Auburn vs Oregon, "The Natty!" Game Thread!

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by SlyPokerDog, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

How do you think we'll handle losing our seniors Wheels?

2. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

some big big shoes to fill in Matthews, Paysinger, Maehl, Jackson III (although he sometimes drove me crazy) and a lot of our line. I'm more comfortable with our line though cause how many of the two deep got big game experience. WR is where I am most worried about losing leadership. Maehl I am not so thrilled about filling his shoes... Sure there are faster, stronger, bigger WR's, but the dude was straight up clutch for us the last 3 years in particular. And dont forget DJ Davis either. We have some good young talent coming in with Sumler, Blackmon, and Rashaun Vaughn, but I just wont feel as good about that position until they take that fear from me lol. Tuinei is solid, Huff is great, but after that I'm not sure who will step up, Cantu seems to be hurt often, so that leaves Justin Hoffman after him in the depth chart? I would feel a lot better about it if Diante Jackson could have kept his grades up and got some time in this year. Matthews hurts a lot and Paysinger as well, but I feel pretty good with Kaddu, Clay, Bo Lokombo, and the additions of Wallace, and Lyerla if he plays there, and possibly one more or so in recruiting (please Dawson please)

3. Wheels

Also I guess to help alleviate some of the WR situation, I could see Barner lining up in the slot some more if Huff can slide outside, and that would help by getting Barner and LaMike on the field more, as well as giving Seastrunk more of an opportunity to get some reps in.

4. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    A step back? This team will take a step forward and win it all next year IMO. Who are they losing besides Maehl and Matthews? The experience getting this far gave them and all the players returning and plugging in some solid freshman will just improve this team. Plus the game against LSU will definitely be a big boost to the SOS if they can win that. LSU is expected to win the SEC next year.

The Ducks aren't going anywhere.

One other thing, I find it comical that Beavers fans are jump to talk smack after the Ducks just got beat in the National Title game. A.) The Beavs have never been in the title game. B.) The Ducks got beat by a field goal. C.) Duck fans were all about seeing the Beavs win the baseball title a few years back.

5. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Great effort by the Ducks. Auburn was a little too big up front, butin the end, we shoul have beaten that team

6. Wheels

7. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Only a matter of time before the Newton thing blows up.....but it won't really change anything. They can take away his awards and even team victories - but everybody who watched him will still know he was a dominant college player. It also won't impact his NFL earnings.

8. Sex Panther

Sex Panther works every time.

Ask.
    He won't be a hall of famer, regardless.

9. Wheels

[video=youtube;1HxhMIHmSCw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HxhMIHmSCw&feature=player_embedded[/video]

10. Sex Panther

Ask.
    I think this game just showed how much of a beast Fairleys gonna be in the NFL

11. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    He seems more polished than Vick coming out of college. So the talent is there, we'll have to see.

12. Sex Panther

Ask.
    The problem with that is, he's nothing like Vick.

Vick is a once-in-a-lifetime athlete who had one of the 5 most powerful arms. He throws laser beams down 50-60 yards. At the very least, he was accurate with the long ball. Cam doesn't possess the legs or the arm Vick has. That Oregon game really exposed a lot of weaknesses in his game. I can see him (at best) being as good as the Falcons Vick but nowhere near Eagle's Vick. he reminds me a lot of Vince Young (with Tebow's running), actually.

I hope he's not a bust at the NFL level, though I wouldn't be surprised.

13. huevonkiller

Student.
    He's a Vince Young type of athlete except he's a slightly better passer and has done it on tougher defenses than Oregon. Against Oregon he was solid, not at his best, he threw out his back but even ignoring that he has a whole season of work where he earned a heisman. I don't know how his style translates to the pros but he is more polished than Vince Young and has better passing efficiency than Tebow, combined with being a better runner.

Cam Newton was not exposed against Alabama, 3rd in the nation in points allowed where he tore them up through the air on the road down 24-0. Nor against LSU the 11th scoring defense where he ran over them. He is a freak coming out of the SEC and had the best college football season I've seen. He's so damn tall and he's 20-30 pounds heavier than Vince so he can take a pounding for most of the year. Auburn's defense usually put him in some pretty close games (53rd in the nation, not like Tebow's defenses), Auburn came out on top ultimately because he was so good. He has a lot of upside and didn't win most of the year with a great defense like other SEC champs.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  14. Natebishop3

No way. Vick was a monster. He isn't half the prospect that Vick was. Vick was blazing fast. Newton is just big. Against college defenses his 6'6 frame is an advantage, but in the NFL it won't be nearly as advantageous. I think the Ducks showed that speed can shut him down on the run, and his throwing wasn't even that great.

15. huevonkiller

Student.
    Alabama had a better defense, and LSU...

Well we're talking about their college careers, where Vick wasn't the rusher Newton is.

http://www.hokiesports.com/vick/stats.html

16. Natebishop3

Nice edit lol.

Seriously though, you don't think Vick was the rusher that Newton is? Are you kidding? Newton had more yards because, like I said, his size is a huge advantage in college, but that won't carry over as well in the NFL. He's not that fast.

You watch these highlights and tell me that Newton was more dominant.

[video=youtube;F65K0ETLQZk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F65K0ETLQZk[/video]

[video=youtube;akzUKbrvKts]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akzUKbrvKts[/video]

17. Sex Panther

Ask.
    I like Cam, but his style won't translate all too well in the pros. His mechanics are all off with his throws (kinda like Tebows, but better), and he's not all too accurate with the deep ball. He puts way too much air which will cause a lot of picks in the NFL. I'm actually surprised Cliff Harris didn't pick off more. In college, Cam Newton was so much bigger than his competition he had much more room for error. In the NFL, He'll be above average. Unless he goes into the right system with a spread O, he won't do well against 3-4s or cover schemes. He's not fast/quick enough, nor can he throw darts like Vick. He needs to make the proper hot reads, and if he can't do that in college, I have no idea how he can do it in the NFL where guys are much faster and stronger.

I can see Buffalo taking a chance on him, but they have far too many weaknesses at this point to pay mind. On a personal level, I want him to succeed so the NFL can have one great black QB who doesn't kill dogs.

huevonkiller likes this.
  18. Sex Panther

Ask.
    On a strictly numbers basis. I'm sure thats what Huev meant. The only person i've ever seen as dominant at breaking teams down with his legs was his brother, Marcus Vick.

19. huevonkiller

Student.
    Lol I repped you for the last line. Yeah like I said, he could fail or succeed I don't know. But this kid's size/athleticism is the reason I'd take a chance on him. Monster peaks are what I always aim for.

20. Natebishop3