'll pass by April...etc. News flash...it's still spreading in China 10 months later....everywhere we've reopened for business has been basically a disaster...the Nuggets closed their whole facility as it's infected now.....used to say live and learn...now it's learn and live...we're 3 months into the major spread here and frankly, we've been extremely careless and stupid about it for the need for instant gratification and entertainment..

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Eastoff, tykendo and kjironman1 like this.
  9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    So, something like 6% of the players scheduled to go to Orlando tested positive. Is there any reason to believe that players will be any safer if the NBA cancels the season and guys go about their normal lives (and the risk that goes with that) vs going to Orlando, being monitored closely and living inside a more controlled environment? I honestly don't know, but I do know that nobody gets the risk down to zero. Absent a vaccine, this thing continues to go pretty much unabated until 70% or so of the population has had it. By most estimations, a vaccine that's available to the average person is about a year off and who knows how effective it will be.

handiman likes this.
  10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

ask the Denver Nuggets...they had to close their entire facility for contamination....and yes...I believe staying home in Oregon is safer than being exposed to 302 players in a highly infected State like Florida who've been all over the globe or country since the pandemic....Gobert is still sick. The risk factor is being watered down for profits in my view and only for profits...not for public health..I'm against finishing this season but I'm sure it will be played out. I don't think athletes are any different than other entertainers when it comes to stopping the virus...I know why they say it's a safe place but I don't think they can prove that yet

Eastoff and tykendo like this.
  11. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

LOL. Spot on.

Hey. Did you know if you don't wear a mask, period, you are dumb? regardless of your IQ, where you are at, or what you are doing? If you don't wear a mask you are dumb, and I was told this is a FACT, just yesterday.

LMAO.

tykendo and kjironman1 like this.
  12. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Funny. Even though I think its in their best interested to close shop, I'm still for it to get my NBA if they do it. lol, but unlike you I fully believe they will fold up camp.

riverman likes this.
  13. kjironman1

Ha Ha Ha!

Orion Bailey likes this.
  14. kjironman1

I can promise you that if they play i will be watching from my front room without a mask. So i may very well be dumb....

riverman and Orion Bailey like this.
  15. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

@SlyPokerDog Change this dudes name to KJBOXOROX!

kjironman1 likes this.
  16. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

The Governor has put the requirement to wear a mask inside at places of business and fun. But it's up to the workers to be empowered by their employers to be able to enforce it. Even with the action, bullies will continue to skirt the law. When you have the brain of a peanut, doing the right thing just doesn't compute.

GoBlazersGo, Eastoff and riverman like this.
  17. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    The Denver Nuggets practice facility isn’t being run as a true bubble environment. Guys come and go every day. Sure, they’re trying to be careful, but the virus is being brought in from the outside. In Orlando, from what I’ve read, guys are tested before entering and then go through isolation for a few days before they’re tested again. It’s not going to be perfect and there will be some holes that infection could get in through, but it’s going to be a lot more secure than the practice facility. Which is pretty much my point. You and I are geezers. We can hole up and minimize exposure for a year or so if need be. If you’re an NBA athlete who has to train and play games in order to maintain elite conditioning, hiding out for an extended period isn’t an option. Add to that the fact that these are young, rich guys with active social lives and the idea that they are going to maintain the same degree of isolation that you and I do is ridiculous. Sure, money is a huge factor for both the league and the players. The average NBA career is about 4.5 years. Losing a quarter of this season and possibly all of the next one waiting on a potential vaccine has huge financial impacts on these guys’ lives. They are being given the choice as to whether to play or not. I don’t think it’s our call to judge their decisions.

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I've said all along they'll do it whether I think it's right or not.....but to me all the reasons you stated for doing it are not what we as a populace should be doing....I'm one of the few around here who lived for 8 months in Taipei during the SARS epidemic.....difference....people were never outside without a mask...temperatures were taken everywhere before they could work or shop and everything was constantly scrubbed with bleach within the city....this pandemic is 10 times more dangerous than SARS.....I've been arguing for national public health care for decades here...for this very reason. It is easier for a geezer like me but it's also way more dangerous for a geezer like me. If we don't smarten up this thing is going to get out of control....but hey...sports and the needs of young rich athletes! My daughter in law will be out of work for the foreseeable future in her film producing industry which requires flying all over the country every week ….she's lost tens of thousands of dollars already....her job concerns me more than any NBA athlete....her company is shut down as it is until January...the NBA should have done that as well in my view

19. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    It already is out of control. It's going to be out of control in this country until we get a vaccine because people, particularly young people, won't do things as simple as wearing a mask and maintaining social distancing. The disease spreads easily; the R0 number is about 5.5, meaning each infected person transmits it to about 5.5 people. America is as all about the notion that we can do what we want, and that notion is a major detriment during a pandemic. A few hundred guys playing basketball inside an enclosed environment isn't going to make a hill of beans difference in the overall course of the disease in this country.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

it's not leading by example and it sets a precedent just like Trump rallying without a mask...people will feel it's ok to mingle around sports again....I'd love to watch basketball but, doesn't seem like a smart move in my view..sure it's out of control but just in the last two weeks we've proven it can get much, much worse quickly...for what it's worth I hope you're right about this and I'm wrong!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Orion Bailey likes this.