OT Attending NBA games in the future...

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Orion Bailey, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

So ive been thinking a out this alot based on how they are currently letting season ticket fans watch the game and see themselves.

but to me it seems like its still just like watching the game on the couch. Cause the fans are.
    So this got me thinking on how to improve it. And my thoughts may eliminate fans physically attending in the future.

this is what i would do:

install a rotating camera on every seat in the arena. Allow the camera to be remotely operated for viewing angles/movement.
    The teams will provide a headset for every fan. Once the headset is on and logged in, The movement of the camera in the seat will mimick the headset movement.
    So the fan at home is seeing a virtual view of the game from their seat and can look or focus on what they want at any time.

i think this might be pretty cool and possibly the future of fan viewing.

Anyone have any thoughts on how virtual realities can possibly change how or if we attend games in the future

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    PDXFonz likes this.
  2. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Cant believe this isnt picking up any track from all the tech geeks here....

3. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I’ve thought about that as well, there are a lot of things that go into it though such as no longer having fans means no longer needing concessions means no longer needing a lot of employees. I could see it more as a way to change how we watch the game. Maybe set up cameras for a 360 view of the court that everyone at home can access. Mic’d up like a floor level seat essentially. Separate from in the crowd or TV. Eventually once virtual takes off which is 100% inevitable meaning so long as humanity continues to progress that day will assuredly come - I do believe this will be a thing. Could change pricing for in person a bit as well since there would be 3 ways to watch and I’m sure they would likely charge separate for the virtual experience. Somewhere is going to lose viewers, Television or In person - and television taking a hit makes the most logical sense.

Would the NBA block this in home markets like nbatv? Or would it even be the opposite and only available in the home market - funds going more to the team (if the team chooses to set this up individually after league approval) than to the league with television deals?