Around the NBA - August 2017 Edition

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Cippy91

Cippy91 Habitual Line Stepper

Also the sad truth is his value goes down because of his size despite the numbers he puts up.

2. Cippy91

3. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

Damn, so Cavs get IT and next years #1 pick most likely!

4. Cippy91

I mean Boston is set either way with the talent they have I just feel like this was an odd move and I don't get ainge finally parting way with that pick after Butler, PG, etc. The rumor was with PG though that he wouldn't give up Rozier.

5. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I'm pretty sure Boston is also much happier paying Irving a ton than Thomas. Irving is younger and will fit better with the young assets Boston has (and still have upcoming--the Nets pick was only one, though the best remaining).

Natebishop3 and trailblazer18 like this.
  6. 0-Our!

0-Our! Noob-ish

Whoa! Peep this! I JUST went to the ESPN trade machine & saw this: trade.jpg
    I promise I didn't edit anything!:smiley-yikes: Go to the site & check it out for yourselves ppl:wink:

Blazers Roy and BonesJones like this.
  7. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    With George, he couldn't pull the trigger until after he signed Hayward, for cap reasons. He told Pritchard he was interested after the first wave of free agency, but Pritchard obviously didn't want to wait. Which was another weird thing about Pritchard's dumb George trade.

8. Cippy91

Yeah I guess that was on Pritchard too because Boston wanted them to wait until after they signed Hayward but still, that's a ballsy move. Hey wait, hold onto George for us, we are gonna go sign Hayward first and then be back. Pritchard wasn't giving up PG after that to a team in the east and make them better. Jimmy Butler however...

9. 0-Our!

0-Our! Noob-ish

Haha! Check the time stamps, I reported this deal before the NBA, they JUST caught up w/ me!:tongue2:

dviss1 and riverman like this.
  10. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Who wants to bet they go out and bring back Tony Allen now???

Irving / Rozier
    Smart / Allen
    Hayward / Brown
    Morris / Tatum
    Horford / ?

It allows Brown and Tatum to slide to the 3 and 4, and with 3 shooters in Tatum, Morris, and Horford playing PF and C, you'd have enough shooting at all times to counter Allen's weaknesses. You could toss out Allen so that he could guard Curry or Thomas. Would also recoup some fan approval by bringing him back since Boston fans are rightfully upset.

11. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

IMO Cavs killed this trade and got a great deal and flexibility assuming Bron leaves as expected after this yr. After passing on many other top players this is what Ainge spends a lot of his chips on? Cavs compete this yr and god a great return IMO for a guy who wanted out

riverman likes this.
  12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Cavs got better..way better in my view...and Lebron is going to love playing with Thomas and Crowder.....big upgrade plus a great pick..that's going to be a tough team in Cleveland...they're much deeper now and upgraded the starting lineup. I don't think Lebron leaves Cleveland at all even though the Laker media wants to project that.

13. Cippy91

This basically

14. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

I see why both teams made the deal, but I think the Cavs got the better of it.

15. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

Let's also not forget that IT is still having issues with his hip and likely won't be ready by the Start of the season.

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Thomas will gladly defer to Lebron as a pt guard...perfect fit...and they have Rose as well....Thomas will fill up the bucket when shots aren't falling for Lebron or Love....Crowder will defend the perimeter better against Klay Thompson .....the Cavs made out....

Chris Craig and theprunetang like this.
  17. theprunetang

theprunetang Shaedon "Deadly Nightshade" Sharpe is HIM

Oh, I agree. This is the best possible trade return for a disgruntled Kyrie. I'm just pointing out that the trade value for IT is hurt by him being 5'9", the worst defender in the league, currently injured, and expecting a max contract.

18. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    If I were Boston, I'd be very leery of the prospect giving Thomas a 5 year, ~$200M max at age 29 (next off-season), currently coming off a season far better than any season before that. Cleveland is taking on considerable risk, which is why they were able to leverage the Nets pick. I think it's a fine trade for Cleveland in a vacuum, but it's pretty meh to me because it's neither here nor there. It's not an ideal rebuilding move (though the Nets pick is obviously nice for that) nor does it really max out their potential for next year, as they traded their second-best player for slightly better depth. They may or may not win the East again (though even if they do, I think it'll be a much tougher battle against Boston) and then they'll get dusted by Golden State again. James may or may not leave and Cleveland will be handed the decision as to whether to give Thomas that gigantic max deal as he's closing in on 30.

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  19. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

It's really happening !!:MARIS61::MARIS61::MARIS61:

I don't remember a year in which so many stars switched places! now we have two stars from ECF teams switching sides, how crazy is that?!

Gotta say i'm disappointed with Danny Ainge... Hayward and Morris instead of Bradley and Crowder , Kyrie instead of Thomas and a future star... what did he do really? are they 5% better now? 10% ? :lol:

Now he still can't beat the Cavs because he made them as good or even better and his chances of beating GS are still ZERO.
    What's the point? :dunno:

20. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

Suns could probably land Kyrie but wouldn't give Bledsoe and Jackson for him... shieeet i'd give Bledsoe for an expiring contract.
    What a weird team.