Auburn vs Oregon, "The Natty!" Game Thread!

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by SlyPokerDog, Jan 9, 2011.

1. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

2. Entity

Entity some guy

Full-Time Student, E.E.
    What a freak run. They're going to name that play. Thanks for the ride, Ducks. Don't give up the dream.

3. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

4. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

They lose the game on a last second field goal and people are talking shit. Amazing.

5. DeanMoriarty

DeanMoriarty Member

*sigh*

Now, we're going to hear constant news reports on more dead birds in America.

6. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

great game. nothing to be ashamed about oregon fans...SEC is too good though

7. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Serious question: what does the future hold for the Ducks? How far will they backslide next season?

8. Natebishop3

I don't see it that way. It's not like Auburn came in and blew us out of the water. I'm so tired of hearing this SEC bullshit. Cam Newton looked very average. Their vaunted offense was not nearly as unstoppable as people made them out to be. Their defense played very good, but the Ducks also made a ton of unforced errors. This wasn't a case of another team just being superior... it was a close game, and the Ducks shot themselves in the foot again and again and again.

9. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

Depends on what you view as a step back. If possibly not playing in the natty is a step back then yeah a step back can easily happen. But this school is here to stay as a perennial PAC 10/12 contender. They have made these last two runs on top 25 recruiting classes... now they are in good position to pull top 10 classes and above

10. Natebishop3

Yeah, I don't really see them making a HUGE step back, but I expect more from DT next season. He'll be a junior and he can't be making stupid mistakes like he did tonight.

11. oldmangrouch

When was the last time a team played for the Natty 2 years in a row? Honestly, I can't come up with an answer. The Ducks caught lightning in a bottle this season, and history says they are unlikely to do it again.

12. Natebishop3

Hey, if you still want some Natty gear, I'm sure that shit will be dirt cheap tomorrow :devilwink:

13. Wheels

Ohio state about 4 years iirc. But I don't necessarily view not playing In bcs back to back years a step back. So I guess what do you view as a step back?

14. Natebishop3

I think next year will be a rebuilding year of sorts. We'll still have Thomas, James, Barner, etc, but we will have lost Matthews and a bunch of other seniors. I think there will be an adjustment period... but you never know. Maybe not.

15. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Oregon should be the best team in the conference next year, but running the table is a tough thing and the odds are stacked against it.

Let's hope for a trip to the Rose Bowl and see what happens...

Ed O.

16. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    Well these were certainly two elite teams, in a Monte Carlo simulation where this game is played 10000 times Oregon would probably win a fair amount. They looked comparable to Auburn, but Auburn looked slightly better in this game.

They had time, timeouts, a very good opportunity at mid-field to decide the game even without the miracle run. Before that they almost milked the whole clock, so Auburn set the pace of this game offensively. There was no need for Newton to become a gunslinger, or go for fourth downs. Only when they blew the lead did they finally get aggressive again, they looked overall a bit better than Oregon. Newton looked respectable and was solid, Auburn had a big enough lead they didn't need to pass much for most of the second half. Or go for that last TD through the air or on a qb draw.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  17. Wheels

totally agree on that.. obviously I want to go undefeated every year, but I realize how hard it is to do so. But No doubt in my mind this is the best team in the Pac-12 next year.

18. Wheels

I disagree here. Thomas did pretty good throwing the ball when under constant pressure. There were not many read plays where he even had time to make the read without Fairley and co already blowing up the play. Thomas started off jumpy but I wouldnt say he made bad decisions though, but he did sail a few balls high at the beginning. Thomas did pretty good IMO.

19. oldmangrouch

That's actually a tough question. What I'd *like* is for them to win the Pac 10 and be a top 10 team.....but I'm not sure that is realistic. If they finish worse than second in the Pac 10 and/or out of the top 20, I will consider the season a failure.

20. Wheels

actually very realistic expectations at this point with the state of the program. I cant name 2 other Pac 10/12 teams who are better than the Ducks so I would think no worse than 2nd would be good, but this team is good enough to be first again. Next year I do think they will win the Pac 10 and be a top 10 team though. So If that isnt a step back to you, then no I dont think they will take a step back :cheers: