OT Autistic burnout

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Road Ratt, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Road Ratt

Road Ratt King of my own little world

I have been meaning to make this thread for sometime now. But my head just cleared from extreme sensory processing issues about 2 months ago. I am mostly thinking clearly now, with some issues still needing time to resolve themselves.

I now understand that I have been in an extreme autistic burnout for at least 2 1/2 years. I was only diagnosed 7 years ago, so I had never been through it that I know of. So I had no way to understand how it affects you.

One day about a year ago I was eating dinner when I had to stop and lay down. The feelings I was having were overwhelming, but in a way I had never quite felt before. Afterwards I posted what I felt on an autistic website that I use. They told me what as going on. It has taken a year to almost fully recover. I am sure it would have gone quicker if it hadn't been for the pandemic keeping the stress going.

Sorry for the videos, but they will explain better than I, or any text, ever could.

2. Road Ratt

What is Executive Functioning?

At it's worse I was literally talking to myself in the kitchen, to keep myself on track of my current task. Everyday tasks became much harder to accomplish.

Chris Craig likes this.
  3. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    Thanks for sharing this. I have a limited understanding of autism. In this instance, I'm glad there is a better description than regression. Despite the current condition, this sounds like hope, of sorts.

4. Road Ratt

What is Sensory Processing Disorder?

These are just 3 of the most problematic issues that I found. Most of the stuff that was going on, I had never even heard of before.

At it's worse I couldn't take a shower anymore. The water didn't feel right, at all. Baths had to be quick.

My sense of touch was off. I had difficulty sensing that my food may be too hot, I burned my mouth several times, bit my tongue, side of my mouth, etc. . Along with my sensory processing issues skewing my ability to process what I was feeling. I had a double whammy going on. It was quite the experience.

Chris Craig likes this.
  5. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    Something julius suffers from? :fishing:

6. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing!

Orion Bailey and Road Ratt like this.
  7. donkiez

donkiez Well-Known Member

Yes thanks for sharing. This is a reminder that everyone is fighting a battle that the rest of us know nothing about.

Stay strong friend.

8. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Wow, that just sounds miserable. We are so dependent on our senses, I just can't imagine what it would be like to have them just start malfunctioning on you like that, and even worse have nobody around who could really understand what was going on.

9. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    My nephew has executive function disorder, but his parents (mostly his dad) refuses to believe it's related to ASD so instead of helping him they pretty much treat him like he's just lazy, etc.

I watched a video (I don't have the link to it handy) where it described trying to "appear typical", and how that explains how someone on the spectrum could appear tired or exhausted after doing something typically considered "minor". I.e., working a 2-3 hour job vs an 8 hour day. It was kind of a mind opener for me, in that having to put on a front (or act, whatever the lingo you want to use) all the time to appear as though you're typical, or the energy it takes to cope with things that bother you/upset you/impact your life (that most of us don't really even worry about), has to be tiring.

I remember as a kid in grade school, I'd have times when I would experience weird sensations coursing through me. It was kind of like an adrenaline rush maybe, I don't know. Anyway, I would get it during tests, or when I would kind of be in a stressful (or sometimes not even stressful) setting. My sense of touch was amplified, clothing felt really brittle and rough, and it felt like I was massively stronger than I was before (picking up stuff felt easier, etc). Noises would really be an issue, as things would get much much louder and grating on my ears. thankfully, these didn't last long and I haven't had one of them since I was probably in the 4th or 5th grade (almost 37-40 years ago now). But I imagine if that is similar to what some people on the ASD feel, I could totally understand why it is that they can have burnout, etc.

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I want to thank you for sharing ....I will take time to watch each of these videos and try to gain more understanding...I hope you find you comfort zone and get through the tougher issues you face and find that balance you need ...if you ever need someone to listen I'm here for you my friend....in my career as a teacher I watched a remarkable young man who struggled with autism become one of the brightest students to ever graduate..he got a full academic scholarship and was a balanced and adjusted young man last I saw him....in my view a complete success story....warmed my heart to watch him grow up in my community and achieve his dreams..thank you again for opening up and sharing

11. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

What a weird disrespectful thing to say about somebody... Fuck is wrong with these conservatives...

Y'all greased the skids for ignoring mental healthcare in this country and have the nerve to say shit like this... I'd say shameful but y'all are shameless...

PDXFonz, ehizzy3 and riverman like this.
  12. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    Aww, shuckins, I was only joking. Lighten up. ;)

13. julius

singer songwriter
    I appreciate the effort, but it's better to let him dig the hole deeper. Every time he say's he's not something, he just sticks his foot in his mouth even further. So him deciding that making a joke about someone by implying they're autistic or on the spectrum says a whole lot more about him than it does about me or anyone else.

Apparently he thinks it's fine to make fun of people who have a disability. Not a good luck, I'll grant you that, but it's his true colors.

dviss1 likes this.
  14. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

You're joking about a problem that has gone uncared for since Reagan.

Y'all continuously complain about the mental health of these mass shooters but don't make ANY actual effort to take guns out of their hands.

Conservatives have NO ROOM to joke about this shit and y'all need to stop.

It's. Not. Funny...

I don't need to lighten up.

Y'all are the same MFs to complain about our unhoused community without understanding that a full 35-40% of them suffer from mental illness.

Y'all need to help fix the problem y'all exacerbated...

15. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    I think you may have blocked me, but if you haven't, I really recommend a gluten-free diet. The more they're discovering about the gut-brain link, the less wacky this seems. Trust me, it makes a big difference.

16. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    It's fine, but I'm on completely level ground. I didn't realize you had suffered from such. My apologies, indeed. As to @Road Ratt, I applaud his/her courageousness and candor in the fight. I think he/she realizes that. But, I'll let he/she make that call and I'll respond accordingly.

17. julius

singer songwriter
    What in the hell? I never said I 'suffered from such'. I related an issue I had as a kid which if being on the spectrum is anything like that, I totally can relate to how exhausting (etc) it would be. Do you really lack reading comprehension skills or something?

Ignoring the "suffering" from crack, do you ever think things through before you say them?

18. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Bottom line:

Instead of joking about this shit, you and your conservative buddies need to get your hands dirty fixing this shit.

julius likes this.
  19. julius

singer songwriter
    Diet can play a big role (not that it causes autism, which I know you aren't saying). I watched a video on how a change in diet can totally change how someone on the spectrum reacts to things, as corny as it sounds.

But it's true of people not on the spectrum too.

20. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

My son has sensory processing disorder. It's not something to joke about.

dviss1, PDXFonz, julius and 2 others like this.