Artest is a MANIAC

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by groupiezsuck, Nov 19, 2004.

1. purpleb0n9

purpleb0n9 JBB JustBBall Member

NBA players are rich, they are role models but they are eventually humans... no matter how much you get paid, you must take a stand for yourself against a fan that disrespects you like that. Sure they are role models, but they're not angels, they have to try their best to be at their best behaviour, but at the same time they expect the fans to respond to their actions in a respectful way, not throwing a beer like that.

I find it just too ridiculuous that some of you actually say that no matter what the fans do an NBA player shouldn't act the way Artest did. Why not crucify them on the court, yell and hurl them with stones? What Artest did was right, I defended his actions. It's just too bad that kids got to see the ugly scenes and got terrified because of them. They should blame their ruined night on those drunk blue collars.

2. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Some great posts here guys, but also some very offensive and illogical ones. How could you stand it as a professional player if a guy comes up to you and shoves you, and continue to come after you even after you tried to walk away? Then, you get the idiot fan who threw the beer at Artest? I would have gone into the crowd in a second, and so would Artest, especially considering he already had a lot of anger within him and was fed up. After he went in, do you think that no other fans threw beers or hurled insults at him? Obviously, he would be hitting those other guys.

After all, we can come to expect this between these two teams. They are the biggest rivals in the Eastern Conference and both have fiery players on their teams. The biggest question is not who's at fault, because everyone partly is. However, it should be how long each player's suspension is. I personally do not think that Artest should be suspended for the whole season. Compared to similar cases, such as Todd Bertuzzi's of the NHL's, Artest's case was much more sane. Bertuzzi broke a fellow pro's neck unprovoked, and was suspended for the rest of the season, which was just 15-something games anyways. Artest, meanwhile, was provoked and there does not appear to be serious injuries to anyone involved. I think 10 games would be reasonable, but Wallace, Artest and Jackson should not even be present at the game next time the teams meet.

3. Erin

Erin JBB JustBBall Member

I have lost all respect for Ron Artest. Fans will be fans but what he did was just wrong. These people are giving him his paycheck.

4. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting That NBA Girl:</div><div class="quote_post">I have lost all respect for Ron Artest. Fans will be fans but what he did was just wrong. These people are giving him his paycheck.</div>
    What??? Artest gets shoved and beers thrown at him, and he's totally to blame? I'm not specifically an Artest fan but he is the victim here.

5. AA13

AA13 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting That NBA Girl:</div><div class="quote_post">I have lost all respect for Ron Artest. Fans will be fans but what he did was just wrong. These people are giving him his paycheck.</div>

I'm not an Artest fan but he WAS the VICTIM in this situation. Artest's actions were in his own self-defense.

6. CUSA Fan

CUSA Fan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting durvasa:</div><div class="quote_post">If Artest is going to go into the stands, he better have a good idea of who he's going after and why. I agree that it was really stupid of him to just basically fling himself into a crowd and punch everyone in sight (that's essentially what happened). Emotions were running high, and his behavior was understandable given the circumstances, but that doesn't excuse his behavior. The "self-defense" excuse doesn't really work, if you think about it. How are you protecting yourself by running into the stands and instigating even MORE violence?

Artest should definitely be suspended for some games, but I hope the NBA doesn't go overboard and suspend him for the season like some people are calling for. That would be totally messed up.</div>

No that is not what happened. He went after the ONE guy. Did you not see Pistons fans trying to restrain him, and in the process, fans hitting him in the back of the head? Freddy Jones was doing the same. He was trying to help and a fan comes from behind and nails Jones in the back of the head. Uncalled for? Definitely.

7. jbbReal Deal

jbbReal Deal Active Member

Both the fans and Artest/Jackson were in the wrong.

First off, I'll ask you this: at your job, if an employee is bothering you and harassing you, what do you do?

Artest and Jackson are getting paid millions...and yet they go jump into a brawl with fans. That's wrong.

Now to the fans. They had no right to do what they did, period. They should've just stayed in their seat and waited until the fight was broken up, and that's all there is to it.

Everyone acted in self-defense...everyone...but that doesn't make it right. The fans were immature, and the players involved were unprofessional. Simple as that.

8. CUSA Fan

Your wrong on a few points.

First off, you CANNOT compare this to a day at the office. There, it's a WHOLE different atmosphere. It's calm and peaceful besides the employee harrassing you. You don't have an employee hitting you in the face with a cup full of beer. In the game, the atmosphere is much different. It's loud, screaming fans, players yelling. Whole different situation than at your job. In the game, with the fight broken out by Ben and everything going on, emtions were very high. How else do you expect Artest to react after getting hit by the beer?

Also, you say everyone acted in self defense? How? The fans made the mess even worse by throwing beer and yelling crap. It's ridiculous for them to act the way they did.

9. Erin

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting realdealbneal:</div><div class="quote_post">Both the fans and Artest/Jackson were in the wrong.

First off, I'll ask you this: at your job, if an employee is bothering you and harassing you, what do you do?

Artest and Jackson are getting paid millions...and yet they go jump into a brawl with fans. That's wrong.

Now to the fans. They had no right to do what they did, period. They should've just stayed in their seat and waited until the fight was broken up, and that's all there is to it.

Everyone acted in self-defense...everyone...but that doesn't make it right. The fans were immature, and the players involved were unprofessional. Simple as that.</div>

I agree with everything you just said. This should have been taken care of by security and workers of the Palace. Not by Artest and the whole Pacers bench. These fans are paying you to come play bball, not punch them in the face and rip them to pieces.

10. CUSA Fan

And the players are playing to entertain, not playing to get beers throw in their face.

Punching and ripping to pieces? Are we a little dramatic? Artest went after one guy, correct? Stephen Jackson went after that one guy, correct? If I saw correctly, wsn't it the white guy in the blue shirt hitting Artest in the head? Oh, yeah, that's right. And if I saw correctly, wasn't it the black man hitting Fred Jones in the head? Oh, yeah, that's right. As far as the "fans" entering the court, they had it coming to them. They had no business being on the court. If they were "punched and ripped to pieces" at that point, then they deserved it.

11. TimFlem

TimFlem JBB JustBBall Member

How could any of you blame Artest for his actions, he tried his harderst to keep calm in this terrible incident and some drunken fan out there threw a cup of beer and made the situation worse. If I were Artest I would've went after guy also and when he did jump into the stands the same guy who threw the beer grappled Artest and started punching him. Then you see this huge dude beating up on an innocent Freddy Jones for no reason whatsoever. How can you not take action when your trying to walk away and you see a group of men or women coming out at you with anything they can touch. It was all in self defense if you ask me. The fans took this way out of proportion and IMO deserved what they got.

12. jbbReal Deal

jbbReal Deal Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting That NBA Girl:</div><div class="quote_post">I agree with everything you just said. This should have been taken care of by security and workers of the Palace. Not by Artest and the whole Pacers bench. These fans are paying you to come play bball, not punch them in the face and rip them to pieces.</div>
    Yes, Artest and Jackson should've been restrained, and the guy/girl that threw the cup should've been arrested on the spot by security. Let Artest deal with it in court (if it was something to cause injury)...if it was a chair that broke his nose or busted his face...he still should deal with it more professionally.

Fans are there to either cheer or boo a player. When the fans get out of hand, that's why the security is there. Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson didn't even allow enough time for the security officers to even get to the immature fan in the first place. Instead, they felt the need to fight...which led to more ignorant fans hitting Jones, Artest and Jackson with punches left and right.

Anyone and everyone involved should be dealt with...from the chair thrower and beer tosser, to Artest and Jackson, to Big Ben.

13. Erin

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting realdealbneal:</div><div class="quote_post">Yes, Artest and Jackson should've been restrained, and the guy/girl that threw the cup should've been arrested on the spot by security. Let Artest deal with it in court (if it was something to cause injury)...if it was a chair that broke his nose or busted his face...he still should deal with it more professionally.

Fans are there to either cheer or boo a player. When the fans get out of hand, that's why the security is there. Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson didn't even allow enough time for the security officers to even get to the immature fan in the first place. Instead, they felt the need to fight...which led to more ignorant fans hitting Jones, Artest and Jackson with punches left and right.

Anyone and everyone involved should be dealt with...from the chair thrower and beer tosser, to Artest and Jackson, to Big Ben.</div>

Watching the clips again, I don't even think I saw THAT many security people. Everyone who was trying to restrain was either a fan, coach, player or ref.

14. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting groupiezsuck:</div><div class="quote_post">What kind of IDIOT goes into the stands and starts hitting fans that didnt do anything?!

Go back and watch the video, -- ARTEST AND JACKSON WERE PUNCHING FANS THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CUP THROWING. (Yea, go watch the video before you make some <font color="Blue">******</font> comment.. the guy Artest attacked was not the guy who threw the cup)

I agree <font size="3">100000000000000000%</font> that the guy who threw the cup should have been arrested, but to go into the stands and hit people that were innocent is <font color="Blue">*******</font> rediculous!

Artest and the Pacers DESERVED to be punched by the fans who were DEFENDING the innocent guys getting pummeled.

I do not agree with fans throwing things at players, but Ron Artest should have never went into the stands like that. Yea, I know you are going to say "self defense" - BUT HOW IS IT SELF DEFENSE WHEN YOU ARE BEATING UP A GUY THAT DIDNT DO IT!? The guys on ESPN are clueless right now.

I hope the fan that started it all is arrested, and charged with assault. But I also think Jackson and Artest should be arrested for assaulting fans that had nothing to do with the incident.

<font color="Blue"><font size="1">Watch the language - VC</font></font></div>

You must have been there because from the clips on sports center artest was looking in the direction the cup came from and the guy who threw it want in the shot.

15. ChicagoSportsFan

I didnt see the game and i dont know if there were hard fouls thruoghout the game, but the foul that atrest hit ben with wasnt that hard. Ben was just frustated about the loss and the foul gave him a reason to Muff Artest. It should have ended there artest was the victim in this occurance. as artest sat down then layed on the table it had to be a drunk person who hit him with that cup because no one in their right mind would do that. If youve ever played organized ball you know you dont attack fans and you prep your mind when playing on the road. but you cant prepare for a fan assaulting you. people say artest is crazy but in that situation any other athlete would have reacted the same way and in the past has reacted ain the same way. and to the guy who ran on to the floor he got what was comimg to him. when you step on to the nba floor you must think your as big and strong as guys who ve been athletes their whole life.the pistons should have helped the pacers with the fans. the fans would have listened to their home team. but the only person who tried to stop the madness was Rasheed wallace. you would think the other pistons would have at least helped him. But thats just my opinoin, the nba should go after some of the fans legally and suspend some players. Damn i wish that guy would have never threw that cup. Ive never been to a game and sat courtside and now it will never happen.

ONE(love)

16. ChicagoSportsFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting realdealbneal:</div><div class="quote_post">Yes, Artest and Jackson should've been restrained, and the guy/girl that threw the cup should've been arrested on the spot by security. Let Artest deal with it in court (if it was something to cause injury)...if it was a chair that broke his nose or busted his face...he still should deal with it more professionally.

Anyone and everyone involved should be dealt with...from the chair thrower and beer tosser, to Artest and Jackson, to Big Ben.</div>

I agree the player have to be protected from out of control fans.

17. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J-Roc:</div><div class="quote_post">No that is not what happened. He went after the ONE guy. Did you not see Pistons fans trying to restrain him, and in the process, fans hitting him in the back of the head? Freddy Jones was doing the same. He was trying to help and a fan comes from behind and nails Jones in the back of the head. Uncalled for? Definitely.</div>

The guy he went after initially didn't even throw the beer. And when other fans started coming closer, Steven Jackson butted in and started punching them. That's just disgraceful.

The player in all of this who I think acted the dumbest was Stephen Jackson. He didn't even try to restrain Artest. He just wanted to punch people.

18. Sabretooth

Sabretooth JBB JustBBall Member

Artest has ALWAYS been hot-headed. I feel the facts of the matter are this:

Ben was angry at the fact that the Pacers countered every move that the Pistons made to make a comeback and take the game. Also, you have to remember the emotional roller coaster of the loss of his brother and his return to the game to beat the Wolves.

Artest fouled him hard, but they are told that if your gonna foul someone, make sure it's not an AND-1 situation. He was probably going to leave the floor after that foul since the game was over.

Ben took exception to what he felt was a cheap flagrant and shoved Artest around the neck/chin area.

The ref (who looked like a 6th grader among the players) held Artest back, BUT Artest was not making a move towards a confrontation which is what Ben was going for.

Rasheed.........RASHEED WALLACE of all people was the peace maker. He pushed Stephen Jackson aside while he was trying to break up the fight. Jackson took exception to the amount of force used, and Lindsay Hunter started yelling at him (don't know where that came from) and Derrick Coleman (He's about 62 years old) got Hunters back. That was when you saw Jackson get into his boxing stance at the bottom of the screen and he and Coleman were jawing.

I personally thought that Artest laying on the table was more of a taunt, but he may have had to lay down after when Ben did, at Ben. Ben threw the towel and he got up, but laid back down.

That's when the cup was thrown (in which the television crew said that the fan with the white cap who started punching Artest from behind was the one who threw it) and Artest made his way into the stands. Just to clarify, the fan that Artest attacked ACTED LIKE he was the one who threw the cup.

Most of the following was continuously shown, so I think you got the idea. Like in most sports, there are security guards present, but when a fan gets on the field, it's about self-defense. The guys that Artest and O'Neal (and an assistant coach) hit on the court deserved every ounce of the force throw towards their jaws.

Not to be long winded, but there's the Right way and the Real way. In all actuality, Artest WAS in the wrong for going into the stands, Wallace WAS wrong for going after Artest, but the fans have about 80% of the rest.

The reason that Artest was wrong was because (and he DID say this in an interview not even a week ago I believe in his automobile) he is a role-model, if he wants to be or not, and has kids looking up to him.

They did add footage of fans that were stunned and children crying.

19. live2ball

live2ball JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting groupiezsuck:</div><div class="quote_post">What kind of IDIOT goes into the stands and starts hitting fans that didnt do anything?!

Go back and watch the video, -- ARTEST AND JACKSON WERE PUNCHING FANS THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CUP THROWING. (Yea, go watch the video before you make some <font color="Blue">******</font> comment.. the guy Artest attacked was not the guy who threw the cup)

I agree <font size="3">100000000000000000%</font> that the guy who threw the cup should have been arrested, but to go into the stands and hit people that were innocent is <font color="Blue">*******</font> rediculous!

Artest and the Pacers DESERVED to be punched by the fans who were DEFENDING the innocent guys getting pummeled.

I do not agree with fans throwing things at players but Ron Artest should have never went into the stands like that. Yea, I know you are going to say "self defense" - BUT HOW IS IT SELF DEFENSE WHEN YOU ARE BEATING UP A GUY THAT DIDNT DO IT!? The guys on ESPN are clueless right now.

I hope the fan that started it all is arrested, and charged with assault. But I also think Jackson and Artest should be arrested for assaulting fans that had nothing to do with the incident.

<font color="Blue"><font size="1">Watch the language - VC</font></font></div>
    R U RETARDED

How can u say a fred jones who was just standing there deserves to get punched by a fan

The guy was acting like he did it laughing at him. And wouldn't the fan point to the culprit.

80% detroit fans fault

20. TheNextJordan8

TheNextJordan8 JBB JustBBall Member

Change the Thread Title to Pistons Fans are Maniacs.