Arizona @ Oregon, October 2nd, Game Thread!

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94, Oct 2, 2014.

1. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Too many injuries on your O-line. Plus I've read that Mariota isn't completely healthy after getting the shit beat out of him at Wazzu. Which again points to the O-line.

2. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    I apologize because i don't remember who said it, but someone said before the season started this was the first dline they've seen in 15 years. That was right on the money too.

3. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

I know what you mean but I think that that the term "Debbie-Downer" is used way to loosely. So I guess my question is this, "If a Debbie-Downer is a person who brings a mood down, then what is the person who raises expectations exceedingly above normal?"

4. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

Not attacking you but this excuse seems to be the first protocol used after a loss by the UofO spin doctors to deflect blame where blame is due.

5. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

You should read this article by Jason Quick, it's clearly on-topic with your point. http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/ind...ucks_lose_phil_knight_s.html#incart_big-photo

It pretty much sums up with what I have believed all season. I love my Ducks but these coaches are wasting talent in what should have been a championship window.

All race cars (The team) need fuel (Coaching staff)to run. Some race cars need 110 octane leaded gas to work, some cars need methanol to work; this race car needs Nitomethane to work well and were giving the car 110 octane and we are surprised when it misfires and sputters and other lower class cars are winning the race.

6. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

Anyone seen SPD? He PMed me last night from the top of the Fremont Bridge.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  7. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

you need to reread what was written. I specifically called your points Debbie Downers, not you. Autzen is covered in WTD slogans and players still repeat that, nameless faceless opponents and other Chipisms ad nauseam. I've read/seen so many interviews with players complimenting their coaches... how in the world can you have missed the constant barrage of this unless it was intentional? I gave examples directly countering your "most important" assertion. Rather then address any of my counters, you gave a cartoonish mischaracterization of my views and then said I lacked any perspective and wasn't worth responding to. Damn right that seems like you wanted a flame war. Then you call me out in this thread. When confronted you say can't we all just get along :rolleyes2: Excuse me if it just all seems a tad disingenuous.

Your "real concerns" about the D and not pushing the tempo... heck, everyone has bitched about the D myself included. I just don't think it's the system, as I've seen it work. I blame blown coverages, poor execution and tackling primarily by the LBs. Defensive coaches share blame for this as they recruited and coached them up. But OLine depth is part of what allows them to push the tempo on offense, and thats out the window. You want Helfrich to ride the few guys they've left into the ground? They'd be toast by the 3rd quarter of every game. Their patchwork Line lost the line of scrimmage all game (again) and they couldn't run the ball which is the bread and butter of this offense. Fans want to blame someone for their sports fantasies imploding, and thats usually the coach... I get that. It's misdirected though IMO as Coach Greatwood is on record saying that this is the worst run of injuries he's had in decades of coaching in Eugene. As they say, it all starts up front with the big uglies and Oregon's best are out. It plain sucks and all, but :MARIS61: doesn't help anything. Certainly injuries to 5 lineman trump the hell out of whatever slogans may or may not be repeated enough for your liking.

STOMP

8. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

Look, whether you call my points Debbie-Downers or you call me a Debbie-Downer, it all goes to the same area and that is the person who made the points (Me in this case). What is a tad disingenuous on your part is that you believe that you know all things and no-one else could ever be correct. Not only did you say that you could refute each and every one of my Debbie Downer points and that you found most of the them (My points) pretty odd. Not only that but you also stated "Grab two forks and a bib" clearly insinuating that you were going basically going to carve my points up in a big mess and feast on them. Do you not see how inflammatory you are?

I could really care less what websites you're reading because I read a lot of them as well but you have to be able to separate yourself from PR hype and ultimately trust your eyes. Despite having great talent around - this is a declining team which is different from when coach Kelly was here because he could take a 2 star kid and turn him into a 5 star kid. Bellotti was the same way for the most part in that his players continued to develop. Kids are not developing here at the same rate and that is in fact a coaching problem that you refuse to acknowledge and when someone else says so then you like to jump on them. Well watch the game again and you will see that most to all of my "Debbie-Downer" points were in that game.

Just in case you overlooked this, Oregon RB's averaged 4.47 yards per carry in last nights game. Those are not bad numbers.

Now if you want to just tone it down a bit and respect others views and not jump on them then we can move past this.

9. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    We can argue back and forth all night long about silly talking points. But, the Ducks aren't what they were projected to be. Its not just the O-line. The defense is awful, both fundamentally and schematically. That 3rd and 20 run play last night by Arizona made me want to barf. On offense, we aren't running anywhere near the pace that we have become accustomed to.

Helf was a cute hire and all. I like him as a person. I don't think he deserved the keys to the Ferrari.

10. Quack U!

Quack U! Member

Lazy 3-4 defense where our line is getting no penetration 2-4 plays in a series and our open field barely arm tackling is tragic! Sorry that's coaching and scheme. Time for a 4-3 till we have a Kiko Alonzo, Michael Clay out there laying paint in the middle and hitting those gaps, instead of what runs through those gaps hitting us!

As for our O line what can you do? These kids are hurt and those who aren't are GREEN!

We've got UCLA up next with Vanderchicken and McCarthy who you know Mora will take the muzzle's off to attack Marcus with vicious waves, like DT's are supposed to play!

Marcus will be the #1 player taken this year in the NFL draft, if his knee isn't left on the field before he can. At what point does an agent whisper into his ear, "Son? That O line of yours is going to cost you millions!"

One more loss and there's no hope of the playoff and at that point maybe Marcus makes a business decision, who could blame him!

11. 1honestfan

1honestfan Member

I have a question that I asked in another thread here but I think it's still appropriate to ask in this one because it has more traffic than the other thread. I am wondering if Oregon thought that they were going to get hit harder with sanctions from the NCAA than what they actually received? It really makes senses to me that Oregon would hire Helfrich if they believed that they were going to have harder sanctions because he's cheaper. As a matter of fact, Mark Helfrich is paid 1.8 million dollars a year which is roughly 1/2 of Chip Kelly's salary at 3.5 million. Just another fact to throw out to consider, the only other coach in the league that is paid less than Helfrich in the PAC-12 is Mike Riley at OSU at 1.4 million. To put this in a bigger scale, Helfrich's salary ranks 56th in the nation. Wouldn't one have reason to believe that had Oregon believed it was going to get hit with as few sanctions as it did that they would have gone out and spent more money on a proven coach?

It's just something that I am pondering.

12. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

never said anything resembling that. I do know for an absolute fact that I've read/heard many many current Ducks say exactly the things you say no longer are uttered. And I attacked the post not the poster as is the accepted norm here.

your points were opposite of things that have been repeatedly published in every Duck outlet. If someone claims the moon is made of ham & cheese, do you think people are going to beat around the bush setting the record straight? And once again, I absolutely did not say I could refute each and every point you made... how could anyone refute that their points are down? Maybe I didn't articulate perfectly but said I found most of them odd and thats because they were as it's been demonstrated.

Of course it's PR hype... it always was! But you were claiming players weren't saying the exact things that they were. It's just an odd thing to claim

I just went back and looked at all their signees from 2008 on. I'm curious who you're referencing as no one seems to fit the bill though Wade Keliikipi comes the closest. Of course Chip was quick to point out he didn't coach D.

Good grief, did the players retract all of the WTD quotes they made? And how in the world did you just skip over me blaming the Defensive coaches for the LBs in my prior post? The offense is struggling, but injuries do in fact matter a great deal. They affect pace which of course affects the amount of points they put up. So yes I noticed, but I place the blame at the obvious source.

LMJ averaged 6.6 per carry for his career. Kenyon averaged 6.2... heck, Marshall averaged 6.2 last season. 4.5 is well below our average and not enough to roll like we're used to doing.

I've yet to see you budge one iota even acknowledging the most obvious nonsense you were sharing as such. I'll continue to jump on people who insist black is white, up is down etc... so sorry but it's a chat site

STOMP

13. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Hate to say it, but I had the same thought about MM. Under normal circumstances, I would be outraged at the idea....but I might just sigh and wish him well. At this rate it is only a matter of time before he gets hurt. He doesn't deserve that.

14. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

A Pollyanna, obviously. This is not difficult. There are a lot of Pollyannas supporting any team, and a couple of Debbie Downers who love the team but hate some aspect of it to the point of complaining about it all the time. Like that one guy who hated Andre Miller a whole bunch.

15. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Who could possibly hate Andre Miller? That's unpossible!

16. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

I know, right? One cuckoo bird, man.

17. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

This is the only Duck game thread I didn't make this year.

Coincidence?