Article: Garbage time still important to Ellis

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Montay, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Montay

Montay JBB JustBBall Member

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Warriors rookie guard Monta Ellis got his first action in seven games and was quite impressive.
    He checked in for Baron Davis with 8:16 to play Tuesday and the Warriors trailing 91-73 and helped turn garbage time in to a glimmer of hope. He didn't get time at point guard, but he displayed his scoring ability. Playing alongside Jason Richardson and Derek Fisher on the perimeter, Ellis had seven points and an assist in nine minutes, giving him 15 points in his past 22 minutes of action.
    "He's got poise, no question," coach Mike Montgomery said. "It's a little easier when you're down 20 to be able to do that. ... We're down 20 and they're probably a little more relaxed on him. We'll try to get him as much opportunity as we can, let him develop that way."
    Ellis started by hitting a 19-footer. Minutes later, he drove and found Richardson for a 3-pointer. He then nailed a 17-foot jumper to cap an 8-0 run that pulled the Warriors to within 96-84 with four minutes left.
    He capped the game's scoring with a 3-pointer with 1.3 seconds left.
    "I've been doing that all my life, no matter what level it is," said Ellis, who also made a nice defensive play on Eddie Jones, staying with Jones on a drive to the basket and stripping him of the ball.
    "It don't matter what time in the game or what situation it is, I'm still going to play my game regardless."
    No guarantees
    Montgomery has been aware of the short career spans of NBA coaches. But the news of Bob Weiss' firing after just 30 games as coach of the Sonics drew a wowed reaction from Montgomery.
    Seattle started 13-17 under Weiss, who was promoted to replace Nate McMillan in the offseason. Montgomery said the expectations of repeating last season's success might have been too much.
    "That's too bad," Montgomery said. "They really overachieved last year, and they lost some things."
    Such a quick trigger by Sonics management makes Montgomery -- who won just 11 of his first 30 games with the Warriors -- appreciate the organization's faith in him, right?
    "Hey," he said. "I might get to my office and my keys might not work."
    Off glass
    Warriors center Adonal Foyle (back spasms) was inactive for the second straight game but said he's feeling better. Montgomery said the Warriors are being cautious. ... With 2:11 left in the first quarter, Davis got into it with Grizzles swingman Dahntay Jones. After Jones fouled Davis, the two stood nose-to-nose exchanging words before teammates came between them. They each received a technical foul. Davis was booed thereafter. ... Bobby Jackson took over as Memphis' starting point guard on the same day Damon Stoudamire had successful surgery to repair his right patellar tendon. But Grizzlies president Jerry West, down to oft-injured Jackson and Antonio Burks, has started the search for a point guard. The Memphis Commercial Appeal reported Washington's Chucky Atkins and New Jersey's Jeff McInnis as candidates.
    -- Marcus Thompson II

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctime...ts/13545987.htm

2. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, it was a garbage time, but he looked composed. He was small, skinny, and his baby face never helps for a high schooler, but man, he was fast. He reminded me of watching Iverson with turbo in NBA Live game. I don't know how he can get some playing time, but hope he can be inserted more often...

3. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I'm really impressed with his skills. I thought Montay Ellis would be the next Dajaun Wagner, but Ellis actually has vision of the floor and plays defense. This guy should be able to transition well into the point guard position eventually. I still think most point guards are better served spending at least a year or two in college running a star coach's system.

4. Montay

Montay JBB JustBBall Member

Aaron Miles has to be signed by the 6th of Jan. I'm hoping they let Miles go so that the Warriors can give those minutes to my boy Monta. He looks ready, and brings more scoring and pressure than Miles ever will. Monta is 20 years old so I don't consider him a high schooler in spite of his baby face. Monta has some skills, and yes he needs a lot of work on his handle and point skills, but his potential is huge. Miles was an interesting experiment but his potential is limited by his inability to score the ball.

5. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Montay:</div><div class="quote_post">Aaron Miles has to be signed by the 6th of Jan. I'm hoping they let Miles go so that the Warriors can give those minutes to my boy Monta. He looks ready, and brings more scoring and pressure than Miles ever will. Monta is 20 years old so I don't consider him a high schooler in spite of his baby face. Monta has some skills, and yes he needs a lot of work on his handle and point skills, but his potential is huge. Miles was an interesting experiment but his potential is limited by his inability to score the ball.</div>
    I'd rather see Monta more as well but I'd keep Miles just in case. In a relevant game (maybe we are fighting for the playoffs or in the playoffs) I would rather have Miles come in and run the point for 5 minutes than Monta. Monta isnt a pure PG, he is only 19-20 and fresh out of high school, and he doesnt have a very good handle. Miles isnt flashy or a good scorer but hes under control and hes played in big games for a major college. According to Monty he knows the plays, I think if he gets some playing time to gain some in-game experience he will quickly learn to be relatively mistake free, hes already pretty polished in terms of fundamentals; he does a good job of protecting the ball, moving the ball, playing defense, and hes got a decent mid-range J.

Here's Monty's comment on Miles:

`He knows (the offense) and knows what we're trying to get out of it,'' Coach Mike Montgomery said. ``He's stayed very positive all the way through. He's with the guys, encouraging them. I think he's been a great teammate. He's still a guy that can play in the game, but with Baron (Davis) and (Derek Fisher), there's not been a lot of opportunities for him.''

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...rs/13537133.htm

6. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I hope we keep Miles, personally. With Baron known to be injury prone and Fisher not a pure point, it's good to have extreme depth at the point guard position. Plus, he's been doing his job and playing within the system as a setup guy. I think he's got the talent to be an above average distributor and a great ball thief with decent quickness/athleticism. His shot will come along within the flow of the game. I just don't think it's good to have a point guard that doesn't look to set others up first. Scorers like Fisher and Ellis like to shoot it before anybody else touches it. The other 4 guys might not appreciate it, so it's important that the point guard's strategy and mindset is to get the ball to where his teammates like it. Miles plays like that.

Remember Chris Duhon? Not too tall, not lightning quick. Some said he had no offense, but the guy can score when he needs to and he can fill up the assists column. I just think having an extra guy like Miles who is a leader, good defender and a playmaker is an asset. It wouldn't hurt keeping him just in case somebody else wants him. Something fair and something that keeps him in the league. Many said the guy should have been drafted.