Around the NBA: February 2020

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by UKRAINEFAN, Feb 1, 2020.

1. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

Khris Middleton has really shot the ball well this season, a notch up in shooting efficiency compared to previous years. I wonder what he did or his team did for that to happen.

kjironman1 likes this.
  2. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

James Harden, Luka Doncic. Crafty scorers who can pass the ball well.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  3. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Just because you definie it one way doesn't make it so. Green has been an all star 3 times in his 8 seasons and played over 30mpg in 5 of those seasons. Ginobli has only been an all star 2 times in his 16 seasons and averaged over 30mpg in only 2 of those seasons. Not sure how you can consider one a complimentary player and the other not. Durant only won one championship with GS and Green won 2 without Durant on the roster. Green was part of their "big 3" before Durant came along and was as important as Ginobli or Parker were to the Spurs.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  4. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Other way around. Green one won before Durant joined and the Warriors won two with Durant.

I mean, they should have won two with Green before Durant joined, but the 73-win season culminated in them being upset in the Finals by the Cavs when the Warriors had a lot of injuries (and Green got himself suspended for a game due to too many technicals, which was both stupid on his part and also highlighted his value as that loss turned the series).

TBpup and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  5. CupWizier

retired
    ah well, close enough. :bgrin:

6. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

we're talking about subjective definitions of subjective notions about types of roles on a basketball team. It's all opinion, so when you say "it doesn't make it so" that seems a meaningless comment because there is no "so" anywhere around. There isn't any 'truth' to be found here floating in a sea of opinion

ok then the difference between a main player or a complementary player....IMO

I'd define a main player as one who can carry a team when the team is down or bad. Portland has maybe the worst team since Dame was a rookie, but he's putting up the best numbers of his career. His production and efficiency hasn't dropped. Dame is a core player, a main one

* Green has a career mark of .435 in FG% but he's shooting .388 this year, his worst mark in the last 7 years
    * Green has a career mark of ..506 in 2ptFG% but he's shooting .457 this year, his worst mark in the last 6 years
    * Green has a career mark of .320 in 3ptFG% but he's shooting .287 this year, his 2nd worst mark in the last 7 years
    * Green has a career mark of .496 in eFG% but he's shooting .447 this year, his worst mark in the last 7 years
    * Green has a career mark of .532 in TS% but he's shooting .491 this year, his worst mark in the last 7 years

* Green has a career PER of 15.1, but he's at 12.7 this year, his worst mark in the last 7 years
    * Green has a career rebounding rate of 13.3%, but his rate is 11.7% this year, the worst mark of his career
    * Green has a career mark of .132 in winshares/48, but he's at .048 this year, his worst mark in 7 years
    * Green has a career BPM of +3.4, but he's at -0.6 this year, his worst in 7 years

the only area Green has maintained his norms is in assists, but that's generally a complementary skill

the difference between a main player and a complementary one shows up in comparing Dame and Green. Green is on a bad team this year and his numbers have cratered almost all the way across the board. Dame is on a bad team right now, but in all those categories where Green has collapsed, Dame is at career highs

so yeah, Green is a complementary player....IMO. That does not mean he wasn't essential to Warrior success. But that's why I said he was probably the best complementary players since Rodman

SIeepwalker and BonesJones like this.
  7. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

:smiley-klap1:

8. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Generally it seems like whether a player is a "main player" or a "supporting/complementary player" in the eyes of fans is whether they're good at scoring. In some respects, that's fair--as a solo star, you can't carry a team very well if you can't lead them in scoring. In other respects, that's not so fair--championship teams (almost) never consist of a single star, so the real question is how much you drive success in an ecosystem of two or three stars. I think Green is a "main player" in the overall success of the Warriors' run. He basically does everything (at least prior to this year) except be a potent scorer and has been a huge part of the team's defense (as the effective quarterback and all-court defender) and offense (as a facilitator).

This season seems to illustrate that Green is a poor choice as a solo star, but I think he remains a true star when he has other scoring stars on the team.

calvin natt and handiman like this.
  9. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I kind of see the distinction as could this player carry a team without the other stars for like half a season. Scoring plays a part in that no doubt. Thats where Im torn with ginobili we never really saw him without Timmy and Parker, I think he could carry an NBA team for a while. By carry I mean keep them around 500 with subpar talent.
    Rodman and Draymond I dont think they can, their skills are so dependent on others (that’s not trying to diminish their talent and how important those type of guys are.
    Sorry I am making no sense right now, which is normal I guess heh. :)

10. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
  11. BonesJones

Rudy Gobert is an example to the contrary.

12. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Could Rudy Lead a team to the playoffs as a solo “star”?

13. BonesJones

Probably.

14. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Its a tough question because to be fair the west is stacked you really need two guys, the days of AI or Lebron carrying a team to the finals are probably gone.. look at how good Dame is and where the Blazers are. That said I think Center has been de-emphasized a lot. I think Id lean towards no with Rudy, but I understand why someone would would say yes.

15. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Not a chance in the world IMO.

16. CupWizier

retired
    No way. A perfect example is that Anthony Davis couldn't do much at New Orleans and he had some quality pieces to help him and AD is a superior player to Gobert.

calvin natt likes this.
  17. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    This is excellent:

18. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Shaq couldn't do it without Kobe.

19. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Re: defensive-minded "complementary" players - could they win? Well: Bill Russell has 11 rings.

TBpup likes this.
  20. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Didn't Mutombo do that, and furthermore, beat the #1 seed in the first round?

TBpup likes this.